Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing the built in Radio on Corolla

Options
  • 11-01-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 00 Corolla. It's one of the ones with the built in radio, It's not the same shape as the standard radios so I can't put in a better one. Does anyone out there know where I can get a radio housing that will accept standard sized radios for the corolla?
    I'm sure that such a thing exsists cause I saw a car with it last week, but I've no idea where to get it.
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota used to fit the part you're looking for to 97-00 Corollas. Toyota should be able to supply one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it the VVTI model? If so the radio is just where the tape is and will swap out with a standard radio, you just need an adapter cable. You loose the radio display high on the dash, but the temp and fuel stay. Changed mine recently for the Lidl bluetooth radio and it went in fine. You have to take the whole centre console apart but there are only about 10 screws holding it in. Had it swapped out in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Thanks guys,
    Dell, what was this adapter cable called?
    Is the radio not a bit too low down in the tape deck spot?
    Might crash the car if I'm looking all the way down there to change songs etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Energizeer wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    Dell, what was this adapter cable called?
    Is the radio not a bit too low down in the tape deck spot?
    Might crash the car if I'm looking all the way down there to change songs etc...

I dont know what the corolla designers were smoking when they updated the dash layout from the 99 model . The after market stereo housing is in a ridiculous spot!

Anyway the cable you need is an ISO cable for Toyota corolla, you can get them from the UK on ebay for under 10 Euro.

http://myworld.ebay.ie/fittingsolutions/ <-- i bought 2 from this guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

putting a standard radio where the casette goes is a bad idea because:

it'll look silly having 2 stereos
    the stereo will be mounted low in the dash and will be a pain to see.

facia plates are available to swap the top stereo for a regular one, this looks far better and is more practical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement