Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress: Help Needed!

Options
  • 11-01-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I need people's help if you can.

My society at college are hosting an event in March and due to the sheer volume of requests that we're getting the website has to - HAS TO - be up by tomorrow morning.

I want to do a Wordpress style blog. I went to Digiweb and bought the domain name I wanted, and bought a hosting solution. Wordpress have this thing where they'll install the blog for you on your server if you give them the details, so I did that but the hosting option I got didn't have the mySQL options needed for Wordpress. So I changed to hosting365 this evening. So now I have a host, a domain name, and I know the Wordpress theme I want (from a third party website).

I need to set up the blog software on the server, and link it to the domain name. Thing is, I have all the content written, but don't have a ****ing clue how to go about this!

This is for a college society which raised heaps of money for charity last year so I'd really appreciate all the help you can give me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm lost. Are you looking to confirm if H365 have the details you need? If so, contact their technical support desk.

If you're looking to install Wordpress, read this.
    If you're looking to install the theme, this is probably what you're looking for.

If not, please clarify what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

as aidan said .. you've said a good bit .. but not much about whats wrong / what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Ok I wasn't clear.

I have the domain bought (off Digiweb - and can't get through to support) and can log into the H-Sphere management thing.

I have the server hosting option thing bought (off register365.com) and have passed their details onto the Wordpress installation team so they can install the wordpress software on the server.

The wordpress guy got back to me and said I need to change my domain's nameservers (there are three he said) to point to a few IP addresses. In the H-Sphere control panel I can see the nameservers (there are two) but can't figure out how to change them to point to the IP addresses wordpress guy said.

I'm only doing all this because I want to use a Wordpress Theme on the domain name I bought...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Screw the hosting thing, I've decided to host my blog at the wordpress site, but need to redirect visitors to my domain to the new site. Can anyone tell me how do I do this?

go to .. http://wordpress.com/ ... sign up ... get yourself a username ? and there you go start using it ?

the DNS question .. I'm not sure about ... it should be a simple enough case of pointing it at hosting365 dns servers ... not sure why you can't ... you may have to issue a support ticket with digiweb. ..

Haven't tried that so far with them ...

Once you've the website pointed at hosting365 you'll need to inform hosting365 they need to update their system (unfortunately there isn't an automagic way just yet to do this)

Away you go ... it should really be a 1 click install .. I think ,.. I know it is with blacknight at any rate

haven't tried to install to much on the digiweb hosting yet

Any reason why you've not gone with digiweb for everything ... once you start ****ing about with different this and different that for everything things get a hell of a lot more complicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We're using a Wordpress install on www.logon.ie on Digiweb hosting. No problems with MySQL, everything necessary is available.

In terms of speed, going with a Wordpress hosted blog is quickest, but a self-hosted solution is far nicer for customisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Paddy - click the livechat links on www.register365.com to talk directly to our 24/7 team... you can install Wordpress with our 'EasyApp' install wizard...

Paddy - click the livechat links on www.register365.com to talk directly to our 24/7 team... you can install Wordpress with our 'EasyApp' install wizard...

I assumed as much with any of the big hosts but I couldn't remember for ye ( lazy again and didn't bother loggin in to check sorry steve :D )

I never actually use the 1 click installs though as I've always installed locally and done mods locally so I've to upload that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

In fairness the Wordpress installation help is very easy to follow.

The main thing you ned to make sure is that you have sql on the hosting 365 option you chose.... I'm assuming you got a unix server and not a windows one?

The guys at hosting 365 are generally very good for sortiing you out.

The main thing you ned to make sure is that you have sql on the hosting 365 option you chose.... I'm assuming you got a unix server and not a windows one?

Both have mysql to the best of my knowledge ... so it doesn't matter which one ...

I've installed wordpress on both windows / unix and its mostly the same ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Yep, all plans include MySQL (all plans and all platforms, no limit on databases)

Advertisement