Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop won't start windows-Please help

• 12-01-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭

This has my head wrecked, my laptop won't start windows.

Last night, I went to the laptop and the there was an dialouge box that kept coming up. It comes up every now and again after certain updates. t says something to the effect of;
    "computer has been updated and needs to restart to take affect, do you want to update now"

I was in the middle of something so I declined,
    Wen I was ready I hit restart manually.
    The computer tried to boot up, but about halfway through, the windows load bar stopped and the blue error screen came.

Something to the effect of a problem was detected and windows has been stopped. If this is the first time then restart, if its is not the first time then disable anti-virus, defrag etc. Run dskchk /f
    It also mentions that it may be from a software or hardware update (I believe it is). But I have no idea how to run dskchk or disable anything if windows dosn't start.

also, i have the option to run safe mode and similar at the start but it has the same problem.

Any helps guys??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

hmm - Did you try running chkdsk?

If you have your Windows XP cd you can boot this and go into the Repair Console by pressing R and then perform actions in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

You could try the last known good configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Webmonkey wrote: »
    hmm - Did you try running chkdsk?

If you have your Windows XP cd you can boot this and go into the Repair Console by pressing R and then perform actions in there.
    How do I run chkdsk (sorry I wrote dskchk in the OP). Not sure where the XP disk is.
    randomer wrote: »
    You could try the last known good configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Sorry, when I said safe mode and similar doesn't ork last good was included, 5 options total none of them work

bump, help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Computer Health.

• Advertisement

When you enter safe mode - do you see the list of drivers loading?

Yeah, a load of them, I though it might be an updated driver issue, but unsure how to fix or even find out which one.
    The last driver on the list is mup.sys, i googled it and apparently its common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like an update has messed up the registry or a driver. this article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

If you have your files backed up a reinstall would probaby be the quickest way to sort it or you could reinstall xp over itself so as not to lose any of your data

What make and model is the lappy. Is there a recovery option at bootup?

I dont think there is a recovery option, where would I find it,
    its a 640m
    How would I reinstall XP over its self, I can't find my XP CD, could I use another one from a friend?

You could provided you know your Own product key and its for the same windows, IE XP Home or XP Pro.

Before installing XP over itself I would run chkdsk /p from the Recovery Console on the XP CD. You really need an XP CD before you do anything.

If this fail, I would try extracting Mup.sys from the XP Cd onto your hard drive as this file may have become currupt.

• Advertisement

It's a Dell so he will not need the key if he uses a Dell restore cd.

If you can get it to boot into safe mode command prompt you could try a restore as described in the microsoft article linked below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Webmonkey wrote: »
    If this fail, I would try extracting Mup.sys from the XP Cd onto your hard drive as this file may have become currupt.
    I'm pretty sure that mup.sys isn't the problem, it just appears like that as its the last one to load into the list, its always the last afaik.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    It's a Dell so he will not need the key if he uses a Dell restore cd.

If you can get it to boot into safe mode command prompt you could try a restore as described in the microsoft article linked below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
    As I said I can't get into safe mood,

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that mup.sys isn't the problem, it just appears like that as its the last one to load into the list, its always the last afaik.

I came across a thread yesterday and a lot of people were having simlar problems and replaced this file and that done the trick. Worth the try anyways.
    Either way you are going to have to get hold of a XP CD to do anything unless you can boot off the recovery partition but I would imagine this done through editing the bootcfg file using the Recovery console.

Mellor wrote: »

You could be right there, the agp drivers are loaded after mup.sys and I would say thats where the problem lies.

Just to clarify, you can not get into safe mode command prompt {which is a different option to safe mode} . If so you will need a xp cd/

I have a 98 CD and a vista CD, but can't find XP, typical.
    can't get into anything really.

Advertisement