Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giants for the Vince Lombardi Trophy?

• 11-01-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm a Giants fan, so you might think I'm a bit mad when I say I think that the Giants can go all the way this year!!!

I just have this sneaking feeling that they can do it. They went through a bit of a slump not so long ago, but they have come out the other side of it and are starting to get it together.

What do you reckon? Am I just mad? ;)

Probably one weak point, but amazingly a strong point at the same time is Peyton Manning. He can be infuriating at times, but there are signs there that he will be a really good quarter-back.

Even though the Cowboys and Pats are obviously a lot stronger, I still think the Giants can do it.

I actually fancy them to beat the cowboys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Maybe, good to have confidence anyway. Cant see them beating cowyboys tho, and if they do they'd have to go to Green Bay or Seattle and win there, and then beat better ranked teams in the AFC.

Yeah, Peyton Manning can be infuriating alright, especially when he plays well for the Colts!:p Having won MVP and getting a superbowl MVP and a ring, are good signs he might be good!;) But yeah, Eli might do well, wont be as good as Peyton, but he needs to stop having those all too often poor games where he makes some bad calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Eli is not good enough simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They have a great shot at beating Dallas, but going to Lambeau will be a severe shock to the system after Tampa and Dallas, so no chance of even getting a look at ole Vince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Colts - 'nuff said. In the furore of the whole 16 - 0 situation, let it not be forgotten that the Superbowl Champs up until week 9 were being touted as the team to beat. The pats beat them, it's true, but it was very close (admittedly a few other teams got close to the Pats too, but none of them Superbowl champs). I've a feeling (looking at the prediction thread) that many have written them off. Be warned folks - at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

I'd say that the Giants have a great shot at covering the spread and possibly even winning this weekend. The key for them would be the play of their defensive line and T.O.'s ankle. The offense is capable enough if they limit their mistakes.

Eli wouldn't be the worst qb to hoist the Lombardi.

Signed,

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I personally don't think the Giants have much chance of getting to the Superbowl, let alone winning it.. I think the NFC have a slim chance of winning the Superbowl, but if the Giants were to represent them I think that the Colts, Pats, Jags or Chargers would beat them...

Personally it has to be either the Pats or Colts to win it... Lombardi is 100% (in my mind at least) heading to the AFC yet again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh, only chance I think the Giants have of beating the Cowboys is if TO doesn't make it.

Means they can focus on trying to stop the Cowboys TE Witten without having to worry about TO.

If Owens plays, Giants are out.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Giants have no hope of going to SB. Dallas will depend on Romo tonight, if his hand is recovered they win. Eli's too inconsistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The thing is though, the Giants have played both the Cowboys and the Patriots this season.

Giants had a great lead on the Patriots. The most the Patriots have been behind in a game all season. Of course, they did come back to win it, but the Giants have the experience this season of playing these two teams.. That has to count for something.... and on the day this could be quite valuable for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Never say never remember the Patriots in 2001 folks nobody expected them to be there agaisnt the Rams in the Bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

I'm a Giants fan and I don't think there's any chance of them winning the Super Bowl. They'll be lucky to get past the Cowboys tonight.

They are playing well at the moment and are coming off the back of a few games where they've played well but the secondary is just not good enough to contain the Cowboys offence. I think the Giants offence will put points on the board too but reckon the Cowboys will take it in a shootout

1 step closer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

They won't do it. Sorry. They won't even get past the Packers.

Take for example the closing few minutes of the game, it's 3rd and 5 and Eli is under pressure, one first down and they Giants practically close out the game - Eli tries to scramble and gets sacked.

Take a look at Brett Favre against the Hawks, its 3rd down Favre is under pressure, scrambles about and while falling over underarms it to Donald Lee who gets a first down.

There is a huge difference in the two QB's leading those two teams and Eli Manning just does not have what it takes to take down Brett Favre and the Packers.

And I for one cannot wait for Favre v Brady in two weeks time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wack1

your not mad, the momentum is with us!!
    if we get there the Pats will be in for a tough game after wk 16's performance nearly beat them

Looks like I was wrong in my earlier post.....thankfully!!

Eli won't be the one bringing down Favre, it'll be Osi, Strahan and Co that will take care of that!

Hardly... the Packer's oline is well above average and Favre works well with them, he will pick apart your secondary.

And the Packers defense... well I can see Bigby having another monster game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

wack1 wrote: »
    your not mad, the momentum is with us

Momentum can be stopped; consistently good football is much more difficult to stop. Long range weather forecast has the temp in the low single digits fahrenheit, -15 or so. The Giants might put up a better fight than Seattle, but I don't expect it to be much closer than the week 2 game.

I hope everyone rights us off again this week so we can prove people wrong once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

All aboard, lets go for 10 in a row on the road :cool:

The Cowboys O-Line is above average too and were the reason Romo had such a good season. But they buckled last night after consistent pressure from the Giants D-Line. I reckon they'll get some good pressure on Favre too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Trampas wrote: »
    Eli is not good enough simple as that

Hes not playing to bad at the moment he's spent his entire career living in his dads and brothers shadows thats alot of presaure on him he's starting to come in to his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I thought the offensive plays the Giants were running in the latter part of the 4th Quarter were terrible! It was like they wanted to kepp giving dallas another crack at it.

Don't get me wrong, there defence was immense, and could be what gets them to a Super Bowl, but with offensive calls like that, they were very lucky not to get punished by what has been, for most of the season, and excellent Dallas offence.

If such gifts are presented to Farve, I see NY getting punished.

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    Hes not playing to bad at the moment he's spent his entire career living in his dads and brothers shadows thats alot of presaure on him he's starting to come in to his own.

Yeah, I did feel bad for him in a way. Watching the post game interview he had - after just winning a play off game - the reporter asked him a question about Peyton Manning not winning. Completely different game luv, ask him about his own team and his own playoffs.

Though the sad fact is, unless he somehow pulls off miracles and outperforms Peyton.. he will always be known as Peyton Mannings little brother, and that can't do his confidence much good!

I just don't think Eli has what it takes in him to take down the Packers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Giants for the Superbowl? Can't really see it myself, too many injuries and Eli just ain't good enough. Green Bay will have to much in the tank for them. especially in Lambeau.

The real question is will Vince Lombardi be coming back to his rightful home?:D

Ross is expected to play sunday. there's also possibility of Docker & Madison playing so things could be different come sunday

Sweet Jebus! I should have put money on them!!!!

GO GIANTS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, it's surprising alright... And based on how the week 17 game against the Patriots was, it should be a decent superbowl...

Don't think even the most die-hard Giants fans would've predicted at the beginning of the season that the Giants would make the Super Bowl!!

They've defied the odds to get this far..who's to say they won't keep defying the odds......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

The Eli I saw in November in the flesh against the Vikings (with payton in the crowd) is not the Eli that has been playing post season.

Either way win or not this will be a brill super bowl!

cya all in the woolshed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Nooooooo Packers, noooooooo........ I was hoping for a Green Bay / New England final

Advertisement