Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lump in neck?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

My little one has a lump in her neck and she has had it pretty much from day one. We asked the GP about it very early on and she said this was normal babies often get lumps that go away. 2yrs later and the lump is still there?

I'm not looking for medical advice obviously and I will see the doc about it again, but I just wondering if any members on here have had experience of this in their own kids? Kind of a peace of mind type of thing if you like. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Hi, Deliverance. I'm wondering whereabouts on your daughter's neck this lump is?
    I've two experiences. I noticed my daughter had a prominent lump on the right side at the back of her neck when she was 4 months old. I brought her to the doctor and he said it was only a gland, nothing to worry about. I read later on the internet such a lump is very common in babies as this is the gland which "fights" cradle cap (wish i could find link - odd, I feel, as I never knew cradle cap was an infection!). She's now 5 and this lump is virtually non-existent now, though it was prominent for a very long time.
    And my son has multiple lumps on his neck. He had an ultrasound and blood test done, and everything was normal. He actually developed them following a Strep throat infection in 2005, and he's a thin athletic lad (unlike his momma!) so they're more prominent on his neck than they would be on a bigger child.
    Oh, kids always give us something to worry about, don't they!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

kelle wrote: »
    Hi, Deliverance. I'm wondering whereabouts on your daughter's neck this lump is?
    I've two experiences. I noticed my daughter had a prominent lump on the right side at the back of her neck when she was 4 months old. I brought her to the doctor and he said it was only a gland, nothing to worry about. I read later on the internet such a lump is very common in babies as this is the gland which "fights" cradle cap (wish i could find link - odd, I feel, as I never knew cradle cap was an infection!). She's now 5 and this lump is virtually non-existent now, though it was prominent for a very long time.
    And my son has multiple lumps on his neck. He had an ultrasound and blood test done, and everything was normal. He actually developed them following a Strep throat infection in 2005, and he's a thin athletic lad (unlike his momma!) so they're more prominent on his neck than they would be on a bigger child.
    Oh, kids always give us something to worry about, don't they!
    The lump in on the left of her neck about half way up and it feels nobbly and iregular, maybe it is glandular like you said, that's interesting I wish the doc had explained that a bit more at the time.

She has an appointment for something else in a few weeks and I will highlight it to the docs, but it is comforting to know that it is fairly common. All the same tis not something to be dismissed as any parent knows.
    Thanks kelle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

The lump in on the left of her neck about half way up and it feels nobbly and iregular, maybe it is glandular like you said, that's interesting I wish the doc had explained that a bit more at the time.
    That describes the lumps on my son's neck to a tee, though he has 7 of them. My GP was more than confident it was just swollen glands, but he sent him for those tests because I have a bad family history (lost my mother and father to cancer 3 years ago, within a month of each other - so you can understand my paranoia!).
    Still, it would put your mind at ease if you mention it to your GP on your next visit. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have lump on the right side of my neck since I was a baby and I'm 16. It's doing no bother...

EDIT

I forgot to mention that I also have a lump on the right side of my lower back.

kelle wrote: »
    That describes the lumps on my son's neck to a tee, though he has 7 of them. My GP was more than confident it was just swollen glands, but he sent him for those tests because I have a bad family history (lost my mother and father to cancer 3 years ago, within a month of each other - so you can understand my paranoia!).
    Still, it would put your mind at ease if you mention it to your GP on your next visit. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. Real sorry to hear about your parents, that is very hard. My mother survived the big C and my daughters mothers sister lost her fight at a young age (34). So I guess it may be a genetic thing. I will get my little one to get used to the idea of going for check ups early on for her own sake.

Most of us these days don't do it out of fear, tis a good habit really to get into having a check up as a matter of course as early detection is the only prevention. Again I'm sorry about your folks that must have been really hard and thanks so much for your reply.

• Advertisement

creggy wrote: »
    I have lump on the right side of my neck since I was a baby and I'm 16. It's doing no bother...

EDIT

I forgot to mention that I also have a lump on the right side of my lower back.
    Twould be no harm to get that checked out on a regular basis. Probably harmless but one should leave nothing to chance really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

She has an appointment for something else in a few weeks and I will highlight it to the docs, but it is comforting to know that it is fairly common. All the same tis not something to be dismissed as any parent knows.
    Thanks kelle.

Sounds Like a Lymph node to me. when I was 6 years old I got Glandular fever and the first symtpom to materialise was swollen lymph nodes. It is just a sign that the immune system is active fighting infection as my GP at the time explained to me. They don't have any negative impact by themselves, though they it may cause slight discomfort from time to time. As long as the kid is healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry bout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

One of mine is as skinny as a rake no matter how much he eats and the lympnodes along one side can be clearly seen.

They swell up and become more firm when his immune system is figthing something.

It's something I keep an eye on as once one of them did get very large and it ment a trip to the hospital.

Sounds Like a Lymph node to me. when I was 6 years old I got Glandular fever and the first symtpom to materialise was swollen lymph nodes. It is just a sign that the immune system is active fighting infection as my GP at the time explained to me. They don't have any negative impact by themselves, though they it may cause slight discomfort from time to time. As long as the kid is healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry bout it.
    Thanks for that, she is healthy and from what I have heard so far, it is ok. Thanks for your replys it is a great peace of mind. She will be going for a check for other stuff soon enough anyway, but you guys have given me great feedback through real experience and I appreciate that, thanks.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    One of mine is as skinny as a rake no matter how much he eats and the lympnodes along one side can be clearly seen.

They swell up and become more firm when his immune system is figthing something.

It's something I keep an eye on as once one of them did get very large and it ment a trip to the hospital.
    Thanks again, great feedback. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement