Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coasting in neutral

Options
  • 11-01-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering if coasting in neutral does any damage to the engine or components?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if coasting in neutral does any damage to the engine or components?
    Mechanically, I wouldn't think so; be very careful doing it though, the vehicle will 'drive' and handle very differently to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

not a good idea - you loose engine braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did they not work out a few years ago on top gear that you us emore petrol coastig in neiutral than clowign down in gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Engine is more efficient if in gear while coasting, the momentum will keep the engine running. If you have it in neutral, it requires fuel to keep ticking over.

When I was getting driving lessons, the instructor said, for safety reasons, you shouldn't coast in neutral - something to do with what robamerc said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Never coast in neutral, bar for the car, fuel consumption, and bad for stopping in a hurry! Top Gear said that coasting in gear was using such a small amount of fuel it was effectively nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I do it all the time. Used to do it as a game on the way home from work when I was bored, and see how much better the MPG would get , and on a 25 mile journey it would increase by 1MPG on one hill. I don't think it is bad , but you would certainly fail you driving test if you were to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I noticed that my fuel consumption was adversely affected while coasting so have stopped doing it completely.
    Also as once happened before on my old car, I knocked it out of gear at about 30mph and the engine revs dropped, causing the car to stall with the obvious effects on brakes and steering :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You can save ton of petrol by coasting, especially if you drive carefully and lift off and coast rather than accelerate and brake.
    There is no harm to the engine. Racing drivers use this technique all the time to conserve fuel and brakes over long races.
    Using engine braking causes wear to the engine, using the brakes causes wear to the brakes. I know which one I would rather wear.
    I drive a car with a large engine and if I can bothered to drive well ahead of myself coast and use the brakes as little as possible I save a ton of petrol. It means leaving a gap between you and the car in front.
    The same technique has saved me from a few rear end shunts too.
    A famous racing driver once said "If your brakes have completly failed and your running out of fuel after 30 miles, thats ok in a 29.5 mile race"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Someone wrote into the Sunday Times In Gear about this recently and was told not to think about the economics as it is dangerous, illegal and not very bright at all.

So stop it.

Coasting with the car in gear i.e. leaving it in gear but taking your foot of the accelerator is fine, and is a great fuel saver, what's not fine is putting the car into neutral and then coasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you coast in neutral, you are effectively idling the engine, which consumes little fuel. However, if you lift your foot off the throttle and leave the car in gear, the engine goes into 'overrun'. In most modern engines, the ECU recognises overrun and shuts down the injectors resulting in zero l/100km.

Even an old MkI VW Golf that I used to drive had an overrun switch on it's Solex PIC-T carburettor :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

coasting in neutral will result in the gearbox turning quicker that its supposed to as the wheels are turning it, while the engine will be at idle (beteen 600-900rpm on average car) and that can give problems with selecting a gear and cause damage to the gearbox in the longterm.
    Its not an intellegent thing to do as others have said.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have to admit coasting in neutral doesn't feel right, however in traffic I can't see the problem.
    My car is an automatic so it doesn't come into the equation. As the lubricant pump in the autobox needs engine power when moving
    I was as surprised as anyone to see neutral gear road coasting being advocated by a famous racing driver ( I forget who it was ). But I tried it on my wifes car and the results are amazing.
    But in reality its more about thinking ahead driving, leaving a good gap and anticipating way ahead I think are key.

I was on here before about not using your brakes, I think people thought i meant like fast driving. The reverse is quite the case hanging back drive slowly, leave a good gap. Sure people will sometimes take the gap just drop back again.

As a young man ages ago i understand the need to power into a corner dab the brakes drop a gear, let the engine roar and accelerate out. Thats a different style of driving (and I love it too).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stratos wrote: »
    You can save ton of petrol by coasting, especially if you drive carefully and lift off and coast rather than accelerate and brake.
    There is no harm to the engine. Racing drivers use this technique all the time to conserve fuel and brakes over long races.
    Using engine braking causes wear to the engine, using the brakes causes wear to the brakes. I know which one I would rather wear.
    I drive a car with a large engine and if I can bothered to drive well ahead of myself coast and use the brakes as little as possible I save a ton of petrol. It means leaving a gap between you and the car in front.
    The same technique has saved me from a few rear end shunts too.
    A famous racing driver once said "If your brakes have completly failed and your running out of fuel after 30 miles, thats ok in a 29.5 mile race"

So you'd rather risk damage to an engine to save on a consumable:confused: Also if you are driving with the correct gap you wouldn't be in danger of shunting the car in front of you.
    Or are you coasting in gear and reading the road, as the OP is asking about coasting in neutral?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the replies. I know its not the smartest thing, but habit has gotten the better of me.
    I never do it at the last minute. It would be when approaching from a distance. Plus, I would be breaking at the same time, so I can judge the stopping distance.
    What I have noticed though, is sometimes Im dropping from 3rd/4th gear down. Admittingly again, not very clever, but driving for a few hours has a tendency to make me do the 'easier option' of coasting.
    Again, I never do this close up. Most of the time its when Im the first car approaching a red light.

@ terrontress, where did you see that it was illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The manual from BMW for the E30 instructed you to coast as often as posisble to help fuel consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Sometimes, If I'm coming up to a red light and I'm in third I will put the clutch down, put it in first, but leave my foot on the clutch for and let it roll for a few seconds and then brake. I want to stop this as I don't want to make a habit of it. Is this coasting? Or are you putting it in neutral once you gain momentum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

"You don't say what you do when you go out of gear, but with a manual transmission, you should shift to neutral and not keep your foot on the clutch, that causes more wear on the throwout bearing. Most clutches die from bearing wear than actually wearing out the clutch itself. The bearing can go bad, or it can eat through the clutch pressure plate fingers.
    Overall, I think your gas savings probably are about equal to the increased brake maintenance, so keep doing this if it makes you feel good, but it would probably take some top quality scientific methods to prove any savings one way or the other."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Driving-Driving-Test-2382/Coasting-Neutral-Save-Gas.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I deliberately tried it once on a hill near Cobh. Stopped the car at the top of it, gave a little kick in first gear to get rolling. TOTALLY SCARED THE **** out of myself as when i looked at the speedo half way down, I was rapidly approaching 60mph. Not in gear. Felt like the car was running away from me.

Certainly wouldn't recommend it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Crazy, imo. You are not driving the car, merely steering it. What if you have to make a sudden evasive manoeuvre? What if the engine cuts out (and your power steering and brakes go)?

If you have to put the engine back in gear, will you be able to match the revs?

I do not believe that this procedure is recommended by any manufacturer or safety authority.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    Crazy, imo. You are not driving the car, merely steering it. What if you have to make a sudden evasive manoeuvre? What if the engine cuts out (and your power steering and brakes go)?

If you have to put the engine back in gear, will you be able to match the revs?

I do not believe that this procedure is recommended by any manufacturer or safety authority.

Couldn't agree more! Which was why i stopped the car, and DROVE the rest of the way down. Before that it was as if i was a passanger in my own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

vtec wrote: »
    coasting in neutral will result in the gearbox turning quicker that its supposed to as the wheels are turning it, while the engine will be at idle (beteen 600-900rpm on average car) and that can give problems with selecting a gear and cause damage to the gearbox in the longterm

I'm sorry but you have totally lost me here

How will the gearbox be turning faster than it should because it's being driven by the wheels rather than the engine? The gearbox will be working at exactly the same speed as if the clutch was engaged will it not, at whatever speed it should be relative to the wheel speed, regardless of where the motive force is from.

And why does the difference between engine speed and gearbox speed make any difference? The OP asked about coasting in neutral so there is no connection between teh gearbox and teh engine so thier relative speeds are irrelevant, aren't they?

As for re-selecting a gear you'd blip the throttle before engaging to match revs and road speed I assume.

Couple of points - I can think of absolutley no way that coasting a car can damage it, as long as you try to match revs before re-engaging the gearbox. Coasting in neutral should not be confused with slipping (or riding) the clutch, where you depress the clutch while gears are engaged so reduce the torque going from the engine to the wheels. This is a very bad habit and causes a huge amount of wear to the clutch pad.

Secondly there is a huge difference between free wheeling down a steep hill (which is dangerous) and popping teh car into neutral so it can roll forward in stop start town traffic.

kdevitt wrote: »
    The manual from BMW for the E30 instructed you to coast as often as posisble to help fuel consumption.

Presumably they meant once the car is up to speed, only use the accelerator when necessary. I doubt it BMW are promoting the idea that E30 owners should take the car out of gear and pout it into neutral when driving.

A lot of people are mixing up coasting in neutral with coasting while the car is in gear.

Coasting with the car in gear is perfectly fine, it is very good for saving fuel and does no damage to the engine at all, but putting the car into neutral when the car is moving is NOT fine, wastes more fuel than the method described above, is not good for the engine and very dangerous indeed!

How will the gearbox be turning faster than it should because it's being driven by the wheels rather than the engine? The gearbox will be working at exactly the same speed as if the clutch was engaged will it not, at whatever speed it should be relative to the wheel speed, regardless of where the motive force is from.

Modern engines are programmed so that if someone puts the car into neutral while the car is moving, the revs stay a lot higher than they normally would if the car was stopped and in neutral. Like if the idle speed was 600 rpm, if you put the car into neutral so as to coast, the car will "idle" at say 1200 rpm.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Whenever I put it into Neutral, my revs drop completley. As mentioned, Im not doing it over a mile or anything, its simply coming into traffic lights. I know its a bad habit, but dangerous? Everything you do in a car is potentially dangerous. Im driving in a straight line on a flat surface. How the engine would cut out in neutral is beyond me?

E92 wrote: »
    Presumably they meant once the car is up to speed, only use the accelerator when necessary. I doubt it BMW are promoting the idea that E30 owners should take the car out of gear and pout it into neutral when driving.

A lot of people are mixing up coasting in neutral with coasting while the car is in gear.

Coasting with the car in gear is perfectly fine, it is very good for saving fuel and does no damage to the engine at all, but putting the car into neutral when the car is moving is NOT fine, wastes more fuel than the method described above, is not good for the engine and very dangerous indeed!

Eh.?? Coasting in gear?? You have me lost - you're either in gear or you're not.

BMW recommended coasting (in neutral just in case anyone gets confused) to save petrol. Love the way people got scared by their cars getting away from them when they were coasting!! Are they incapable of using the brakes??

Love the way people got scared by their cars getting away from them when they were coasting!! Are they incapable of using the brakes??

On the hill i was referring to I HAD to use the brakes. If I had driven (in gear) down that hill i wouldn't have been going quite so fast

Eh.?? Coasting in gear?? You have me lost - you're either in gear or you're not.

I always thought coasting just meant leaving your foot off the accelerator pedal and letting the car go on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Gatecrash. You are saying that BMW recommend that if you are driving down a long gradient, i.e. the hill to the Boyne Bridge; you take the car out of gear, into neutral and let gravity pull the car down the hill instead?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    I always thought coasting just meant leaving your foot off the accelerator pedal and letting the car go on it's own.

No - thats driving in gear. You're coasting if you're in neutral, or you have the clutch dipped.

Advertisement