Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop dropping WiFi connection (only when in XP)

• 11-01-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi, my laptop keeps dropping connection to my wireless router periodically (every 2-3 minutes) when I'm using WinXP Home... I have Vista Business on it aswell as a dual-boot, and this works perfectly with no dropping of connection.. It's not a signal problem either as it maintains 'excellent' signal strength at all times..

It disconnected just as I went to hit submit just now.. typical..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like the wireless zero config problem. What's the version/service pack of XP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

What is the 'wireless zero config' problem, pray tell?

Its XP Home SP1... SP2 made me want to tear my hair out.. is it going to have to be a necessary evil?

Worth mentioning that it stays connected fine on XP on my colleges network! Bizzarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Go to your control panel > Network connections > Right click on the Wireless and select properties > Click the wireless tab and tick the box for windows to control your wireless connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

karmabass wrote: »
    What is the 'wireless zero config' problem, pray tell?

Its XP Home SP1... SP2 made me want to tear my hair out.. is it going to have to be a necessary evil?

Worth mentioning that it stays connected fine on XP on my colleges network! Bizzarre

Wireless zero config is windows xps own wireless control application. If your wireless card has its own utility you could try use that . If not sp2 may be necessary if the Zero config is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I saw something very similar lately with a customer. It drove me mad for a few hours...

He had a Dell Laptop with XP PRO SP1 which would connect to any wireless network fine, except the wireless in the office. It could see the signal, the signal quality was excellent, but it would just never connect.

So I installed Service Pack 2, all the subsequent security updates, downloaded the latest drivers and utility for the internal wireless card. Still would not connect to the wireless in the office.

Then we changed the router from broadcasting Wireless G only, to broadcasting Wireless B+G. It connected successfully within seconds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement