Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When Rock/Metal covers beat the original

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Blood for Blood's cover of Ultra Violence(The Oppressed) is an absolute classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I also love that Disturbed cover of land of Confusion. Much better than In Flames version. Great video too. And I completely disagree with the OP's opinion of Tallica's cover of Whisky. Why would they want to understand the nuances of trad, they're Metallica- they whacked the gain up to 11 and tuened it into a monster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Den_M wrote: »
    Tallica's cover of Whisky. Why would they want to understand the nuances of trad, they're Metallica- they whacked the gain up to 11 and turned it into a monster!

Yeah completely agree!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I like Faith No More's version of Sparks' 'This Town ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us'.
    Someone mentioned earlier Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt', brilliant, but I must say most of those covers he's done have been fantastic, my personal favourite, Depeche Mode's 'Personal Jesus'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Manson's version of Tainted Love is pretty cool as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I was watching Q a few weeks ago and they had the 20 best covers or something, and the had American Woman by Lenny Kravitz, and I was just left thinking that it was one of the worst covers I have ever heard, it just did not have the soul that the original had.

My favorite cover mus Hendrix's All Along The WatchTower, even Dylan admits its better than his version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Cradle Of Filth covering Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

mp3guy wrote: »
    Cradle Of Filth covering Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

Cradle of Filth's version of Cliff Richard's 'Devil Woman' is a bit of a laugh. Just slightly ironic ;)

nonamemark wrote: »
    Tom Waits covering I Don't Wanna Grow Up by The Ramones,

Eh.... Wrong way round. Ramones covered Waits. Google is your friend :)

Can't beat Vanilla Ice covering... Himself! Except in a Nu-Metal way (Actuallly, its still ****)

Therapy? doing Breaking the Law rocked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

the automatic coving epic-faith no more that was brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Death's cover of Painkiller is pretty damn good (wouldn't say it quite tops the original though);
    Priest's Johnny B. Goode is brilliant too.
    One time where a cover definitely tops the original is Edge of Sanity's cover of Blood of my Enemies (Manowar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Priest's Johnny B. Goode is brilliant too.

Uggh, that's probably the worst song they've ever recorded :eek:

(parental guidance being the exception)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Children of Bodom - Dont stop at the top (scorpions) Class cover!
    Nightwish - Phantom of the opera
    Children of bodom - She is beautiful (Andrew WK) Bit of a guilty pleasure!
    White Stripes - Joleen
    Sepultura - the hunt
    Six feet under - Death or glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I like the Children of Bodom cover of Rebel Yell a lot. Pretty similar to the original but edgier (spelling?)

The fightstar cover of Breaking the law is hilariously bad. They make it sound so serious that it loses all its charm completely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Lombardo and trujillo did a cool cover of battery a few years ago, tis on my ipod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Come to think of it Bowies version of Lets spend the night together tops an already great original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Foo Fighters and Brian May doing Have a Cigar will always go done as a beaut for me. And apparently Taylor Hawkins sang it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Megadeth - White rabbit = Goodth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Fad wrote: »

Breaking The Law - Fightstar (its brilliant!)

:eek: ITS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

its way too heavy, sounds nothing like the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

CoB's cover of Oops I Did It Again and Some Body Put Something in My Drink are fantastic. I wonder what cover they'll do for the new album.

Within Temptation do a great cover of Running Up That Hill. I much prefer it to the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

I've got quite the soft spot for Korn's cover of Psychedelic Furs' Love My Way. I don't know a whole lot of people who agree but I think both versions are great when you judge them as seperate songs 'cause Korn's version is VERY different yet special in it's own way.
    Or maybe that's just me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I used to think that Tool's cover of No Quarter was 100 times better then Zeppelins original but then I saw Zeppelin play it and I was proved highly wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I forgot about this one and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it: Sepultura's cover of Bullet The Blue Sky by U2. I'm not sure if it beats the original but it's still well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Nightwish wrote: »
    Within Temptation do a great cover of Running Up That Hill. I much prefer it to the original.

Quite like the Futureheads version of Hounds of Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Therapy's version of Gimme, Gimme, Gimme by Abba is pretty good.

Actually, Yngwie Malmsteen's version of the same song is quite good too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Another vote for Disturbed's version of Land of Confusion, very like the original, but just that little bit heavier, just perfect IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

An additional mention for Sepultura...... but this time for Procreation of the wicked. IIRC, Celtic Frost said they thought it was better than the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

its way too heavy, sounds nothing like the original.

thats part of the reason why i like it so much I HATE THE ORIGINAL!!!

and as ive already pointede out what the hell is the point of keeping to the original ridgidly! honestly whats the point of even recording it your just wasting your time!!!!!!!! RAWR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Don't know if anyone has posted this, Dinosaur Jr's version of the The Cure's Just Like Heaven............brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Don't think this has been posted yet. But here it is , an amazing version of Metallica's fade to black done by the lemonheads .

http://www.youtube.com/v/LaR8rUWyKz4&rel=1

Korn covering Snoop Dogg's "lodi dodi" ( it starts about 2.20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVTIytbV2Lk&feature=related

Machine Head covering the Intro of Korn's Blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4YR2bfVfg

Advertisement