Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI or Component

• 11-01-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

This question may have been asked before but is there much of a difference in picture quality between HDMI and component? Ive just after getting a 42'' TV and I must say it looks fantastic compared to the 19'' monitor I had it on before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

none, technically hdmi could be better as its all digital but in practical terms you wont be able to tell the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Good component cables should give you the same picture quality , thats true , but how do you know they are good ! Analog cables can be notoriously bad.

HDMI has no such quibbles , any HDMI cable will behave exactly the same , also HDMI carries sound as well , so it cuts down on cables going into the back of the TV , and because its digital , on short runs it is practically immune from interference.

If you have a choice HDMI should always come out on top. And these can be got for considerably less money than a quality component cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

if you're in no hurry get the cable from dealextreme.com they're really cheap but it will take a 1-2 weeks to get to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I'm using the component cable that came with the 360, it seems good enough quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I have used the vga, component and hdmi cables with my 360

Games:
    No difference between component and hdmi
    Colours are a bit washed out over VGA

DVDs
    Seem to look better over HDMI then component, at least on my samsung.
    Could be imagining it. Got Rome box set at christmas and it looks really good with the HDMI cable

You do lose the optical port is one snag if you switch to hdmi (unless ms have a cable with optical port - i dont know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

You do lose the optical port is one snag if you switch to hdmi (unless ms have a cable with optical port - i dont know)

Why ? Surely the HDMI on the 360 carries sound as well ? It should do , meaning there should be no reason to use the optical port as well.

mathias wrote: »
    Why ? Surely the HDMI on the 360 carries sound as well ? It should do , meaning there should be no reason to use the optical port as well.

But how do you get sound to a surrond sound amp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eoin2nc wrote: »
    But how do you get sound to a surrond sound amp?

You can just leave the little break out box plugged in , use th eoptical from that and have the HDMI straight to the tv, thats what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

is the hdmi cable the one with a switch for tv or hdtv? and also has six pins, red, yellow, white, blue, red and some other one? thats the cable I have and the picture on my 37" LCD is fan-fcuking-tastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

forbesii wrote: »
    is the hdmi cable the one with a switch for tv or hdtv? and also has six pins, red, yellow, white, blue, red and some other one? thats the cable I have and the picture on my 37" LCD is fan-fcuking-tastic.

Nope, thats the component cable. As a previous poster said, HDMI goes direct from the 360 to your TV in a single cable, sound is carried separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's very little difference between HDMI & Component for me, although the black levels look slightly better over HDMI.

Personally, I've only got one HDMI connection on my LG 26", which will be used for my Digital TV box for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

forbesii wrote: »
    is the hdmi cable the one with a switch for tv or hdtv? .

The HDMI cable is the one with trapazoid(ish) shaped connectors at each end, and it only comes standard with the Elite so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

First, you won't get upscaled DVD playback over component - just VGA and HDMI.

Second, there's some kind of connector that comes with the Elite that gives you an optical out to send the audio to your A/V receiver, but I don't think that comes with the Pro consoles that have HDMI ports.

It seems to come down to HDMI being best, but it's not hugely different to component or VGA.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Simply put..

VGA and HDMI outputs games at 1080p.
    VGA upscales DVD's to 1080i, HDMI upscales DVD's to 1080p (no obvious difference to be honest!)

Now for the area i'm less knowledgeable on: (as far as I know) component is 720p for games, and 480p for DVD's (DVD's look crap on big TV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ceejay wrote: »
    Second, there's some kind of connector that comes with the Elite that gives you an optical out to send the audio to your A/V receiver, but I don't think that comes with the Pro consoles that have HDMI ports.

Anyone know anything about this type of connector? It certainly doesn't come with the Elite... I was pretty annoyed that I couldn't use my surround sound and HDMI connection at the same time... seemed like a pretty damn basic requirement. I've gone back to using VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

To use HDMI and optical out at the same time without paying out another E50 (shame on you MS) just use this little hack. Works perfect for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Anyone know anything about this type of connector? It certainly doesn't come with the Elite...

I think he's refering to the Audio Break Out Dongle, if that IS what he's refering to then you *should* have gotten one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

xanthor wrote: »
    I think he's refering to the Audio Break Out Dongle, if that IS what he's refering to then you *should* have gotten one.

Really? I'm pretty sure there was nothing else in the box.. I must check again then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

basquille wrote: »
    Simply put..

VGA and HDMI outputs games at 1080p.
    VGA upscales DVD's to 1080i, HDMI upscales DVD's to 1080p (no obvious difference to be honest!)

Now for the area i'm less knowledgeable on: (as far as I know) component is 720p for games, and 480p for DVD's (DVD's look crap on big TV).

Whoa whoa whoa this is wrong i think! :confused:

From engadget : http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

VGA:

* HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
    * DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
    * Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

* HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
    * DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
    * Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Read this for a more in-depth comparison - http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-elite/fully-tested-the-xbox-360-elites-hdmi-video-is-the-best-255722.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From my experience, VGA and component are pretty much exactly the same for games - no real discernable difference, both provide 1080p output.

DVDs is where the difference lies. Over component, DVDs looked quite poor, although it did upscale to 576p. Over VGA, you get 1080i, which looks fantastic.

Unforunately, can't test the HDMI cable as have an older model Premium.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa this is wrong i think! :confused:
    Eh? I was pretty much right except for failing to mention that Component (the area I said i was less knowledable in) upscales games to 1080p.That page backs up everything else I mentioned.

Though that Engadget article is a bit out-dated and I know the one thing I have read since (will try and dig out the page mentioning this) is that VGA only upscales standard DVD's to 1080i, whereas HDMI upscales standard DVD's to 1080p. VGA will NOT upscale DVD's to 1080p.

Even johnny_ultimate above me made note of this:
    Over VGA, you get 1080i, which looks fantastic.

So VGA would be superior to component, I have 1080p TV and the HD-DVD player, until I get an elite with HDMI?

So VGA would be superior to component, I have 1080p TV and the HD-DVD player, until I get an elite with HDMI?
    Yep.. for upscaling DVD's anyways.

By the way.. for anyone who thinks the HD-DVD automatically upscales DVD's - it doesn't unless you have the VGA or HDMI cables.

basquille wrote: »
    Yep.. for upscaling DVD's anyways.

By the way.. for anyone who thinks the HD-DVD automatically upscales DVD's - it doesn't unless you have the VGA or HDMI cables.

Does a DVD have to be in the HD-DVD drive to upscale?

Does a DVD have to be in the HD-DVD drive to upscale?
    Nope, the XBOX's normal DVD drive will upscale to the same effect as the HD-DVD drive

Just after testing it there and HD movies look better through component, 1080p or not. Ill stick to that over VGA until I get my elite

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

I have a 32" 720p lcd and have to say the quality between vga and component is big on my tv. VGA is clearer and smoother with better colours at 720p. This is even noticable on the xbox dashboard! I bought the VGA cable for this reason, I thought it was commonly known that VGA is slightly superior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My TV came with a crap component slot. Difference is noticable between component and VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Are the elites\new premium 360s any quieter than the pre-hdmi premium consoles? There is no way i'd watch a dvd on my 360 because of the noise, even with a 5.1 surround sound system! Using dvd connected via RGB scart instead though i'd imagine component would give a getter picture than scart.

HDMI > VGA > Component > RGB Scart > Composite Scart\Compisite Video.
    yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There's alot of different views here (as usual!:D)

My basic question is:

Fact 1
    I am about to get LCD TV, probably Bravia.

Fact 2
    I have a launch Premium (so i assume cant use HDMI cable?).

Question
    What is best way to connect 360 to TV?

Advertisement