Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you fail a module and do it while doing 2nd year

• 11-01-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

this debate came up recently, if you fail a module in 1st year can you repeat that module in 2nd year and still do 2nd year stuff on the side,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

this debate came up recently, if you fail a module in 1st year can you repeat that module in 2nd year and still do 2nd year stuff on the side,

If you are in 2nd year, I don't think you should be doing 2nd year stuff "on the side". :p

Back on topic. Depends on the module. If it is a requirement for other modules in 2nd year you may have to repeat the year. If not, then maybe not. Talk to the course coordinator and/or department head and see what can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

You mean carry a module into 2nd year from 1st year?

If so id say there is only a hand full of modules that you can carry into 2nd year.

But all I can tell you is that you CANNOT carry a module into the next year in CSSE. I asked the same question last year when I was doing repeats.

Anyway you if you fail an exam you can always repeat it in August and even if you fail again you can always pass by compensation.

About 7/10 students fail at least one module and just pass by compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

eamoss wrote: »
    But all I can tell you is that you CANNOT carry a module into the next year in CSSE. I asked the same question last year when I was doing repeats.

This is definitely right, otherwise 4th CSSE would have a few more people in this year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cheers, but i lose a bet now :( ,

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Hey, I would say go to the academic advisery office in the arts block, they are really helpful. I asked this last year during repeats and no you cant carry on the next year. If you have failed go to office and they will try every loophole to get you to pass such as compensation etc. I managed to pass a 1st even after some really crap results. you can sometimes use marks you get in some other subjects to boost your marks to pass. I failed french but due to good results in my other options I passed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement