Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schedule D Case 1 Tax

• 11-01-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

This is for the self-employed, right?
    Recently I was given a question where I had to work out a person's Schedule D Case 1 tax adjusted profits. One of the expenses listed in the P&L was Directors' fees. Am I right in saying that this is not an allowable expense?
    Also, a figure was given for pensions contributions (i assume it is for the employees and not the self-employed person): there was an ordinary contribution, which i assume is allowable; there was also a special contribution. Is this allowable too? Plus, isn't there also a tax relief available on a portion of the special contribution?

Comments

I would have thought that 'directors' would only apply to a company, rather than a case I trade or profession? I.e. Case I's are individuals, there wouldn't be directors involved.

Just a hunch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

ND 1978 is right, Diectors fees suggests a ltd company.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rathmaniacal

so Schedule D Case 1 only applies to sole traders?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

Self-emplyed traders

Coala wrote: »
    Self-emplyed traders

If some one has his or her own company wouldnt that count as being a self employed trader?

• Advertisement

If someone has his or her own company, then it's a company!

If they have not incorporated as a company, then they are a sole trader.

Sole traders and company's are completely different in many ways, not least in the way they are taxed.

ND 1978 wrote: »
    If someone has his or her own company, then it's a company!

If they have not incorporated as a company, then they are a sole trader.

Sole traders and company's are completely different in many ways, not least in the way they are taxed.
    so in plain terms a person who has a company does not pay income tax under schedule d case 1?

so in plain terms a person who has a company does not pay income tax under schedule d case 1?

Correct. A company pays Corporation tax, not income tax. Look for the word 'Limited' in the name of the business. If it is there, then corporation tax generally applies!

So (and I realize I am being a pain in the ass about this) if a guy has a company he would pay tax on his salary and things like BIK under Schedule E;the company would pay tax on its profits under corporation tax; and if the guy wanted to cash out down the line he would be subject to some other kind of tax (like CGT or something)?

So (and I realize I am being a pain in the ass about this) if a guy has a company he would pay tax on his salary and things like BIK under Schedule E;the company would pay tax on its profits under corporation tax; and if the guy wanted to cash out down the line he would be subject to some other kind of tax (like CGT or something)?

Correct, although not sure the CGT bit. If he wants to take money further down the line, the 2 most popular ways in my experience are salary (taxable under Schedule E) or dividend (Schedule F). Either way, its income tax! Just different schedules.

I think the important point is that when someone owns a company, they are still liable for income tax in their own name as an individual, on top of the corporation tax that the company must pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement