Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When Rock/Metal covers beat the original

• 11-01-2008 6:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

OK so technically the you tube clip below isnt rock or metal nor was the original, but given metal is my music of choice Ive posted here. Note the clip is NSFW due to language Its a good example of someone taking a song from a different genre, adding their own style to it, and coming out with something pretty cool.

So what examples have you of when one of our favoured rock/metal acts cover non metal/rock songs and do a better job than the original? Do they work? Do we like them just because its our favourite bands doing them?

Metallica covered Whiskey in the Jar and it didnt work for because it lacked the soul and knowledge of traditional irish music to pull it off.

On the other hand, Beatallica who do a hybrid of metalica and beatles songs works. Ok its extremely cheesey at times, but the songs are ashamedly catchy!

Also ashamedly, i think Limp Bizkit's cover of George Michael's Faith is good as it brings a heavy agreesive edge to an otherwise, er, camp song.

Similary Machine Head's cover of Message in a Bottle for the same reason.

So whats your view on the cover song? When is it acceptable? When does it work and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

tura Satanas version of Tainted Love kicks the arse off of any other version I have heard. Especially Mansons soulless version.

For me cover songs work when you can either sense the cover-er is having fun with something they love, (such as bad news doing Bohemian Rhapsody, or anything by Beatalica or Hayseed Dixie), or if you can see the band doing something different and original with purpose with the song, like message in a bottle by Machine head.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I know its not metal but Johnny Cash' version of hurt by NiN is awesome too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Blind Guardian covering Mr Sandman

Dream Theater covering Pink Floyd. Yeah I know a lot of people will argue with me about this. I don't necessarily think the covers are better, but I think it's one of the bands that they cover well.. James La Bries voice really suits these - especially "Hey You"

Also really like a lot of the covers on Nativity in Black

Type O Negative do a few good covers too - Summer Breeze the first one that springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I think Disturbed did a cover of shout by Tears for Fears was a great cover.

Disturbeds Shout 2000
    vs
    Original Tears for Fears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

that clip posted by the OP is brilliant, funny with some spectacle incorporated, brought out the narrative imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Apocalyptica - Helden is one of the more interesting covers of late. Its a cover of David Bowie's "Heroes" performed by Till Lindman in German. Bloody fantastic!

Umbra et Imago's cover of Rock me Amadeus is worth checking out. Not for artistic merit, but because its pretty ridiculously funny. Its on youtube but NSFW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i saw type o negative do a great version of magical mystery tour.

and what about this, i found it over on metalireland:

http://www.myspace.com/spiralsektor

its kiss from rose by seal covered by HEAD CONTROL SYSTEM , who feature Garm on vocals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Whiskey in the jar - Metallica (the obvious one)

Davidian - Lostprophets (is VERY good)

White Wedding - Murderdolls (much prefer this to the original)

Breaking The Law - Fightstar (its brilliant!)

all in all i like covers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I'd love to say the scissors sisters version of 'Comfortably numb' for a laugh but I'd probably be banned for life

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Tool - No Quarter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Fad wrote: »
    Davidian - Lostprophets
    Is that a cover of the Machine Head song?
    Fad wrote:
    White Wedding - Murderdolls
    I was actually thinking of this song when I was about to reply :).
    Both Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead have done covers of U2's Sunday, Bloody Sunday which I quite liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine do some fun covers of various Metal, rock & rap tunes. Whether or not they improve on the originals is debatable but their cover of 'The Trees' by Rush had me in stitches (although I'm a huge Rush fan anyway).

Tori Amos did a cover album a few years back (called 'Strange Little Girl') and it contained her take on Slayer's 'Raining Blood', but years before that she'd covered 'Smells like teen spirit' as a b-side, when I first heard it I thought 'oh that what he was saying!' ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Feelgood wrote: »
    Tool - No Quarter

indeed

Bear McCreary - All Along The Watchtower

it might not be genre hopping, but the two versions are pretty different.

malice_ wrote: »
    Is that a cover of the Machine Head song?

Yeah :)

its brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'd go for Machine Head absolutely NAILING "Battery" on the Kerrang "Master Of Puppets" tribute cd.

Friggin brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Jimi Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower. Much better than the original IMO.

Disturbed- Land of Confusion. I much prefer this to the original Phil Collins version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The Who's version of Mose Allisons Young Man Blues

Cosmic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

The whole of Renegades album by Rage Against The Machine. Not just covers but complete re-imagining of the songs with great riffs. their version of Erik B's Microphone Fiend kicks all sorta ass.

Also love Shout2000 by Disturbed and Chili Peppers do great covers live. Donna Summer's "I feel love" with John on vocals and flea doin that crazy-fast bassline is deadly. Fire, Search And Destroy, Higher Ground and loadsa others I cant remember right now

ec18 wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower. Much better than the original IMO.

true that.
    i heard a good spanishy cover of it in prison break season 3 was interesting but you didnt get to hear the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Decapitated's cover of Mandatory Suicide by Slayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSpLTTm6Lhg

R.I.P. Vitek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I somehow forgot to mention in my last post the various covers that Fear Factory have released over the years.
    There are a few others I think but these were the ones I thought of immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac)
    Thin Lizzy - Rosalie (Bob Seger)
    Metal Church - Highway Star (Deep Purple)
    Queensryche - Scarborough Fair (Simon And Garfunkel)

Apart from them I can't think of any covers that I prefer to the original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

ec18 wrote: »

Disturbed- Land of Confusion. I much prefer this to the original Phil Collins version

Thats a great version!

Machine Head - Negative Creep is a good cover of the Nirvana original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Fad wrote: »

Davidian - Lostprophets (is VERY good)

Breaking The Law - Fightstar (its brilliant!)

Christ that Priest cover completly butchers the song, it's like Killswitch covering Holy Diver, they made it sound too modern. It completly takes away from the 80's sound of the song, which is what makes them so good.

You can really tell the drums and vocals can't keep up on the Machine Head cover but they had a good hack at it.

As for brilliant covers,
    Machine Head doing Battery, ****ing brilliant
    Tom Waits covering I Don't Wanna Grow Up by The Ramones,
    Opeth covering Soldier of Fortune by Deep Purple
    Mayhem covering Witching Hour by Venom

Can't think of anything else at the moment

nonamemark wrote: »
    Christ that Priest cover completly butchers the song, its sounds too modern

But what'd be the point of doing a straight up cover?
    Thats what makes me like that AND holy diver, i CANT stand the original breaking the law OR white wedding (not denying how influential the songs were) it seems as if rob halford or billy idol put no effort into singing they just kinda spoke, with charlie simpson, he put loads of effort into it, bringing screaming and what seems to be passion, and i just prefer the vocals and all round heaviness :)

rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Poison by Tarja?

Actually what the fcuk was I thinking for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Amazing Grace(yes,that amazing grace)by Entombed

Tourettes (Nirvana) by Impaled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Thought the Lemonheads doing Madonna's Borderline was inspired - they made the song sound enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

FunkZ wrote: »
    Poison by Tarja?

Actually what the fcuk was I thinking for a second.

I hate that cover. I always skip it on the cd.

Advertisement