Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When Rock/Metal covers beat the original

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Fad wrote: »
    thats part of the reason why i like it so much I HATE THE ORIGINAL!!!

and as ive already pointede out what the hell is the point of keeping to the original ridgidly! honestly whats the point of even recording it your just wasting your time!!!!!!!! RAWR!

you should check out priest's video for it! so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

you should check out priest's video for it! so funny

oh of course ive seen it and yes it was ridiculous (in a good way :D) but i still prefer fightar's version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭super_shellers

I love Reel Big Fish's version of Take On Me, I prefer it to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Saul Williams also does a ''rap'' cover of Sunday Bloody Sunday on Niggy Tardust.
    Also NINs cover of Joy Divisions ''Dead Souls'' from The Crow is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Therapy's cover of Alternative Ulster isn't bad either ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The WiLDHEARTS usually manage to beat the originals with their covers.

"Cheers Theme: Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy,
    "White Lies" by Jason and the Scorchers,
    "Heroin" by Dog's D'amour,
    "Lost Highway" by Hank Williams,
    "Pump it Up" by Elvis Costello
    and
    "He's a whore" by Cheap Trick. Big Black's version also beats the original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Living Colour doing seven nation army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

mp3guy wrote: »
    Cradle Of Filth covering Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

Children of Bodom covering 'hit me baby one more time'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

bubonicus wrote: »
    Living Colour doing seven nation army.

Thats is so much better than the original

WHITE STRIPES GET YOURSELVES A BASSIST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Paul Daly

thats part of the reason why i like it so much I HATE THE ORIGINAL!!!

and as ive already pointede out what the hell is the point of keeping to the original ridgidly! honestly whats the point of even recording it your just wasting your time!!!!!!!! RAWR!

Completly agree with him,what is the point of recording a cover if your not coing to put your own style to it,playing one faithfully live is great for getting the crowd going but why record it.

....Also the number 12 looks like you's version of My Sharona by the knack great for the sheer hilarity of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How About Metallica's Versions of Breadfan by Budgie, and Am I Evil / It's Electric By Diamondhead??? Totally Surpassed The Originals In My Opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

But what'd be the point of doing a straight up cover?
    Thats what makes me like that AND holy diver, i CANT stand the original breaking the law OR white wedding (not denying how influential the songs were) it seems as if rob halford or billy idol put no effort into singing they just kinda spoke, with charlie simpson, he put loads of effort into it, bringing screaming and what seems to be passion, and i just prefer the vocals and all round heaviness :)

rant over

I know what you mean, but look at the MH cover of Battery, they did the orignal justice and added their own touch to it without changing tempos or whatever. That's a good cover song. Both White Wedding versions are horribe too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cannibal Corpse's cover of No Remorse (Metallica as if ye didn't know :p) is in my regular play list as it's the way the song should've sounded :D

Cephalic Carnage's cover of Jesus Saves (Slayer) is also animal.

But I think my favourite is The Bezerker's cover of Carcass' Corporal Jigsaw Quandry as it have a dangerous effect on my mental state when I listen to it. It's not radically different, but the addition of a 3 million mile and hour drum machine makes the song psychotic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Whoneedsaname47

Cash's version of hurt is easily one of the best covers ive ever heard, practically made the song his own after. However i personally think The Jeff Healy Band's cover of Harisson and Claptons " While my guitar gently weeps" is by far the best cover ive ever heard. Its been covered quite a bit before but these guys really made it a worthwhile song (anyone who can play guitar better than most people can ever imagine to ,regardless of being blind) deserves a mention.

also Children of Bodem's cover of "Hit me baby one more time" suprisingly entertaining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nevermore- The Sound of Silence
    Fear Factory- School (Nirvana)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I think Death's version of Painkiller by Judas Priest is the best I've heard yet, doesn't beat the original though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Without a doubt APC's cover of Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I heard Pearl Jam doing a f**king fabulous version of the Beatles' "Across The Universe" on Ian Dempsey's show yesterday morning. Absolutely brilliant version, imho.

Haven't got a link for it, sorry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Not sure if anybodys mentioned it but Evergreen Terrace have a covers album called "writers block".

They cover Sunday bloody sunday, Mad world, Knowledge, Maniac, The kids arent alrite a nd a few other songs, all put a really good spin on the original versions in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Parsley wrote: »
    Without a doubt APC's cover of Imagine.

i was just going to post that, great version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yep agreed , great version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Also, Even Though Its Not Rock Per Sey.. Any Cover Version That Rodrigo Y Gabriela Have Done.. Stairway To Heaven, Orion Etc are Amazing... Also, Apocalypticia Have Some Unusual Covers!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Also, Even Though Its Not Rock Per Sey.. Any Cover Version That Rodrigo Y Gabriela Have Done.. Stairway To Heaven, Orion Etc are Amazing... Also, Apocalypticia Have Some Unusual Covers!!!:D
    Their cover of Metallica's ''One'' is also a personal favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

metallica's version of whiskey in the jar is ****e...

sacred reich did a crackin job on war pigs..
    xentrix with ghostbusters was class
    and M.O.D. with lulu's "shout"...
    i also heard a good cover of genesis' land of confusion. by disturbed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Faith no Mores cover of Black Sabbaths War pigs is defiantly worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Priests cover of "Paint it Black".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKFtEsauYNc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

ec18 wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower. Much better than the original IMO.

Agreed.

Also:
    Metallica: Stone Cold Crazy.
    Faith No More: Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Priests cover of "Paint it Black".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKFtEsauYNc

That's not a Priest song, it's Glenn Tipton and it's off his Baptism of Fire album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cf8SZ5I-W4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    That's not a Priest song, it's Glenn Tipton and it's off his Baptism of Fire album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cf8SZ5I-W4
    Im not far off, He plays for Priest. Priest gets all the credit for this track throughout the net.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SIDESHOW BOBs

cardigans two sabbath covers are cool, sabbath bloody sabbath and iron man:eek:

Advertisement