Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ringing into someones voicemail

• 11-01-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    A friend of mine rang into someones voicemail by putting a 5 after the prefix and before the number. This person didnt have voicemail activated but seemily if you do this with vodafone it activates the voicemail for the future.

This person is now seeking legal advice as my friend went into his voicemail and left him a message, nothing deflamatory. he didnt mess with settings or anything lilke that.

Does the other person have a case, hes saying it was an invasion of his privacey and personal voicemail.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

*not legal advice - just general cop on*

course he doesn't have a case; i've been leaving messages on peoples phones since 1997 by sticking a 5 in front of their number and it's common practise for people who want to leave messages for people they don't want to talk to.

but - the issue raised is interesting...if A purchases a mobile phone with the number 086 123 4567, and delays in setting up the voicemail on it by setting a password for external access, then any amount of mischief can be caused by persons of a malevlolent nature. What should happen is that the mobile companies should (and correct me if i'm wrong on this) actually place a password on your voicemail ab initio that would be known only to you, in the same way as, say, your self service password on Vodafone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jackhammer

Your friend has nothing to worry about. He only left a message

it's illegal to access the other messages left on the other person's phone. This is done by entering that person's pin (or the default one if s/he didn't set one up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

thats what I thought, thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a publically-accessible telephone number provided de facto with every mobile phone subscription in the country. The ability to dial a 5 first is neither private nor kept quiet. The mobile companies will tell you that you can do this.
    As said, if there had been an attempt to access the messages, then it would be a breach of privacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

jackhammer wrote: »
    it's illegal to access the other messages left on the other person's phone. This is done by entering that person's pin (or the default one if s/he didn't set one up).

Here is a good link which discusses it:

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2006/06/does-irish-law-protect-your-voicemail.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement