Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When Rock/Metal covers beat the original

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I actually prefer QOTSA's version of The Kinks' ''Who'll Be The Next In Line?'' (Its on their b-sides cd)
    But thats just me I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

malice_ wrote: »
    I forgot about this one and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it: Sepultura's cover of Bullet The Blue Sky by U2. I'm not sure if it beats the original but it's still well worth a look.

You know when that clip started I thought "uh oh. Bad idea" but it actually works pretty well. What it does show though, despite all the bashing Bono gets for being a tosser, is the impassioned power of the original's vocal delivery. The lines
    "And he's peeling off those dollar bills...
    Slapping them down....
    One Hundred...
    Two Hundred...."
    Are pretty much unbeatable in the original. Sepultura did a good job with it though, didn't take it too far from the original and yet left a good mark on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    That's not a Priest song, it's Glenn Tipton and it's off his Baptism of Fire album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cf8SZ5I-W4

Jesus that's awful. Huge metal intro destroys the power and beauty of the original, which is just heartbeat-perfect, and then there's this horrible reedy adenoidal vocal after it. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Jesus that's awful. Huge metal intro destroys the power and beauty of the original, which is just heartbeat-perfect, and then there's this horrible reedy adenoidal vocal after it. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Couldn't agree more. What's worse is that that's the best song on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmojo

Van Halens version of you really got me by the Kinks is awesome!!!!

Also The Answer do a version of Sweet Emotion. I think its better than the original. Anybody heard it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

It might not beat the original but it sure as hell rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Beat the original:

Turn the Page by Metallica
    Astronomy by Metallica
    Dancing in the Street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger
    Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not quite beat the original:

Redemption Song by Pearl Jam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Beat the original:

Turn the Page by Metallica i agree
    Dancing in the Street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger i agree
    Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers this one im not sure about, i think stevies version just beats it
    mrmojo wrote: »
    Also The Answer do a version of Sweet Emotion. I think its better than the original. Anybody heard it???

the answer covered aerosmith? thats blasphemy, even tho i rele like the answer, aerosmiths version cannot be beaten!

anyone ever heard aerosmiths version of "the spiderman theme" now theres a rtock song that beat the original :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I'd love to hear Rush doing a cover of Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

Def Leppard's cover of 10538 Overture originally performed by Electric Light Orchestra is pretty good, and Guns N Roses version of Live and Let Die was always the better version in my mind. I know Paul McCartney is a Beatle but I taught that song was made for Guns N Roses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Van Halens version of you really got me by the Kinks is awesome!!!!

i agree about Van Halen, but i cannot stand the Answer at all :(

anybody heard electric 6's version of queens radio gaga, now i dont think its better than the original (but it deserves a mention) but it is a very good version, i think their arrangement of it suits your mans voice really well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmojo

the answer covered aerosmith? thats blasphemy, even tho i rele like the answer, aerosmiths version cannot be beaten!

anyone ever heard aerosmiths version of "the spiderman theme" now theres a rtock song that beat the original :D

You should try to get a listen to it. Absolute quality.

You should try to get a listen to it. Absolute quality.

if anyone else is interested in it:

mrmojo i will give it to you that it is a very very good cover, its not better than the original but is a great version!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

SDooM wrote: »
    I know its not metal but Johnny Cash' version of hurt by NiN is awesome too.

brilliant! it was totally fitting to his life and, it was also a good cover of the song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

In honour of the late, great Jeff Healey, I'd like to nominate his cover of The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. What's worse is that that's the best song on the album.

No way :p

I hate the original though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but Dinosaur Jr's version of Just Like Heaven by the Cure is simply amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but Dinosaur Jr's version of Just Like Heaven by the Cure is simply amazing.

Yep :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Oops I missed it the first time! Thats a cool cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Priests cover of "Paint it Black".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKFtEsauYNc

Actually, I think the black dahlia murder's cover of this song is rockin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehzst4Y54OM

Ruaidhri wrote: »
    Actually, I think the black dahlia murder's cover of this song is rockin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehzst4Y54OM

are you serious? imo that cover is sacrilige (sp?) keith richards is probably spinning in his grave! (we all know he died a long time ago, but he is just that much of a professional that wont stop him!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

gucci wrote: »
    Oops I missed it the first time! Thats a cool cover.

The live one is pretty cool but check out the studio version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73drAdc57SM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No way :p

I hate the original though.

Seriously, you liked that album? :eek:

On topic, Warrel Dane does one of the best covers I've heard in a long time on his new album. He covers The Sisters of Mercy song - Lucretia, My Reflection. Simply amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bunnywabbit*

Ok, I may be slaughtered for this but here it goes...

When Children of Bodom covered Trooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Blackthorn1011

I don't like it at all man, it sounds far too rushed. Even by Bodom standards.

Van Halen's version of Oh! Pretty Woman.

Gotta love it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its good, but definately not better than the original. Bodom's cover of Oops I Did It Again and Bed of Nails are better than the originals though, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I agree with that, not a fan of the original too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

I like the solo's in Mastodons version of Emerald better than Thin Lizzy's.
    And their version of The Bit aswell, what a class band.

QOTSA's version of Most Exalted Potentate Of Love is much better than The Cramps.

And Metallica's recent acoustic covers of Only Happy When it Rains, and Brothers in Arms belong in this thread aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

QOTSA's version of Most Exalted Potentate Of Love is much better than The Cramps..
    Wouldnt agree with that... QOTSAs version is good but they just made it heavier, with less swagger
    I heart The Cramps
    I do prefer QOTSAs Subhumans cover though

Advertisement