Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude to guns

Options
  • 11-01-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

it justy struck me yesterday how different peoples attitudes are to guns in Europe, when you can have skiing bi-athalon.
    Mass starts with everyone having a gun and a few magazines on their backs,exhuasted people shooting from standing and prone.
    Huge crowds watching and big cheers for every target knocked.
    amazing isn't it
    Bryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have the feeling it's more a town versus country thing in general. I grew up in a rural town about 15 miles from Brussels and the attitude in Ireland seems to be very much the same as it was in Belgium. For the average town and city dweller a gun is something that causes panic and an emergency call and for the average country folks a gun is as normal as lighting the fire on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Guns are designed to kill, end of story really..

Wouldn't the world be a much happier place with them?.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Feelgood wrote: »

Not the one I shoot with. It's designed for making holes in paper and would probably be a right pain in the arse to hunt with. If you wanted to kill someone with it, you'd have a much easier time using an axe or a sodding great big knife.

Some animals need killing and guns happen to be a useful way of doing it.
    Wouldn't the world be a much happier place with them?

The world would probably be better off without the guns that are designed to kill people, but it's pretty hard to completely separate them from the ones that are useful for killing animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I doubt that many here would disagree...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I think its alot to do with how common guns are in public view. In switzerland people go shopping with a semi auto slung over the sholder. Noone passes a blind bit of difference as its an every day thing. On the way home from the range they just pop into the shop and thats that. In the UK every town had a range at on time. Marksmanship was seen as a title worth holding, as towns held compitetions against each other.

A relation of mine was home from the UK awhile back and was walking down the town with me awhile back. I realised that he wasnt beside me anymore so turned around to see him frozen 10Ft behind me. I asked him whats wrong? He said can you not see there are army lads outside the bank with guns??? It only then dawned on me that this would not be a common sight in the UK, where as here I would have just walked past them, without blinking. He later said he taught there was a robbery going on or hostage stand off :D

My point is that if you dont see a firearm outside TV and the way they are used on TV how can a city slicker know anything else about them. I have even noticed around my own home town lately, that I get looks while going out with my gun as there are alot of new people moving into it. Most from the Dublin area as house prices forced the move.

I used to be asked by locals for a rabbit on my way back from hunting, but now im met with a look of shock from a stranger, seeing a man with a gun.

Sign of the times I guess:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Rovi wrote: »
    I doubt that many here would disagree...

:D

I lolled. :D

Anyway, spears kill too and you wouldn't ban javelins would you? @feelgood

Just wait a couple of years and the rifle will be just like the spear. Superceded by something more "efficient".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have the feeling it's more a town versus country thing in general.

Very much so. At its root is the fear of the unfamiliar.
    City Dwellers have no practical use for the things (what are they going to shoot, rats in the garage?) and no recreational use either. (Not much room for ranges in the city). Ergo, they have neither desire nor need to become familiar with them. Instead, the only exposure they ever get is negative, usually involving some local criminal activity.

Compare with the outside country where there can be both practical use (eg vermin control) and recreational facility. (I'll just go out back of my field here, and plink some cans). Neither event reaches the news very often, so cannot counter-balance the negative news seen by the city dwellers on their TV screens.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Guns dont kill people.......people kill people.icon6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I hope feelgood doesn't eat his dinner tonight with a knife, the psychotic deranged maniac. Using a killing tool to eat the cooked flesh of a poor little chicken wicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

guns dont kill people...people kill people?

true but its a hell of a lot easier with a gun isnt it. guns are evil full stop.

According to the US Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, and Tobacco (BAFT), around 4.37 million firearms are produced in the US every year. According to "Small Arms Survey 2001", it is estimated that at least 347 million small arms were produced worldwide between 1945 and 2000.

do you think its normal to arm people like this?

• Advertisement

I get the feeling we are been baited here:confused:

I`d also like to say that push peddlers on bikes , should stay on the roads as they are a danger to the public when they mount the path when it suits. Little boy lycra`s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

What are these people doing in this forum anyway? Why aren't they over on the archery forum calling for deadly weapons to be banned?

Shouldn't they be banned for trolling?

I`d also like to say that push peddlers on bikes , should stay on the roads as they are a danger to the public when they mount the path when it suits. Little boy lycra`s

thats some sharp responding and to think you own a gun?depressing

IRLConor wrote: »
    The world would probably be better off without the guns that are designed to kill people, but it's pretty hard to completely separate them from the ones that are useful for killing animals.

Well I don't agree with hunting / killing animals either, they have as much right to be here as you or I..

Guns were first conceived to harm human beings and this trait has continued since their very first creation. Nothing good can come from the use of a gun and I think if we look through the course of history, nothing good has come from a gun?....

Put it this way, if you young son or daughter fatally shot themselves in the head accidentally would you still think a the gun was a great object?. Would you even still hold onto that gun and go shotting with it??

Guns were first conceived to harm human beings and this trait has continued since their very first creation. Nothing good can come from the use of a gun and I think if we look through the course of history, nothing good has come from a gun?....

The bow came before the gun. Now its mainly used for sport (and hunting in some places). The rifle/gun is also used in sports. It will become more and more like the bow in future decades. It's not the tool that's causing the problem but the person using it and particularly the intention of that person.

Feelgood.......Fellow ardee man? If a car killed your nearest and dearest would you continue to drive one? if your old enough to drive that is........get a grip lad:D you show your IQ and understanding by just being here posting foolish words. Take your ball home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

I think it's stupid to allow ourselves to baited by these idiots. I don't have to justify my sport or my interests to anyone, they're mine, just like everyone else's.

Get a grip ffs :mad:

Your right, I'm slightly out of my league in a bloody shooting forum and can honestly say that I don't understand the sports side of shooting at all.

However a general question was posted what my attitude to guns would be and I have given my views. To me guns are used for two things:

a) Killing people or innocent animals
    b) To make guys with small penises feel better about themselves and to make them feel like they have a pair of balls.

Your right, I'm slightly out of my league in a bloody shooting forum and can honestly say that I don't understand the sports side of shooting at all.

However a general question was posted what my attitude to guns would be and I have given my views. To me guns are used for two things:

b) To make guys with small penises feel better about themselves and to make them feel like they have a pair of balls.

Ok, i replied to your questions (or some of them) in a civil manner. Your last post will be reported as it is a personal insult. Pity though.

Well, then, if we are so repulsive to you, why talk to us? That said, why am I talking to you? To be honest that's beneath me, as you clearly have no intelligent basis for your arguments.

MODS - IS TROLLING/BAITING NOT AGAINST THE CHARTER RULES?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Naive tbh :rolleyes:

If it were not for some people dedicated to the sport alot of farmers wouldnt be very happy foxes and pigeons and crows would be an epidemic they've nothing to cull them they'll just multiply place would be over run likewise with dear they've no natural predators over here and over poulate alot of the country causing dangers on the roads.

Im not going to disagree entirely there are plenty of firearms out there used in the wrong way purposefully for killing people but why penalised people who hunt and shoot legally we go to the bother to abide by the law and partake in the sport safefully and go under record. Its not us thats the problem its the criminals out there.

Im sure you'd feel different if your son or daughter had a car crach and was fatally killed from hitting a deer or fox or your business/livelyhood/premises was being damaged due to over populated animals

Well, then, if we are so repulsive to you, why talk to us? That said, why am I talking to you? To be honest that's beneath me, as you clearly have no intelligent basis for your arguments.

MODS - IS TROLLING/BAITING NOT AGAINST THE CHARTER RULES?:mad:

I'm not directing my views to anyone in particular at all nor am I trolling, thats my view on guns which was asked initially by the OP.

Last I checked everyone was entitled to an opinion....

I'm not directing my views to anyone in particular at all nor am I trolling, thats my view on guns which was asked initially by the OP.

Last I checked everyone was entitled to an opinion....

Yes, but you're not entitled to personally insult those with different said opinions. Yawn.

Yes, but you're not entitled to personally insult those with different said opinions. Yawn.

Its a personally insult that I find a piece of metal and some wood stupid??

I think it's stupid to allow ourselves to baited by these idiots. I don't have to justify my sport or my interests to anyone, they're mine, just like everyone else's.

Get a grip ffs :mad:

where exactly does sport fit into it. interests that are harmful to others need to be justified.

Yep, I think it would be good for the gun lovers of this forum to explain the sport end of things to us pacifists. Whats the attraction with it??.

avalanche wrote: »
    where exactly does sport fit into it. interests that are harmful to others need to be justified.

There are alot of hobbies within sport and outside that can be potentially harmful. It does not need to be justified but regulated which it is. The regulations are there to protect the audience (public) and , of course, the sportsman/woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

:eek: How is that an insult ?
    Nothing wrong with a small appendage, !!

To be honest if you have lady in the bed I think she'd be less than pleased if you pulled out a gun. Cause after that most of the lads here would proceed to ignore said lady :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Guns don't kill people, people kill people

And no
    We'd just find a diffrent way to cause harm... sticks? Stones? Bigger sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

avalanche wrote: »

So how exactly does competitive target shooting, clay pigeon shooting and other Olympic games sports like these actually harm anybody.
    Nobody has ever being killed in the sport of target shooting in this country. You are more likely to be killed in a boxing match or playing GAA Football.

Before you form an opinion on our sport, at least learn something about it. Some of us here dont like soccer or GAA, but we would certainly not rubbish it as a matter of course.
    I am not a hunter, so I will not comment on that. Needless to say, what is the difference between going out and shooting a couple of pheasants, bringing them home. Preparing them and either cooking or freezing them.... or the poor ould commercially farmed chickens being kept in boxes all their short lives, being fed synthetic so called food riddled with antibiotocs, never seeing the light of day or getting any exercise, then being slaughtered for the shelves in the Supermarket.? One is animal cruelty.

The end result is the same. Dead bird which you eat. But the second case is far more cruel, do you not think?

As for firearms themselves. Harmless until you add the human with bad intentions. Sportsmen and women like us using guns have nothing in common with Criminals using guns .
    Cars kill more people than any other man made object in the world. Should we class them as deadly weapons and ban them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement