Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Premier League Matches

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

3 of them by taylor actually iirc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Des please tell me you aint defending people who dive constantly? :(
    Al, how the jaysis did you deduce that from my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In my opinion its fine within limits, however like anything if done stupidly it is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Actually des just re-read it there, sorry, dont know how i came to that! PM sent to you in a minute.

In my opinion its fine within limits, however like anything if done stupidly like some players it is annoying.

i really think you are a strange poster. I can never tell if you are taking the piss or being serious.

Actually des just re-read it there, sorry, dont know how i came to that! PM sent to you in a minute.
    I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation :D

No I'm being serious, if someone puts out their leg and you have no chance to get the ball then I think it is clever to try get a free or a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A matter for another thread!!!

Yeah but I can't stand this Ronaldo is a bad person because he exploits a situation on the football field.

Ok wat about.....I dont like Ronaldo as a person because he is constantly dishonest.

Is that better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Villain wrote: »
    Oh and after watching that free kick Ronaldo got and scored, he's a very very stupid cheat, he has such ability and doesn't need to grab his shin and pretend he's hurt when he obviously wasn't touched. Sadly his cheating will never allow him to claim the praise he deserves from other fans for his ability, e.g. the Peno against Derby, game is over and he cheats to get a peno. Cheat with great ability.

one name for the moment

Diego Maradona.....is he not considered one of the true greats in football no?

I would have to accept that, however his dishonesty on the pitch is not an indication of his personality.

Look if you think that makes him a poor sportsman then that is you, but not in my book. Even when I didnt like Ronaldo(I thought he was crap in world cup and european cup 2004) I still hated the crap he got for diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kryogen wrote: »
    one name for the moment

Diego Maradona.....is he not considered one of the true greats in football no?

LOL well I know him as the Hand of God, but that was only one incident, Ronaldo cheats week in week out and its not even the cheating its the way he complains standing with his hands in the air when he loses the ball to a clean tackle.

I have always said Ronaldo was class, I even remeber saying it about 2 years ago in a thread when everyone was having a rant against, I said I'm sure any manager would rather pick Ronaldo than try and pick a corner back to mark him.

The thing is he is giving people enough reasons to slate him as he is giving Utd fans reasons to love him. Geroge Best might have been an alco but he was a great player and he took tackles without moaning or feigning injury and been a cheat, as long as Ronaldo continues the way he is he will always be a cheat first and a great talent second which imo is sad for him and Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Villain wrote: »
    , as long as Ronaldo continues the way he is he will always be a cheat first and a great talent second which imo is sad for him and Utd.

in your opinion.

All professional footballers are cheats, every single one of them from claiming throws that arent theirs to diving, fouling, stamping, every single one of them is a cheat.

So do we just overlook everyone else doing it week in week out and focus on ronaldo doing it so that we can hate a united player?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    in your opinion.

All professional footballers are cheats, every single one of them from claiming throws that arent theirs to diving, fouling, stamping, every single one of them is a cheat.

So do we just overlook everyone else doing it week in week out and focus on ronaldo doing it so that we can hate a united player?

kdjac

Somewhat different tbh.

Most people in their career will take dives, claim things that arent theres, and make a couple of "bad" tackles.

BUT

Their is a massive difference between these people and the people who do these things ALL the time. Ronaldo dives ALL THE TIME. Diouf will ALWAYS be a despicable person for his actions on the football pitch regularly over the course of his career.

These people deserve to be criticised for their CONTSTANT cheating.

in your opinion.

kdjac
    LOL Kdjac find any other player in the Preimer at the moment that complains and dives as much as Ronaldo? If you asked me a year or two ago I would have said Drogba was just as bad but he has improved that side of his game a lot.

Don't get me wrong I know players dive every week I mean I slated Ashley Young on here a few weeks for diving and said he should have been fined a weeks wages for it, its just while it happens every week its not done by the same players every week with the exception of Ronaldo and its not even the diving as I have said above its the constant complaining throwing his arms in the air when he loses the ball through a clean tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

These people deserve to be criticised for their CONTSTANT cheating.

Cheating is cheating but with football its twisted to suit a fans opinion and club.

Ronaldo dives dont see many Utd fans constantly berating him for it.

gerrard dives dont see pool constantly berating him for it.

But what you do see is both sets berating each others player.

Villian is ok cant think of any serial diver with Villa this season, Angel used to be a bit of girl. :D

Villian his complaing is more his attitude than cheating, for all the dives he takes just as many whacks Carr nailed him twice (when faced with skillful player i also whack them early) in the 1st few minutes.

not defending ronaldo but they all cheats, and gauranteed when young got that peno you cheered it going in.

dammit good example removed from youtube :(

kdjac

I actually think quite a few Utd Fans slate Ronaldo for his diving, I have 2 mates who are die hard Utd fans and while they love the ability of Ronaldo and his goals for Utd they actually hate the person he is on the pitch, as I've said Kdjac its not just about his cheating.

Ronaldo dives dont see many Utd fans constantly berating him for it.

gerrard dives dont see pool constantly berating him for it.

Do you honestly believe that Gerrard dives anywhere near the same amount as Ronaldo?

Please cite me examples of Gerrards diving this year.

• Advertisement

Just to add I say I have no problem with diving, but this is not meant to be controversial, indeed my most favourite player(after Cambiasso) is perhaps the most honest player.

Didnt take him long to start - first day of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Do you honestly believe that Gerrard dives anywhere near the same amount as Ronaldo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-hXYn2pA0

These are not this year but Gerrard is inclined to go down with little or no contact.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Didnt take him long to start - first day of the season.

Ok, so Gerrard took a dive on the first day of the season against Villa. (btw, i think thats disputable! ;))

That wat, nearly 6 months ago? hardly wat you'd call a serial offender?

Now compare that to Ronaldo who took more blatant dives in the Newcastle game this evening than Gerrard has in the last, wat, 2 years?

Gerrard dived against Villa to get the free kick he scored but its ok because after the game when asked about he said something along the lines of: thats football some weeks things go for you and some weeks they don't they equal themselves out.

The next week Chelsea got a peno against the Pool for nothing so Gerrard was right and he got what he deserved and while Gerrard has dived on occasions he is no where the class of cheat that Ronaldo is and Gerrard can actually take a hard clean tackle and not jump up and down like a sissy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Absolutely Sick.

I actually had a feeling we'd get something today at Old Trafford but was sadly mistaken.

Man Utd were on fire. Ronaldo (captain) and Ferdinand on my fantasy football team my only consolation...

Hopefully we'll get a competent, experienced and proven manager to finally sort out the madness.

- Upset NUFC fan.

• Advertisement

The bet goal was Ferdinand's tbh.

The spot and ball from Rooney were exquisite.

phenom wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-hXYn2pA0

These are not this year but Gerrard is inclined to go down with little or no contact.

Not really of any relevance as i am in agreeance that gerrard has dived on occassion, its not something i condone.

Had to laugh at Avram Grant's post match interview with BBC.

Interviewer: 'Arsenal held today Avram, youre right back in the thick of the title race.."
    Avram: "Huh?"
    Interviewer: 'Arsenal held...'
    Avram *blank stare*
    Voice off screen: 'Drew..'
    Avram *blank stare*
    Voice off screen: "Arsenal drew..."
    Avram: "They drew? I thought they win"
    Interviewer: "Haha, puts you right back in the thick of the title race"
    Avram: "No communication at Chelsea!"

Also laughed at Gary Linekers comments on how dull Grant is during interviews after seeing that:

"No communication at Chelsea indeed, he obviously didnt know that they won 2-0!"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Interviewer: 'Arsenal held today Avram, youre right back in the thick of the title race.."
    Avram *blank stare*
    Avram *blank stare*

Also laughed at Gary Linekers comments on how dull Grant is during interviews after seeing that:

"No communication at Chelsea indeed, he obviously didnt know that they won 2-0!"

LOL. And who said Grant couldnt do intersting interviews? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DesF wrote: »
    Fook. PHB was at this match wasn't he?

We'll never hear the bleedin' end of it :D

:) What an incredible game. How anyone can say the Owen decision was the key moment of the game was clearly watching a different game. United were carving open Newcastles defence, it was only a matter of time.

What a game :) The best goal was without a doubt Ronaldos second. His touch was just godlike. Only had to spend 9 hours on the coach, which is better than normal :)

What a great day, only bad point is the resurgance of Chelsea, but we took the lead and it's without a doubt a 3 horse race now.

• Advertisement

Yeh I couldn't get over the control for his second goal... Tevez (I think) fired a rocket just ahead of Ron and he took it perfectly. Sent the keeper the wrong way too :)

ps. You're a jammy git for getting to that match :(

PHB wrote: »
    :) What an incredible game.
    yadda yadda yadda:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

oh its great coming on ere and reading some bitter posts after united do something like that. this is the most predictable place ever, united play some of the best stuff in years and the focus is somehow taken away from it to diving.

This Ronaldo "diving" situation is totally blown outta proportion. there is a difference between going down too easy and diving. ronaldo runs at pace, people generally cant get near him, if contact is made, which there generally is, then he is entitled to go down.

we had a thread a few months ago after the saha penalty v chesea and this was discussed to no end. its getting boring, people go down easily, others dive. personally, i think neither gerrard nor ronaldo are serial divers, they are players who run with pace, that get some form of contact that knocks them off their stride. if there is contact. no matter how minimal, you are entitled to go down, end of story. divers?? i cant think of any proper divers in the premiership cos i only really watch united week in week out, so im not going to jump on bandwagons and start pointing fingers.

anyway, united were awesome. being critical, could say that the game should have been over at half time.rooney was awesome, my bro in law(scouser fan, i was going to go but decided not cos im broke after christmas!!) was at the game and said that its only when u see him live you realise just how good he is. his pass to rio was the best assist so far this season, unreal. ronaldo was well, class as always. his second goal was top class. tevez, 2 more goals, im surprised how well he is doing really. 12 goals i think aint it?

Carrick was superb and i thought o shea, bar was mistake, was also very good and played a big part in 2 of the goals. back 4 was the usual no nonsense stuff. giggs gave away the ball alot, as usual and anderson was quite. overall , a great day for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

ronaldo runs at pace, people generally cant get near him, if contact is made, which there generally is, then he is entitled to go down.

Entitled to go down? Who is he? Bernard Dunne?
    Show me in the rule book where it says a player is entitled to go down and subsequently be rewarded a free kick because someone got a little bit close to them? Nonsense.
    Sure, people can go roll around on the ground all they want on or off the ball as last time I checked, its a free country, but they are not due a free kick/penalty every time they hit the deck as some players seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

then he is entitled to go down.

WTF? How the hell is he entitled to go down? Last time I checked it's a contact sport. Maybe he should go off and play netball where every touch is punished with a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hands up who has never uttered the words, "He shoulda went down!" when a player form a team you support is fouled but somehow manages to stay on his feet only to carry on and then miss his shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Avram *blank stare*
    Avram *blank stare*

:DI thought this was hilarious. He looked as if he was asleep.

My opinion on this is very simple. If contact is made, it's a foul. However, a ref won't ever give the penalty if you continue running. As such, you are entitled to cheat to get the right decision. That said, I think all out diving is a different issue.

PHB wrote: »
    My opinion on this is very simple. If contact is made, it's a foul. However, a ref won't ever give the penalty if you continue running. As such, you are entitled to cheat to get the right decision. That said, I think all out diving is a different issue.

Any contact?

If contact which impedes your chances of scoring, yes. If someone literally taps you no. But if somebody leaves their leg in so that you have two choices,
    A. Jump over it, avoid the contact, and miss the chance
    B. Run into it, get clear contact, and win a foul
    Then the choice is clear. Leaving your leg in like that is a foul, but refs will never give it.

p.s. After watching the replays on TV, there's no doubt in my mind that United should have had three penalties. The Ronaldo one, definately the Giggs one, and definately the Ferdinand one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think Sunderland will win this 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

No problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hands up who has never uttered the words, "He shoulda went down!" when a player form a team you support is fouled but somehow manages to stay on his feet only to carry on and then miss his shot.

3 words:
    John Arne Riise :D

Why oh why does he never go down?

1-0 Sunderland. Richardson

Sizzler wrote: »
    At least Ronaldo doesn't criticise others over it! :eek: What cheek

Richardson finally doing what he can, imo he will be Keanes best signing.

2-0 now. Richardson again

Great timing from me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DaveMcG wrote: »
    At least Ronaldo doesn't criticise others over it! :eek: What cheek
    Gerrard probably claiming he was misquoted :D

• Advertisement

Anyone got a stream for the Sunderland match?

I have Campbell and Benjani on my FF team :( Sort it out, laike!

Advertisement