Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing SCART socket on DVD Recorder

• 12-01-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Ok, don't have the model number off the top of my head, but I've a Bush DVD recorder/VCR combi, and I mostly use the Component channel on my TV to view it. However, we recently moved the unit about and I think the DVD unit itself suffered from a knock at the rear.

I've noticed that when I watch/record with the player using the SCART channel on my Panasonic Viera TV, sound is not coming out of the right speaker of the TV whatsoever, and I tried playing a DVD i recorded off Sky+ in the DVD on my laptop, but no sound was recorded on the right channel either.

I tried jiggigling the SCART socket about, and you really have to have you hand forcing it in to get sound on the right channel, but this isn't possible to maintain quality.

I don't quite know how to repair it myself,Ipresume there's some damage to where the Pins connect. I tried numerous scart leads, but no luck. it's definitely a problem with the scart socket.

I have no warranty with the player, as I brought it on ebay about 18-24 months ago. Is there anyway I can replace the socket myself easily or should I get a professional to do it.

Any advice would be grately appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You could easily end up paying more than the machine is worth to have it repaired. All of the competent and reasonable repairers I used to know are now gone, there are probably a few left that would do it for a reasonable price if any other boardser knows one?

It sounds like the pin has been bent or pushed back. Replacing the whole scart socket wouldn't be necessary (or easy as all 22 pins are soldered) best thing is to see if you can fix it yourself.

Right Audio in is Pin 2, They are numbered on the connector and sometimes the sockets, see here:
    http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/data/pinout/scart.htm

Have a good look at the connector and see if it is obviously bent or pushed back, you should be able to bend it back with a small screwdriver or if it is pushed in open the case and push it back.

Advertisement