Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Premier League Matches

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jaysus that "30 greatest ronaldo dives" is pathetic. most if not all actually had the refs right beside the foul and resulted in a blatant free. some loser that actually made that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sizzler wrote: »
    This scouse fan knows his captain only too well :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNE3opjOZQ&feature=related

I honestly cant make out anything on that. couldnt even tell you what match its from, lots of smudges running about tho.

Wrost footage (of anything) ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Stekelly wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjn2oF2OPc

First one that came to mind.

There may have been contact (not sure but only a sid eview could show that) but if there was its because ronaldo flicks his leg across into the debry player.

Looks like some of the lads have followed their captains example !

This is too easy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YFp6Kigmuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75xQMTyU24&feature=related

And as good as a player Torres is he looks like he brought some 'form' with him from Spain :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-kCvKNVX0&feature=related

I honestly cant make out anything on that. couldnt even tell you what match its from, lots of smudges running about tho.

Wrost footage (of anything) ever.

Did you listen to it with sound :rolleyes: It was the comment of the fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFjn2oF2OPc

First one that came to mind.

There may have been contact (not sure but only a sid eview could show that) but if there was its because ronaldo flicks his leg across into the debry player.

Fair enough, I actually meant to mention that. That was an extreme example of Ronaldo looking for contact. I reckon that sort of thing is a result his mentality of just trying to draw a foul, which is a totally legitimate tactic. However that is not a foul by the Derby player. It is a dive by Ronaldo, no question (a very good dive actually, I'm almost impressed)

Have you any other examples from this season? Because I did think of that one, forgot to mention it, but if there are too many more then I might have to revise my 'Ronaldo is no longer a diver' comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ok I think thats enough of the youtube videos....

Looks like some of the lads have followed their captains example !

This is too easy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YFp6Kigmuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75xQMTyU24&feature=related

And as good as a player Torres is he looks like he brought some 'form' with him from Spain :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-kCvKNVX0&feature=related

? The first on eis the link you already posted and the 3rd is Torres before he even signed for Liverpool

Did you listen to it with sound :rolleyes: It was the comment of the fan..

Nope, my sound isnt working. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Do I win for most rolleyes?

Fair enough, I actually meant to mention that. That was an extreme example of Ronaldo looking for contact. I reckon that sort of thing is a result his mentality of just trying to draw a foul, which is a totally legitimate tactic. However that is not a foul by the Derby player. It is a dive by Ronaldo, no question (a very good dive actually, I'm almost impressed)

Have you any other examples from this season? Because I did think of that one, forgot to mention it, but if there are too many more then I might have to revise my 'Ronaldo is no longer a diver' comment.

Being honest I have seen a few from him , but dont remember from what matches so it would probably be a long search for soemthin gwe know is true.

? The first on eis the link you already posted and the 3rd is Torres before he even signed for Liverpool

Nope, my sound isnt working. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Do I win for most rolleyes?

Eh no its not? Sissoko-Alonso-Torres :confused:

Correct. Hence my comment about Torres bringing form with him....i.e. from Spain!

If your sound is working you'll get the scouse humour on the vid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

OMG, that sissoko one is fecking brilliant. that has to be, the best dive of all time. he could have done himself serious injury there. he nearly had snow on him when he came down he jumped so high. launchpad he should be called from now on.

• Advertisement

Sissoko hardly counts as a player though.

This is the best ever anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyodSDQbXM

At least Ronaldo made the effort to flick his leg over to the defender.

Being honest I have seen a few from him , but dont remember from what matches so it would probably be a long search for soemthin gwe know is true.

Fair enough I certainly wouldn't be arsed trawling youtube either. But in all the United matches I've seen this season (which is all of them, though a fair number have just been highlights. DesF will be spinning in his grave, if he was dead) that was the only stonewall 'dive' I remember. Could be wrong though.

Actually I'm almost 100% that PHB gave out a couple of times this season about Ronaldo in either the maych thread or the Utd thread, that might narrow your search. :)

Sissoko hardly counts as a player though.

You got £10m for him :confused:

Juve should get an industrial sized tub of Vaseline as part of the deal cos they were rode :eek:

You got £10m for him :confused:
    :

All that proves is that some clubs let monkeys control the chequebooks. Maybe we suckered them with a 5 min, heavily edited "highlights" dvd. Think along the lines of the radioactiveman movie in the simpsons that they edited with old footage when Milhouse legged it.

That or he has hidden skills as a groundsman.

All that proves is that some clubs let monkeys control the chequebooks. Maybe we suckered them with a 5 min, heavily edited "highlights" dvd. Think along the lines of the radioactiveman movie in the simpsons that they edited with old footage when Milhouse legged it.

That or he has hidden skills as a groundsman.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sorry but Rio is quite clearly shoving nando there?!?!

Ps. Love the way Nando isnt afraid of anyone.

Still waiting for any Utd fans to say that Gerrard dives anywhere near as much as Ronaldo????

yea didnt think so

"nando"? ha!

not afraid of anyone. yep, he's a true hero.

talk about rose-tinted glasses. you are actually incapable to hold a balanced arguement due to your bias towards your team.

give up the childish taunts demanding answers to your questions, you're ranting at this stage.

calling Ronaldo "a disgrace of a human being" is nothing more than bitter and claiming you meant it in a football sense is laughable. Its obvious that it was personal attack.

quarryman wrote: »
    calling Ronaldo "a disgrace of a human being" is nothing more than bitter and claiming you meant it in a football sense is laughable. Its obvious that it was personal attack.

He's a puffball.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They go hand in hand though. Ref's know he dives a lot, so are going to be less inclined to give him things because it is hard to determine whats a foul and what isnt. so he's only likely to get teh real obvious things.

Boy who cried wolf.

Absolutely. This annoys me to no end, especially the Derby dive.
    He was finally losing his reputation as a diver, as he doesn't dive anywhere near as much as he used to, and he realised its often better to stay on your feet, especially outside the box. Then he goes and does that stupid dive for utterly no reason.

He has brought this on himself, of that there is no doubt. Nonetheless, just like refs should be better at stopping diving, they should be better at protecting him aswell. If he dives, book him. If he is fouled, give a free. If you are doing neither, you are just making the problem worse.

Gerrard is just as bad at it. He will dive if he gets the chance. The thing is, he doesn't get tackled anywhere near as much as Ronaldo, cause he doesn't run with the ball anywhere near as much. Gerrard dives if he thinks it will give him an advantage. That is his only issue. He doesn't have a problem with it, he's done it many a time. I also firmly believe his campaign against diving is an attempt to keep the mediaa off his back, that way he won't pick up that reputation which is very damaging to a players ability to win frees.

Ronaldo isn't anywhere near as smart as that yet in terms of diving. He will however learn. Neither however have a problem with 'cheating' in order to win games, and anyone who says otherwise is just utterly kidding themselves.

Personally I don't think people should dive, but I do think that you should be allowed go down easy in order to win a freekick you deserve. However until the authorities step in and fix this problem, with retrospective 5 match bans for dives, I want my players to keep diving, because in the end, winning is the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jaysis! That one some goal by the Irish lad Nolan!! :D Goal of the season so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PHB wrote: »
    He has brought this on himself, of that there is no doubt. Nonetheless, just like refs should be better at stopping diving, they should be better at protecting him aswell. If he dives, book him. If he is fouled, give a free. If you are doing neither, you are just making the problem worse.

Gotta agree with that... I've seen so many times Ronaldo ending up on the ground. Looks like a foul, but ref says no. So is it a dive then? If so, why is he not booked?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis! That one some goal by the Irish lad Nolan!! :D Goal of the season so far

and here it is.

http://www.footytube.com/2008/01/13/bolton-1-2-blackburn-rovers/

great goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id say because a played can end up on the ground without diving, and without it being a foul

its not simply get the ball cleanly = play on, player dives = booking, contact = foul

you can send a player to the ground with a tackle and actually hurt him without it being a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads, this is ridiculous.

I say that diving is an epidemic in football. And that Ronaldo is a serial offender. I concede that Gerrard has dived before its even brought up as i know, Utd fans wont be able to hear a criticism of Ronaldo without attacking me back (ie.the captain of the club i follow).

Despite me already addressing that Gerrard has taken a couple of dives in the past, you all pop up with your excellent youtube clips.

And all of a sudden i am too biased toward my club!?

My point was that ronaldo is a far worse offender than Gerrard, then we get clips of Torres/Alonso/Sissoko diving!? What relevence is this to the fact that Ronaldo dives week in, week out?!

Until any of you are able to admit that Ronaldo is currently the worst diver in the premiership, please refrain from accusing me of being biased towards my club!

Do you not acknowledge a difference between 'diving', which Ronaldo occasionally - but, recently at least, rarely - does, and simply going to ground on contact when you don't strictly have to?

More importantly, what a peach! Kevin Nolan for play/manager of Ireland!

Until any of you are able to admit that Ronaldo is currently the worst diver in the premiership, please refrain from accusing me of being biased towards my club!
    So you watch 900 minutes of Premiership football a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nolan's goal was class, I thought esteban was exaggerating earlier when he compared to something Zidane would be hailed as a genius for.

What a finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think the point is that people in glass houses should not throw stones.

RONALDO DIVES QUITE A BIT (this has significantly reduced as he has matured)

But, Stevie Gerrard has shown time and time again that he has absolutely no problem with hitting the deck if it's gonna benefit him. You keep saying that he "sometimes goes down a bit easily", etc., and that you "don't approve" of it -- and in the same post you'll call Ronaldo a disgrace of a human being, and so on...

You can't just say that it's an unfortunate aspect of the game when Gerrard does it, but when Ronaldo does it it's on par with murder. It's either acceptable or it is not. Someone who does it is either a cheater, or not.

Is Steven Gerrard a cheat?

Yes he has occassionally cheated (more so for England than Liverpool though) by taking a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Then Ronaldo only 'occasionally cheats' in that case...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

More importantly, what a peach! Kevin Nolan for play/manager of Ireland!

He is English though

• Advertisement

FFS lads, its like talking to children.

The most recent examples of Gerrards diving for us you could bring up was Villa in August and CL final 2005 (which i dont think was a dive).

say the same for Ronaldo?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He is English though

and?

you can be English and still play for Ireland.

you could be Iraqi and still play for Ireland.

all thanks to your Irish granny....

Indeed

the ironing is delicious.
    The most recent examples of Gerrards diving for us you could bring up was Villa in August and CL final 2005 (which i dont think was a dive).

You're right! C'mon lads there's been way more than that since then. Get the youtube fingers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

quarryman wrote: »
    and?

you can be English and still play for Ireland.

you could be Iraqi and still play for Ireland.

all thanks to your Irish granny....

I know, I know ;) sure you don't even need the granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread, anyone like to tell me what percentage of the posts are about things that happened in games befre this weekend?

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread, anyone like to tell me what percentage of the posts are about things that happened in games befre this weekend?
    312%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

mike65 wrote: »
    cson is the king of the Premier League Weekend Thread! Sadly deposed by upstart wowy ;)

I bet if cson had started this thread, none of this going-round-in-circles bickering would have occurred. Apologies. It won't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

DesF wrote: »
    Nolan's goal was class, I thought esteban was exaggerating earlier when he compared to something Zidane would be hailed as a genius for.

What a finish.

Me exaggerate? Never.

• Advertisement
Advertisement