Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow numberplates (and no - not on a sub)

Options
  • 12-01-2008 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a thread here in relation to yellow number plates on the back of cars.

Got me thinking about it. Anyone know what the legal position is in relation to this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

muffler wrote: »
    Anyone know what the legal position is in relation to this?
    Illegal in ROI in most post 1990 vehicles.

I saw a muppet this morning with yellow front plates (Dublin reg) and normal legal rear ones! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Strange law really as all the cars in N.I. have yellow plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Not strange if the car in question is Northern-registered as they follow the general UK laws which call for blk/wht plates on the front and blk/yel on the rear. Here in the Republic, our laws call for blk/wht plates fromnt and rear - any other colours on a regular series plate is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How is that strange? It's a different country (de facto).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How is that strange? It's a different country (de facto).

Moved to Politics.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

I was reading a similar post on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215438&highlight=Yellow+numberplates
    Here is what i posted as what i thought was the reason:
    Any time i saw these yellow plates i assumed that the car owner was british and proud of it. And that using a british rear numberplate, on a car that probably was normally used in the republic, and probably near the border was their weird way of saying this. But i later noticed that it is usually the boy racer type cars that have these plates fitted. So i now think that both these two reasons are probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

About 15 years ago my father used to do a lot of business up north in "certain areas" where southern Irish people we not very welcome. He had UK style plates (right down to the font and sizing) with Irish numbers. They wouldn't fool anyone who looked at them properly, but didn't stand out, which saved him a few (but not all) smashed windows and knifed tyres.

Advertisement