Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

warranty and the dealer

Options
  • 11-01-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

can someone explain to me why people here are so hung up on the "warranty" they get from a dealer?

Am I the only person who thinks the money I save by buying private could pay for what might go wrong if it did go wrong ? Most dealers will only give 3-6 months anyway and on it generally covers very little.

Do most people realize that you can buy a warranty from an independant company for €300 odd that covers just as much as the dealer one?

I for one think a reasonably recent car is better bought private with a full inspection carried out, and if your still unsure buy a warrenty from the indie company!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Couldn't agree more. I have an Audi A4 for sale ATM. ( A4 2003 1.9TDi 130bhp black 71k miles loaded with extras, NCT, new timing belt & tyres €17995 plug, plug). It's getting plenty of hits on Carzone and Adverts.ie but I spoke to a couple of dealers today and they reckon it might be slow to sell because people want the warranty from a dealer. I even offered it to one of them a few bob below this price for a quick sale. If this is not shameless advertising then what is (Seriously though, there is a bargain here for any interested boardsie. I have a replacement bought and can't sit on this car for too long so I can drop quite a bit from the €17995 asking price AND this car is both immaculate and mechanically solid)...Besides you know where to find me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd tend to agree. But it depends on the buyer. Some like the comfort of a warranty, others would prefer to save a few quid and take the chance.

I've often sold ex-rentals and ex-fleet cars to mates. Typically they saved anywhere between €2,000 and €4,000 when compared to the average Carzone asking prices. My advice to them was to put at least €1,000 of what they saved away for a year. If something went wrong then they had the money to pay for repairs. If nothing went wrong then they had tax and insurance for the following year. None of my mates ever had any problems - just as well because none ever took my advice - they just spent the money saved!

Advertisement