Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNKNOWN - prints in the snow 04/01/08

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Fox??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

It may be a easy question for someone familiar with animal footprints to answer.

Can anyone help me identify what made these footprints?
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/29/1304771/DSC01934.JPG

Thanks for your help.
    Richard
    Just from a quick look at the photo...I'm pretty sure it's a young badger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

KIVES wrote: »
    Just from a quick look at the photo...I'm pretty sure it's a young badger

NO
    I reckon it's a rat on a pogo stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

cant make em out from that angle....rat on pogo stick is all i can say,have u a pic directly over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

The hubby reckons it could have been a bald eagle, strange as they don't even live in Ireland,einstein or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could it have been a cat? They look like they were cautiously made.............

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

NO
    I reckon it's a rat on a pogo stick.

Jeez did I get a giggle out of that one:D:D:D

I think it has to be some kind of bird as the tracks are single file and straight in front of one another (a four legged animal would leave double tracks like this o o and not o if you see what I mean.

But no claw marks so I haven't a clue..... a small yetti:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Was the picture taken near water? Could be a heron?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The snow has melted around those tracks a bit, making them seem a little bigger. But my guess is that it was two legged, looks wrong for anything with four legs.

The person who said a heron could be very close to the mark imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Kess73 wrote: »
    The snow has melted around those tracks a bit, making them seem a little bigger. But my guess is that it was two legged, looks wrong for anything with four legs.

The opposite could have happened too, maybe it was a human footprint that shrunk in the melting snow, I wouldn't worry about it though,these things happen all the time, I'm sure whatever it was, human or animal, was walking with no ill intent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Kess73 wrote: »

Foxes have a strange gait though which leaves the paws close together when walking, giving an impression that a biped animal left the marks. I have seen this and followed the tracks. That's why I thought fox right off. I may be well off the mark though... I usually am!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Herons leave distict "long toed" imprints in mud, I'm sure it would be the same in snow.

The OP doesn't say where the tracks were found. If it was by a road I would guess fox or cat. Cats rear paws fit exactly into the mark left by the front paw, or so I am led to believe by Simon King. Badgers are very low on the ground and move quite quickly, they have short stubby legs and would make more of a scrape in the snow as they moved I would think.

Advertisement