Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC Broadband Settings?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I set my uncle up with a G3 iMac there last year and now he''s got broadband installed. Only problem is the engineer that came out to set him up "only ever saw 2 Macs in his life" so couldnt "run the installation CD" to set him up.
    I'm sure there's no need for that and all you need to do is type in a couple of settings in System Prefs.
    Thing is I'm studying in the UK and my uncle is not computer literate at all and there's nobody else who can help him.
    Can anyone give me the settings for TCP/IP and PPoE that he needs please?
    I'm sure they'll have given him a username & password.
    Many thanks in advance
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Turn off the NTL broadband modem for about 10 minutes, plug an ethernet cable between the modem and the mac, turn the modem back on and then power up the mac. Once the mac gets an IP address off the modem it should be fine.

NTL broadband works over the cable network, it doesn't use PPPoE nor do they (NTL) give customers usernames and password, unlike DSL broadband which requires both of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Nice one. Thanks Kensingon!
    I'll get him to give that a go. I was also told to make sure he has TCP/IP set to DHCP.
    THis board is far better than contacting NTL tech support!
    R

Advertisement