Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bleeding rads?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

hi, half my bedroom rad is cold.... does this mean i need to bleed it?

if so, how do i go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

alienhead wrote: »
    hi, half my bedroom rad is cold.... does this mean i need to bleed it?

if so, how do i go about this?
    There should be a little hexagonal/four-sided screw head on the top either at the side or at the back. Loosed it and allow the air out gently - have a rag handy and be prepared to tighten it quickly or you will have dirty black smelly water on the wall and floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If it is the top of the rad that's cold, then there's air in it and you need a key to bleed it. If air comes out, but no water, then you need to let water into the system - maybe a valve in the hotpress or from a tank in the attic.
    If one side is heating more than the other, then the flow through the rad is restricted for some reason. Make sure the valves at both ends are open.
    That's a start anyway.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

be wild careful opening and tigtneing that bolt, specially if its an old rad, if u manage to wring it or shear it off you are in for a world of trouble. I only say this since Ive had the misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

magooly wrote: »
    be wild careful opening and tigtneing that bolt, specially if its an old rad, if u manage to wring it or shear it off you are in for a world of trouble. I only say this since Ive had the misfortune.

This usually happens to veha rads where the vent is at the back of the rad. Sometimes people put the vent key on the vent and then, thinking backwards, try to turn it the wrong way, snapping it off.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

I have a similar problem but in my case the last rad upstairs does not get hot at all!

The second last one heats fine but the last one does not! I have bled it but still no heat.

Any Ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theplumber

Sorry up to my eyes at moment editing plumbersdiary
    just put balancing radiators into google and study some great postings on this subject by some very clever ,methodical DIY enthusiasts. and you will soon become an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Thanks very much for that....

Advertisement