Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrible names

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

snyper wrote: »
    I never liked Lucy, sorry if i hurt your feelings, im sure your a lovely person and all... but lucy aint a name i like...

Lucy is my dog's name

it's short for Lucifer
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dudess wrote: »
    Guys, some of you need to differentiate between an opinion and an insult. If a person dislikes a name and it's your name, well it's their opinion, not a dig at you. Why take it personally?
    pfft.

My post was clearly a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wasn't directing that at you, Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dudess wrote: »
    Wasn't directing that at you, Des.
    That's Desmond to you :D

Yeah I know Dudess, thanks.

Thank you for logging in, BossArky.

• Advertisement

• Marloes is a common Dutch name for girls.

The names I most dislike are ones which just sound horrible to the ear. That includes Grainne (just reminds me of groin), Gretchen (wretching), Gertrude. I also think Ursula is a horrendous name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Enda?! People dont like Enda?!?! :eek: :eek:

AKA the best name ever hahahaha

Was amused to see Assumpta mentioned so many times, I know one that goes by the name of Sumpt usually and shes lovely.

Fiachra!! Rubs me the wrong way, as does Oisin and Derek. Oh and Lorcan :eek:

Heber and Amergain are two people I know as well, painful names by cruel parents just itching for the kids to get bullied hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Clodagh, Carmel and Edel - they always sounded to me like the parents couldn't think of a better name and just went for the boring option.

And sorry Endasaurus, but the only time I've ever seen the name Enda is when some guy is on RTÉ News moaning about how the Wesht is dying and everyone's emigrating... ochón ochón... and how we can't bury our dead because of a gas pipeline... ochón ochón. Here's a challenge: give me an example of someone called Enda who isn't - or who hasn't at least one parent from - west of the Shannon!

Patsy - for a man or a woman - sounds like a showband manager.

I knew a girl in Spain once called Eulalia Isabel, but she turned the horror into something quite nice by going as Lalibel. OK, I know it sounds like a brand of lip gloss, but I thought it was sweet :o

Lol
    Enda Kenny's from Mayo, my mate's boyfriend Enda is from Roscommon.

But wait! I know an Enda from Cork! Maybe his folks are from the west though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Terry, for a man - shocking

Fiachra - sounds like Irish word for teeth

Oisin - sounds like onion

Lawrence - of arabia ???

Loman - nut case ???

Patrick, Paul, Michael, Thomas & Eric

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

Ingrid is another horrible name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I worked with an American woman a few years back and her name was..................Rusty Root :D

Very unfortunate...but coud have been much worse if it was a mans name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

fricatus wrote: »
    :eek:

Doesn't that mean 'piglet'?

I'm fairly certain it does.

My idiot of a cousin called her poor kid this! Personally I think it's tantamount to child abuse. Just wait till all the kids in her class find out her names mean piglet. Think of all the therapy she's gonna need!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Terry, for a man - shocking

Fiachra - sounds like Irish word for teeth

Oisin - sounds like onion

Lawrence - of arabia ???

Loman - nut case ???

Patrick, Paul, Michael, Thomas & Eric

My Primary School Principal was called Fiachra and it used to confuse the hell out of me. Don't know how anyone can hate those last names you mentioned though.

I f***ing hate the name Imogen. Sounds like some posh Z-Lister.

The worst name has to be Kian with a K. Why would they think any boy wants to be named after someone out of Westlife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Do you not like people west of the Shannon or something? :eek: I fail, I'm from Galway hahahaha

Oh and add Conrad, Jasper, and Marcus to the list :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Bláithnead (its the afternoon show's fault!)

Dwaine

Rotten names!

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Loman
    Do you know someone with that name? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Tristan
    Jim Jim
    Euryn

Anyone know anyone called "Judas"?

Do you know someone whose REAL name is Jim Jim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

tadhgh...pronounced tyge ....it gets my goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hate all those monosyllabic shortened names for boys that are so popular these days - Jack, Sam, Ben, etc. They're crap names, and if you named your son with the longer versions of some of them you're not fit to be a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I never did like Margarite or Facthna (sp?) or Gormfhlaith (Gormla?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Men
    Hubert
    Ronan
    Lorcan
    Julian
    Cecil
    Cedric
    Cyril
    Cornelius
    Pius
    John-Paul (JP, I'd hate to be called JP)
    Jarlath, as someone already mentioned
    Nimrod (What a name to give a kid)
    Shane
    Egbert
    Cameron
    Ichabod

How in the **** is my name thrown in with a load of names used by either the English aristocracy, over religious parents or pretentious types who Gaeligise their surname to something it never was (you know, people who have a name clearly of mainland England origin or Viking origin like, I dunno, Johnson, and Gaeligise it to some made up version like Ui Jonstainor or Mhic Jonstain)

Just out of curiousity like :)

Shane is in the Tracey, Sharon, Darren, Linda, Trevor bracket that is what is wrong with it.

That's more "Shayne".

Yeah, it's rather random all right. Must say I quite like the name Shane. I went out with a Shane actually - he was a hotteh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

FIDELMA

Every time I hear this name I vomit in my mouth... just a little bit.

I know a Bogdan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

florina...name of my school secretary.makes me think of a big bunch of daisies...nd i dont particiularly like daisies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I know a guy named Storm.

His sisters name is Rainbow.

I'm fairly certain their parents were hippies!

I was in a private school for a year with a brother and sister called Jet and Storm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Gretchin FTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Nympha is pretty terrible in my book.

My brother's wife wants to call their newborn son Zane. Thankfully my brother is putting the foot down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

LadyJ wrote: »
    Humphrey
    Agnes
    Gene

Whats wrong with Gene?

Concepta
    Assumpta
    Clement (really hate that name)
    Cedric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Worst names to inflict on a boy...

Adolf,
    Osama
    or Saddam.

And for a girl...

Jordan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Kemos wrote: »
    Phyllis
    Hanora

Hanora is my family name - we shorten it to Nonie which is way nicer!

People who have surnames for first names.
    My great-aunt is called Thompson (thoma for short - and if any of ye are from Cork then ye'll know that Thoma is a type of brown sliced pan!!!)

THe worst name ever is Abina (sounds like vagina) It's my aunts name and i haven't heard the name ouside of the West Cork Gaeltacht! It's the Englis for Gobnait (which is also a family name which i thankfully escaped!!!) All the Gobnaits I know (there are about 8 are all quite nice but it tends to be abbreviated to Gubby - which makes me think of a goldfish for some odd reason!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Has to be 'Bertie'
    Once a year it would be 'happy birthday dear bertie happy bithday to you' - Plonker!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

My music teacher in school was Ms Melody, which is more funny I suppose than horrible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The only names I think are horrible are names of people I really don't like, which I can't repeat here. I was friends with this girl who turned out to be an utter psycho... anyone I meet with her name now I'm immediately distrusful of them and disinclined to like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Fad wrote: »
    theres a guy in the year below me called diamond, i dislike him, there was also a family whoes, names are royce, aston, and there sister (in a seperate school) called mercedes, their parents must be sadists :)

You're in school?

Is it a special school?

Is english your second language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Most Irish names sound like something you're trying to clear out of the back of your throat. Never pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You're in school?

Is it a special school?

Is english your second language?

Goodbye. Your contributions to this forum have earned you a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You see shows on discovery channel where they all have bible-type names or if say a family has a load of kids and all the names start with the same letter or the end is the same eg Jonah,Anna,Jeremiah etc etc I automatically hate all the names eg http://www.duggarfamily.com/
    Also a pet peeve of mine is made-up/spelled weird names like regular names that people spell in Irish to make them unusual or traditional when really the parents are setting their kids up for years of how is that spelledhow do you pronounce that/where did that come from/well if you dont like you can change it etc
    jb91 wrote: »
    I was in a private school for a year with a brother and sister called Jet and Storm :eek:
    lol where you in the school to learn to how to be a member of the X-Men :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Most Irish names sound like something you're trying to clear out of the back of your throat. Never pleasant.

What, Fleming? I thought that was a surname.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

I'm glad that in all the Irish name slagging, my name (Maeve) hasn't been mentioned. I think it's pretty awful, it sounds so... round.

Names I hate:

GIRL
    Doireann (pronounced Dirin - reminds me of intestines for some reason)
    Attracta (Used to work with a women with this name, she was pretty old, I thought she was joking and laughed. Reminds me of a tractor)
    Catriona - not sure why
    Jane
    Karen
    Wilma
    Winifred
    Fionnuala
    Yvonne (My mum's name, it's atrocious)
    Geraldine (My aunt's name on my mum's side, eurgh)
    Rita (My grandmother's name on my mum's side. Clearly she wanted to inflict her pain on her children)
    All those religious names previously mentioned... Concepta etc. Dreadful.
    Verity

I know a Bernie born 1988. She has a twin called Christina, which was also mentioned, but pronounced in the Aguilera sense rather than in the Vagina sense!

I used to hate the name Regina but I'm now a huge fan of Regina Spektor so that's biased me into thinking it's less awful.

BOY:
    I know a man with the name Ronnie Pius Mary - thought it was funny given all three of these names have been mentioned as completely awful.
    Homer
    Cormac
    Gary
    Edward (even though one of my friends is called Ed, I still think this name is horrible)
    Juan - I know it's a Spanish name but it hurts my throat to say it
    Tomás
    Victor
    Tod
    Oisin
    Oscar
    Finbar

My friend's mother is a primary school teacher, and she was telling us about an African boy in her class named Destiny, with sisters called Blessing, Charity, Faith, and... Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Chloe - worst name ever. I know I'm more than likely offending a parent out there, but it is disgusting and as common as muck now.

Ciara - hate it.

I hate all these stupid names for boys like Corey and Jayden... total chav names.

My name hasn't been mentioned yet \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

godfrey
    cecil
    gregory
    clive

demelza
    barbara
    chelsea

ugh!

i have a cousin called kevin, married to kelly, children are kelsie, kira and kayleigh. it's a bit obsessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Stacey
    Phoebe
    Sophie

names that sound like nicknames
    Kelly, Mitsy, Bitsy, Jodie etc.

my name was just mentioned.... damn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I went to school with a guy who had the middle name Pius.

That's my friends brothers first name, it was the name of a past pope aparently.. My bfs middle name is Maol Iosa

*snigger*.... Thank God he's not computer literate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

HERMOINE....worst name ever! How do you even pronounce it?

My middle name has been mentioned but my first name hasn't, which is a bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

goslie wrote: »
    HERMOINE....worst name ever! How do you even pronounce it?QUOTE]

Her My Oh Knee - I thnks!

Generally, names I don't like tend to be names of people I don't like but all these new fangled names like Apple, Blossom and Atlas!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Aoife
    Jacinta
    Sean
    Eoghan
    Aine
    Tristan
    St John (pronouced synjin)
    Averil
    Jordan or Geordan
    Gordon

• Advertisement