Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Minor Tip in a Car Park

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I was in the Blanchardstown Retail Park car park at lunch time looking around the shops. I came back to my car to go home and there was a white van reversing to get into the space beside mine.

I hopped into my car and the guy in the van reversed back so that he could drive into the space (rather than reverse). I put on my seat belt and was about to start the car when I looked forward and saw the guy clipping the front of my car! I beeped so that he would know I was there, and he stopped and reversed.

I jumped out to see how bad the damage was. Fortunately there is only some paint scraped off the front side panel (it will still have to be repaired), but his reaction was priceless. "Why didn't you reverse back so that there was room for me to get in?"

I got a bit annoyed at this stage and said we would just exchange insurance details and I would get onto the insurance company and let them settle it.

He then went to the scratches on the car and said "I work in a garage. They can just polish that out".

The problem with him is that he didn't see any problem with scratching my car. "I am not worried. That is why I have insurance" was his third comment that wound me up.

Maybe it is just me, but if I ever scratched someone elses car, the first thing I would do would be to apologise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I hate tarring with the one brush, but it was a white van... your description of his attitude doesn't amaze me somehow!
    Be sure to get the best job you can on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

It was a stereotypical white van, and possibly a stereotypical white van driver?

I have attached a picture of the scratch. It is not a big one, but from previous experience, it probably needs the whole panel repainted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thats a terrible pic, but it looks like it'll polish out. If you could get a clearer picture it may be cleared what damage was done.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Thats a terrible pic, but it looks like it'll polish out. If you could get a clearer picture it may be cleared what damage was done.

The picture is appaling, because I took it with my nokia e65 which has a crap camera.

The scuffs will probably polish out, but there are two areas where the paint has been completely removed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ring his insurance company asap, tell them what happened and you are looking to proceed with the repairs.

they will contact him depending on theprice of the damage, but if it needs to be painted go get a quote and submit it to them too. but ring them asap before he rings them and says another version of the story.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    ring his insurance company asap, tell them what happened and you are looking to proceed with the repairs.

they will contact him depending on theprice of the damage, but if it needs to be painted go get a quote and submit it to them too. but ring them asap before he rings them and says another version of the story.

I did ring them as soon as it happened. I sat in the car for half an hour and got it all logged with both my insurance company and his. He is insured with Quinn Direct, and they are going to send someone out on Monday.

Advertisement