Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 - compared to civic/Corolla for mpg?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I had a look at this car and she is very clean and Im tempted.

Audi A4 Year 2000 1.6 93k Nct 08/08 - full service history - timing belt done at 70k
    3 mth guarantee.

Audi Asking price is 7K - Is she good value for this?

What MPG would this Audi do?
    What MPG would a Toyota (yawn) Corolla do?
    What MPG would a Honda 1.4 do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota and Honda around 40mpg, Audi around 37 ish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Years ago a friend had a '96 1.6 A4, was closer to 34mpg. I had a '97 1.6 Civic Coupe at the time, averaged 40mpg. A4 is a lot heavier than a Civic, and a bit bigger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You would also have to take into account audi servicing costs being higher, dearer parts, higher tax, . But generally the audi would be a heavier car thus causing the mpg to suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Id really like an Octavia TDI 1.9 so - I hear they can do 65 mpg.
    There really is a massive difference between these and what TDI 1.9s can do

I suspect 6 out of 10 second hand Octavias were taxi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

worded wrote: »
    I suspect 6 out of 10 second hand Octavias were taxi though.

I'd say more like 1 in 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I hear they can do 65 mpg.

That's bullsh!t. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that, because the ideal conditions needed to get 65mpg out of that engine would work in favour of any car and increase any car's mpg by 10-15. People who get that are usually driving at 55mph and looking at the trip computer until it hits the max!
    You'll get between 45-52mpg for average every day driving in Ireland, unless you live one end of a motorway and work the other end of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

I had a look at this car and she is very clean and Im tempted.

Audi A4 Year 2000 1.6 93k Nct 08/08 - full service history - timing belt done at 70k
    3 mth guarantee.

Audi Asking price is 7K - Is she good value for this?

What MPG would this Audi do?
    What MPG would a Toyota (yawn) Corolla do?
    What MPG would a Honda 1.4 do?

the corolla new 1.4 petrol does about the same mpg as my 07 accord auto does!!
    for info i am getting 45mpg on motorway runs on my accord 2.0 auto and 22-25 mpg round town,, overall this avgs out at between 31-35 mpg over a full tank of fuel.

the audi and corolla are heavy so mpg will suffer.. i would say that the honda 1.4 would be similar.

however the 1.4 d4d corolla can return avgs of 50-51 per tank. when they first came out i had one and did 1000km per tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Parents had 2 different 1.4 Corollas a few years back temporarily. Most we ever got was 35 mpg in one. Their 1.8 Avensis now in the same situation gives 41 mpg or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say more like 1 in 20

What do you mean? I would have thought a lot more than 1 in 20 are taxi's. Sign of a good car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Biro wrote: »
    That's bullsh!t. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that, because the ideal conditions needed to get 65mpg out of that engine would work in favour of any car and increase any car's mpg by 10-15. People who get that are usually driving at 55mph and looking at the trip computer until it hits the max!
    You'll get between 45-52mpg for average every day driving in Ireland, unless you live one end of a motorway and work the other end of it!

65 MPG is only possible on long runs and driven in good traffic conditions with a lightish foot. Im talking 40+ mile trips here and little traffic on the road.

Shortish trips under 10 miles would give around 55MPG and City driving would be high 40s. That is what can be expected in real world driving.

P.S. I have got 70MPG on a Dublin-Galway run but the level of effort and concentration required to do that was exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

65 mpg is probably achievable if driven in granny mode all year round.

A4 is a heavier car than the other two. It also struggles in 1.6 to carry that heavy body around so expect mpg to suffer. I reckon a 1.8 A4 would be just as economical. Also the 1.8 A4 is a 20 valve unit which is light years ahead of the ancient 8 valve 1.6 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Altreab wrote: »
    65 MPG is only possible on long runs and driven in good traffic conditions with a lightish foot. Im talking 40+ mile trips here and little traffic on the road.

Shortish trips under 10 miles would give around 55MPG and City driving would be high 40s. That is what can be expected in real world driving.

P.S. I have got 70MPG on a Dublin-Galway run but the level of effort and concentration required to do that was exhausting.

That's what I meant alright. By right you need a fairly uncrowded motorway, and constant speed all the way. To shape someone up to expect 65mpg out of the VAG 1.9tdi is to line them up for disappointment. It's possible, but the few times you'll get that are hardly worth noting.

Advertisement