Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI or Component

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a 32" 720p lcd and have to say the quality between vga and component is big on my tv. VGA is clearer and smoother with better colours at 720p. This is even noticable on the xbox dashboard! I bought the VGA cable for this reason, I thought it was commonly known that VGA is slightly superior?

Heh yeah the Dashboard does look better on VGA to my eyes. Hated going back to SD as the whole start up screen always looked horribly dreary after HD. More noticable difference than with games I found!
    Riskymove wrote: »
    There's alot of different views here (as usual!:D)

My basic question is:

Fact 1
    I am about to get LCD TV, probably Bravia.

Fact 2
    I have a launch Premium (so i assume cant use HDMI cable?).

Question
    What is best way to connect 360 to TV?

VGA will be your best bet. Just make sure the TV has a VGA / RGB connection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

VGA will be your best bet. Just make sure the TV has a VGA / RGB connection!

My issue here is that I also intend hooking up my PC to the TV so that would use the VGA connection. I dont think many TVs would have two VGA slots. Can PC be connected to a TV some other way?

It seems a complete waste to just have the Xbox on a scart to a HD TV though:mad:! I am gonna have to think about this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I have a 32" 720p lcd and have to say the quality between vga and component is big on my tv. VGA is clearer and smoother with better colours at 720p. This is even noticable on the xbox dashboard! I bought the VGA cable for this reason, I thought it was commonly known that VGA is slightly superior?

Glad someone else mentioned this. Perhaps it is just my tv, but I use VGA and the improvement over Component is enormous at 720p! Not to mention DVDs. Vastly sharper image but ever so slightly poorer in terms of colour depth!

Comparing Component and HDMI should be like comparing RF and RGB Scart!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My issue here is that I also intend hooking up my PC to the TV so that would use the VGA connection. I dont think many TVs would have two VGA slots. Can PC be connected to a TV some other way?

It seems a complete waste to just have the Xbox on a scart to a HD TV though:mad:! I am gonna have to think about this!!

Yeah seems unlikely it would have two VGA slots.
    Don't settle for SCART though. Use component if you can - it is fine for games, just not so good for DVDs. If you have a PC it might upscale your DVDs anyway? I have no idea if that will be the case or not though.

Yeah seems unlikely it would have two VGA slots.
    Don't settle for SCART though. Use component if you can - it is fine for games, just not so good for DVDs. If you have a PC it might upscale your DVDs anyway? I have no idea if that will be the case or not though.

I have a PS3 which I can connect using HDMI which I plan to use for Blu-Ray and DVD, thought the PC is also an option there.

Is it worth it solely for HD to trade in for elite?

Is it straightforward to connect elite to hdmi slot?

• Advertisement

I have a PS3 which I can connect using HDMI which I plan to use for Blu-Ray and DVD, thought the PC is also an option there.

Is it worth it solely for HD to trade in for elite?

Is it straightforward to connect elite to hdmi slot?

Oh well if you have a PS3 then you Xbox is hardly going to be used as a DVD player (upscaling far better on PS3 I understand) then you should be fine on component. It won't be quite as good as VGA or HDMI, but the difference won't really matter if you aren't fussy.

And I wouldn't say the upgrade is worth it anyway. Seems like too much money just for a better connection, unless you want the big HDD too.

Oh well if you have a PS3 then you Xbox is hardly going to be used as a DVD player (upscaling far better on PS3 I understand) then you should be fine on component. It won't be quite as good as VGA or HDMI, but the difference won't really matter if you aren't fussy.

And I wouldn't say the upgrade is worth it anyway. Seems like too much money just for a better connection, unless you want the big HDD too.

Thats very helpful thanks

so PC connected on VGA

Xbox on component

PS on HDMI

sorted......can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've used both and to be honest there isn't much of a difference in the two cables.

I do think the sound is a bit better on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Just on the washed-out colour over VGA, one of the recent dashboard updates included a new option in your display settings that allows you to change the colour settings, and it makes a difference. I can't remember the exact option, but if you go digging in the System blade and the Display settings when the VGA cable is connected you should find it. I think there's three settings, and if I remember correctly "Extended" was the option that looked best for me.

Ciarán.

Advertisement