Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Weather Presenters of the past

Options
  • 11-01-2008 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Was in conversation the other day, and the odd subject of long gone from our screens weather presenters on RTE came up.

I can remember when the presenter had a white pointer stick and 2 manually drawn charts to use a reference to present the weather

Does anyone remember Paddy McHugh and Michael Gilligan for instance? I guess they are long since retired now.

And there were others, some now only on the radio like Micheal Cleary and Gerry Scully.

I'm trying to remember some more - and who was the first female weather presenter on RTE ?:)

Thoughts and rememberances please :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Evelyn Cusack was the first, or Jean Byrne...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dr Aidan McNulty. I remember him around the 1982 January snowstorm but he fizzled himself out of presenting in the early '90s after doing the Live at 3 with Derek Davis saying about heavy snow just off the coast moving into the Dublin area soon.

And soon it was,it pelted down in a blizzard on the thursday 7th feb 91, and for sat 9th was just brillo with 6 inches in calm conditions ,the flakes where huge and the size of saurcers.He kinda pettered out after that in the following years.

His mate was my Maths and Science teacher in early seconday school, and got i to meet Aidan a few times. Nice bloke but i think he is a director in the met today.?

Evelyn Cusak is there a long while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Yeah I met Michael Cleary once in a nightclub in Tuam, the town he is from.
    A really quite, gentle fella. Can't say I remember the forecaster's mentioned above. One of the classic statements I remember is from Jean Byrne when she was doing a forecast on TV a few years ago. She was forecasing heavy, thundery showers and came out with this gem "hopefully they will stay in the west".

I never quite got over that...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Pretty sure Evelyn was the first lady presenter. The only one I remember going back is Dr. Nulty, he and, of course, Gerard Fleming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dr Aidan McNulty, i always associated him with good forecasts- anytime we had a decent amount of snow he was the bearer of the good news!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

squonk wrote: »
    Pretty sure Evelyn was the first lady presenter. The only one I remember going back is Dr. Nulty, he and, of course, Gerard Fleming.

Was Joan Blackburn not the first ?

I also seem to recall a tall giggley woman.

I went to college many many years ago with Vincent O'Shea,he was on TV for a couple of years but now only does radio.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Can anyone remember the guy who's hair was way up on his head, I think he was with RTE in the 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Vincent O'Shea still presents the weather on TV. He is good to explain the sability of the atmosphere especially when thunder is forecasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

107134.JPG

Caption Meteorologist Evelyn Murphy (1983) Personalities/Groups Murphy, Evelyn
    Description Meteorologist Evelyn Murphy works on a weather chart in Met Éireann's headquarters in Glasnevin, Dublin, in June 1983. A still from this shoot was published in a very brief article in the RTÉ Guide of 17 June 1983. Evelyn Murphy was the first woman to forecast the weather on RTÉ Television.
    Met Éireann is the Irish National Meteorological Service. Collection RTÉ Guide Photographer Holmes, Eve Date of photograph 01/Jun/1983

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Yeah I met Michael Cleary once in a nightclub in Tuam, the town he is from.
    A really quite, gentle fella. Can't say I remember the forecaster's mentioned above. One of the classic statements I remember is from Jean Byrne when she was doing a forecast on TV a few years ago. She was forecasing heavy, thundery showers and came out with this gem "hopefully they will stay in the west".

I never quite got over that...:)

My old persona! :D. Might start using it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Was Joan Blackburn not the first ?

I also seem to recall a tall giggley woman.

I went to college many many years ago with Vincent O'Shea,he was on TV for a couple of years but now only does radio.

Tall giggly woman must have been the aforementioned Evelyn Murphy - ;) from what I remember.

I remember that back before 1988, they used to have manual charts and use a stick to show the synoptics. 2 charts, one for current and one for the next day. And I can only remember one forecast a day on RTE - after the nine o clock news...though I could be wrong about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I remember John Doyle from the 80s. He gave me a tour of the Glasnevin Headquarters after school one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is Paddy McHugh still alive? Was John Doyle the genial- looking guy with glasses? also what happened to Jerry Scully? so many questions:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes I remember them all too John Doyle, Evelyn Murphy.
    She was quite young whatever happened her and yes she was very giggly.
    It looks like winking Ger Fleming has disappeared too of late.
    Michael Cleary was/is also a great forecaster, in fact the best of them are confined to radio - why i dunno?
    As for Aiden Nulty, he was the best ever and it's a shame that he doesn't get tv coverage.

By the way I remember the white stick too, they were the days

A very young Jean Byrne in 1981

107211.JPG

Meteorologist Jean Byrne (1981), Jean
    Description Jean Byrne, a Meteorological Officer with Met Éireann, plotting weather changes on a map in Met Éireann's headquarters in Glasnevin, Dublin, in February 1981

Is Paddy McHugh still alive? Was John Doyle the genial- looking guy with glasses? also what happened to Jerry Scully? so many questions:pac:

I don't remember the McHugh or Doyle lads, but I do vaguely recall Gerry Scully presenting the weather. He was quite intense looking if I remember correctly, but he had a nice voice.

107214.jpg

Meteorologist Paddy McHugh (1986) Personalities/Groups McHugh, Paddy
    Description Former RTÉ weather forecaster and Senior Meteorologist with Met Éireann Paddy McHugh, preparing to deliver the forecast in RTÉ Television's Studio 3, in July 1986. He is standing in front of boards on which weather charts are displayed, holding a pointer in his hands. He is looking into a television camera which occupies the left foreground of shot

redsunset wrote: »
    107214.jpg

Meteorologist Paddy McHugh (1986) Personalities/Groups McHugh, Paddy
    Description Former RTÉ weather forecaster and Senior Meteorologist with Met Éireann Paddy McHugh, preparing to deliver the forecast in RTÉ Television's Studio 3, in July 1986. He is standing in front of boards on which weather charts are displayed, holding a pointer in his hands. He is looking into a television camera which occupies the left foreground of shot

I see the distinctive map of Ireland the met uses with temp balls and arrows was around in that day too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

redsunset wrote: »
    Meteorologist Jean Byrne (1981)

How old is Jean! :eek: All I'll say is she looks very well for her age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

DOCARCH wrote: »
    How old is Jean! :eek: All I'll say is she looks very well for her age!

Always assumed she was around the 50 mark, that 29 year old pic would make it about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

083_d8c0c5b6fdb4bdd1dd7907cf5fec20499e359fb6.jpg

I'd forgotten about the little TV screen ones.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

aaah brings back memories,

the map and the skinny stick, oh we were so simple back in those days

who was that culchie guy with the glasses and the sly smile back in those days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

fryup wrote: »
    aaah brings back memories,

the map and the skinny stick, oh we were so simple back in those days

who was that culchie guy with the glasses and the sly smile back in those days

I guess you mean John Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Evelyn Murphy was the first female TV Broadcast Meteorologist.

Gerry Fleming has become Head of Forecasting in Met Eireann and hence no longer in operational forecasting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jean Byrne on RTE Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

044_449542d959c4e771daf5c21e72769d6a030a2740.jpg

Forecasting a bad hair-do wasn't easy back then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Always assumed she was around the 50 mark, that 29 year old pic would make it about right.

Indeed! She does look very young in that photo - barely 18 or 19 and certainly not more than 20. The country shirt and dungarees are well - no indication of her later shift to a more fashionable style!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

...although on 2nd thoughts 1981 was the height of the Dexy midnight runners dirty dungarees brigade - no doubt she was too much of a lady for a bit of oul dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

ian_m wrote: »
    044_449542d959c4e771daf5c21e72769d6a030a2740.jpg

Forecasting a bad hair-do wasn't easy back then. :pac:

She was a bit of a fox in her day, I have to say

Advertisement