Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help

• 11-01-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

I am going to ask my girlfriend the big Question soon, thing is i want to keep it a secret, so i don't want to ask her to come in and choose the ring but i also don't want to buy a ring and her not liking it!!!

My question is Could you ask your girlfriend the big question without the ring and both of you could go pick one out after. or can the Jewellers give you like a Dummy ring or something to use for the Day!! hope these aren't stupid questions but just want to keep it a suprise

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Course you can, that ring is a big thing. Shes only gonna have one and its gonna be kept for a long long time...possibly will be past down through generations so you might as well get it right....

Pop the Q and then go look for rings.....or pop the Q in New York where you can get the ring cheaper ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Of course you can pop the question without the ring. Shell probably appreciate being able to choose the one she likes. (And most couples choose the ring together in my experience).

And you could also do something silly and romantic like share a pack of rolos and when theyre gone, screw up the foil into a ring and get down on one knee. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

ooooh Best of Luck.

My friends have recently got engaged & they did it without rings.
    The guy popped the question with an empty ring box & a note saying " IOU 1 ring"

Brilliant, she said yes when he told her he was taking her, not only to chose the ring, but also to Antwerp (??) to buy the diamond! ;)

my friend was chuffed that he hadnt bought the ring, as she said, shes going to be stuck with it for years, so she better chose one she'll love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I was gonna say get one of those plastic rings in like kids toy shops or a jelly ring, something cute like that... personally i would think that very cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

Of course you can ask her to marry you without a ring but if you really wanted to have one you could get a cheap one (argos, H.Samuel etc) just for the proposal and then the two of you can choose the official ring together. I'm sure the fact that you're asking her to be your wife will be the most important thing to her at that moment..Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hula Hoops! Or onion rings. Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

WindSock wrote: »

+1 take her to the local chipper and get her proper big onion rings! I'd love to be proposed to in a chipper, an engagement and chicken goujons all in one night! Yum!

If you're not a fan of the local chipper, jelly ring or hula hoop would be very cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Of course you can ask her to marry you without a ring but if you really wanted to have one you could get a cheap one (argos, H.Samuel etc) just for the proposal and then the two of you can choose the official ring together. I'm sure the fact that you're asking her to be your wife will be the most important thing to her at that moment..Good Luck

I like the idea of getting a cheapy kinda ring for the proposal just because of the sentimentality that could be attached to it... But failing that a funny hula-hoop/jelly/onion ring would also be ok. If you do go down the cheapy-ring option, make sure she knows it's not the *real* one...that could be disastrous! :D Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

yea I would definitely do something quirky instead of handing her an actual ring. Something that makes you both laugh is the way to go.

As a fully fledged, fully paid up leftie hippy type person, I feel I should say that when you buy the ring, try and make sure you know where the diamonds are from. Lots of people (including kiddies) have been killed of have had limbs chopped off in the production of diamonds in many african diamond mines. Most good diamond dealers can produce a cert, showing that their diamonds are from reputable sources. I would only buy a diamond if I knew where it came from. Ask about their policies on "conflict diamonds". A jeweller will know what you're talking about.

Now that I've done the obligatory hippy-talk, may I wish u and ur (hopefully) missus all the best in the future :D

Let us know how you get on. Good luck, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

diamonds?! lol, if me and the other half ever get engaged... we'll probably just move our claddaghs to the other hand :P

• Advertisement

See, narco, it's all about the bling in Tallaght.....

Your average tallaght bride has a higher carat count than an elizabeth duke catalogue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abababa

Hi

Sounds like a great idea.
    My friend just got engaged in antwerp, reckon they saved 50%
    Worth looking into.

Best of luck

we're dirt poor, is our problem, haha, just lost a good chunk of our weekly income yestserday too :(

how so?

Didn't you say you were going to new zealand to live, though?

I lived there for a while. Took a pretty hefty pay cut to go there, but never had so much money in my life. Cheap place to live, so you can buy all the conflict diamonds you want :D

im in new zealand now! and what i work in, only gets paid min wage in nz. and i dont have a job yet. my b/f's pretty broke too, and he used to do a cleaning job (which i helped out with), which he isn't needed for anymore. as someone who made full use of tesco and lidl value in ireland, i find things to be a little more expensive here, generally. it's like shopping in dunnes all the time. cheap, but not the cheapest. except tesco and lidl haven't made it over here yet.

fair enough. I was lucky to have a well paying job, by NZ standards. But I only paid liek 250 euro a month for rent in a really nice house. Thought the supermarkets were very cheap, and eating out was a regular occurence in my job with the expats because it was such good value compared to home.

But I hope things improve for you.

Apologies to the OP, as the tallaght01 and narco travelling circus have hijacked ur thread somewhat :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Jules wrote: »
    I was gonna say get one of those plastic rings in like kids toy shops or a jelly ring, something cute like that... personally i would think that very cute!

aww yeah i'd like that too.

best of luck with it, aww :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭robbie2003ie

Lads and Lassies

Thanks a million for the replies, i have something in mind now.

Will let you know how it goes later.

Thanks again

PS

I like that Toy ring or Jelly Post

narco wrote: »
    as someone who made full use of tesco and lidl value in ireland, i find things to be a little more expensive here, generally. it's like shopping in dunnes all the time. cheap, but not the cheapest. except tesco and lidl haven't made it over here yet.

21/2 words...Pak 'n' Save. Ugh I hate that place though.

Now back on topic. Good luck later with the proposal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I like the empty ring box with the IOU in it or the jelly ring idea.

I don't think getting a cheap ring is a great idea as the person might think it's the real think and explaining 'oh by the way this isn't the real ring, you're worth more to me than a €20 elizabeth duke ring' while proposing might kinda ruin the moment!

Now to just figure out how to communicate subliminally with the OH when the time comes!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kiya wrote: »
    ooooh Best of Luck.

My friends have recently got engaged & they did it without rings.
    The guy popped the question with an empty ring box & a note saying " IOU 1 ring"

Brilliant, she said yes when he told her he was taking her, not only to chose the ring, but also to Antwerp (??) to buy the diamond! ;)

my friend was chuffed that he hadnt bought the ring, as she said, shes going to be stuck with it for years, so she better chose one she'll love :D

Oh my mate went to Antwerp to get his gf there ring, same ring here cost twice as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Nah... a cheeky cockney polo mint is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

watna wrote: »
    +1 take her to the local chipper and get her proper big onion rings! I'd love to be proposed to in a chipper, an engagement and chicken goujons all in one night! Yum!

If you're not a fan of the local chipper, jelly ring or hula hoop would be very cute!

Oh God i hope youre joking?! proposed to in a CHIPPER?!

sar84 wrote: »
    Oh God i hope youre joking?! proposed to in a CHIPPER?!

Yes, I'm joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

watna wrote: »
    Yes, I'm joking.

I was worried about you for a minute :p

21/2 words...Pak 'n' Save. Ugh I hate that place though.

Now back on topic. Good luck later with the proposal :D

like i siad... it's like dunnes... cheap...but i paid less for stuff when i shopped in lidl and tesco. tis pretty good though. and the 250g black forest dairy milks for $2.50 are just to die for... :D

They are the shizzle, and you can only get them there for some reason. A nice treat.

i tell my OH they're the only reason i came back.

Do you know what bugs me about living abroad....that so many countries have never contemplated cheap socks!

OP I love the jelly ring idea...best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Do you know what bugs me about living abroad....that so many countries have never contemplated cheap socks!

OP I love the jelly ring idea...best of luck :)

I've been told to stock up on Penney's knickers before I go to NZ, by more than one person!

Advertisement