Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does your boards name mean

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I am a descendant of Timur The Lame, in turn a descendant of Genghis Khan. One of the hundreds of women he impregnated through various rapin' and pillagin' trips across Eurasia, Helena Kejisifar, gave birth to Heni Kejisifar in 1375. He was very fond of mathematics and invented an early form of calculus on an abacus unlike his brother, Khina, who aspired to be a military leader but ended up working a cotton farm for the rest of his life. Heni crosses the continent in search of like-minded mathematicians and scholars, and settled in what is modern day Normandy. Here he settled, forgot about whatever heritage he had, and started a family with a local French-Flanderan woman called Wallouis. However, a last-ditch Anglo-Norman raid ended up in the death of both Heni and Wallouis (his calculus notes were buried in earth and found by a holiday-goer named Isaac Newton who used them as his own). Despite the raiders being pushed back to sea, one of the raiders, John Ington, took Heni's two sons and daughter to raise as his own, as he felt guilty about being partly responsible for making them orphans.

Other families looked down on John and his wife, Emily, for adopting three orphans and regarded them in the same light as bastard children, but Emily had 'failed to produce any children for John'. In 1435, Pierre, the eldest son, inherited the 7-hectare plot of land that the family had cultivated for generations and changed his name to reflect his biological parents. Taking The first half of his old surname, he combined it with his new name to become Pierre Kejisington. His relatively poor grasp of the traditional Cornish language and the as-of-yet-not-fully-understood Norman English meant that his name eventually became pronounced Cessington.

After some carefully planned inter-marrying of Pierre's sons and neighbouring farmers' daughters over the course of 12 generations, his heirs eventually considered themselves to have enough land and resources to 'rule all of England'. However, the current heir to the land, Henry, decided to form an army of peasants who worked his lands to conquer a whole corner of England. His attempts failed as he never realised that an untrained army of 500 peasants armed with pointy sticks could never possibly make a dent on the existing Dukes personal guard of 100 knights and army of 3000 swordsmen. After the bloody defeat of 1651, somewhere near some random castle of wherever, Henry fled to Ireland, but went the wrong way and ended up seeking refuge in what is now Mayo. Here, he realised he would be extremely unwelcome unless he was Irish, so coined a well-known term after accidentally releasing wind which sounded like a cavernous "begorrah", followed by "jaysus". He also changed his name to be Patrick Lynch, as Henry Cessington was too English-sounding.

He settled and worked as a local farm-help, and for the next three generations, the first son was always named Patrick Lynch. In 1715, the last of this line of Patrick Lynches was born. However, upon rape allegations, he migrated to Bilbao, Spain and then on to Argentina, where he settled, started a family, and future generations eventually resulted in the birth of Che Guevara. However, the Mayo woman who had accused Patrick of rape gave birth to a young Michael. He was deemed a bastard child and eventually ran away from home at the age of 14, taking with him the diaries of his father. He decided to adopt the name 'Lynch' and settled down and married in Galway. Here he had 2 sons and 4 daughters, whom he shared his own father's diaries. One of the sons, who refused to marry and had no interest in the opposite sex, eventually moved to London and set up an amusement park, naming it after his English ancestors, and adding in a 'h' to soften the pronunciation. The other son continued to work a normal working life and so did all subsequent generations.

So here I am, descendant of a fair share of great historic figures and equally unfair share of blatantly idiotic figures. I decided to name myself after the oldest one which sounds somewhat normal, as LordKejisifar didn't sound as good at the time of setting up a boards.ie account.

...not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I am a descendant of Timur The Lame, in turn a descendant of Genghis Khan. One of the hundreds of women he impregnated through various rapin' and pillagin' trips across Eurasia, Helena Kejisifar, gave birth to Heni Kejisifar in 1375. He was very fond of mathematics and invented an early form of calculus on an abacus unlike his brother, Khina, who aspired to be a military leader but ended up working a cotton farm for the rest of his life. Heni crosses the continent in search of like-minded mathematicians and scholars, and settled in what is modern day Normandy. Here he settled, forgot about whatever heritage he had, and started a family with a local French-Flanderan woman called Wallouis. However, a last-ditch Anglo-Norman raid ended up in the death of both Heni and Wallouis (his calculus notes were buried in earth and found by a holiday-goer named Isaac Newton who used them as his own). Despite the raiders being pushed back to sea, one of the raiders, John Ington, took Heni's two sons and daughter to raise as his own, as he felt guilty about being partly responsible for making them orphans.

Other families looked down on John and his wife, Emily, for adopting three orphans and regarded them in the same light as bastard children, but Emily had 'failed to produce any children for John'. In 1435, Pierre, the eldest son, inherited the 7-hectare plot of land that the family had cultivated for generations and changed his name to reflect his biological parents. Taking The first half of his old surname, he combined it with his new name to become Pierre Kejisington. His relatively poor grasp of the traditional Cornish language and the as-of-yet-not-fully-understood Norman English meant that his name eventually became pronounced Cessington.

After some carefully planned inter-marrying of Pierre's sons and neighbouring farmers' daughters over the course of 12 generations, his heirs eventually considered themselves to have enough land and resources to 'rule all of England'. However, the current heir to the land, Henry, decided to form an army of peasants who worked his lands to conquer a whole corner of England. His attempts failed as he never realised that an untrained army of 500 peasants armed with pointy sticks could never possibly make a dent on the existing Dukes personal guard of 100 knights and army of 3000 swordsmen. After the bloody defeat of 1651, somewhere near some random castle of wherever, Henry fled to Ireland, but went the wrong way and ended up seeking refuge in what is now Mayo. Here, he realised he would be extremely unwelcome unless he was Irish, so coined a well-known term after accidentally releasing wind which sounded like a cavernous "begorrah", followed by "jaysus". He also changed his name to be Patrick Lynch, as Henry Cessington was too English-sounding.

He settled and worked as a local farm-help, and for the next three generations, the first son was always named Patrick Lynch. In 1715, the last of this line of Patrick Lynches was born. However, upon rape allegations, he migrated to Bilbao, Spain and then on to Argentina, where he settled, started a family, and future generations eventually resulted in the birth of Che Guevara. However, the Mayo woman who had accused Patrick of rape gave birth to a young Michael. He was deemed a bastard child and eventually ran away from home at the age of 14, taking with him the diaries of his father. He decided to adopt the name 'Lynch' and settled down and married in Galway. Here he had 2 sons and 4 daughters, whom he shared his own father's diaries. One of the sons, who refused to marry and had no interest in the opposite sex, eventually moved to London and set up an amusement park, naming it after his English ancestors, and adding in a 'h' to soften the pronunciation. The other son continued to work a normal working life and so did all subsequent generations.

So here I am, descendant of a fair share of great historic figures and equally unfair share of blatantly idiotic figures. I decided to name myself after the oldest one which sounds somewhat normal, as LordKejisifar didn't sound as good at the time of setting up a boards.ie account.

...not

ummmmm.....mine is just my Inital and the year I was born!! how boring is that in comparison!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

MLE wrote: »
    Its my name spelt phonetically.

Damn, I always thought you just liked the Maximum Likelihood Estimator. Way more interesting than Ordinary Least Squares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

"The one from abroad"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My name (Siofra) means fairy in english and i used to have crazy bushy hair when i was younger.
    Emmm ... for ages (before I figured out you were a woman) I presumed your nick meant something else entirely, tbh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Thaedydal wrote: »
    More like Thay id dal

It still seems like that "Thaedydal" would be pronounced "They died all" it's just how it looks in my head or maybe "they Idol"? which "Thay id dal" would sound to me. sozz just how I see words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

connundrum wrote: »
    You're actually Richard Carpenter? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carpenters

I was setting up an account, sitting in an internet cafe and it hit me - I was in a bit of a conundrum as to what my username should be.

So I took that and added a bit of my own magic to it, and came up with connundrum. Classic.

Ah so you weren't watching Countdown while browsing then? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

I have a tattoo on my lower back..... I like nature, i love Ireland and my name begins with Rose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

DaBreno wrote: »
    A nickname given to me by an old friend many moons ago.

My name doesnt mean anything, i just choose a video game characters last name and put an x after it, im sure you know which game im talking about from the "many moons ago" Cutter Slade; Outcast

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

used it since about 93.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

although, having googled wwman, it seems im yo9unger than i thought i was, looking for love on the internet, and living in hongkong. Its always nice to see yourself get out and about :)

http://www.okcupid.com/profile?u=WWMan

aparently I also owned a cortina at one stage.

http://buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?showuser=3317

hmmmm, seems like lots of people have nicked my nick. ****.

lol. apparently I am also looking for interacial dating in California!

http://www.afroromance.com/wwman

and I grow weed.

http://www.hg420.com/gallery/member.php?uid=6793

WOW!

what a secret Life I lead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

royal marine commando's.....

was too long.. so royalmarinecomm it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

King Nothing is the name of a Metallica song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

its a name I use it it works
    fuctionality

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I never planed on staying, I picked the first thing that poped into my head. Originally I just came for some technical help on a computer forum but stayed for the cheese. It's a kind of stupid name but it's growing on me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

A semi-literal (and semi-literate) translation of my name as gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

I am Christ and I am crazy. Hence the name Dudess, sorry, I mean Crazy Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gillybeans

Mines a childhood name. My name is Gillian and they called my Gillybeans ( a variation of Jellybeans)

eh, got the nickname Kag from 1st year in secondary school. I was a bit of a Celtic fan back then and they were est in 1888. I dont really follow them any more but most of my online names since them have been Kag1888 so I kept it. Yada yada yada

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ScumLord wrote: »
    I never planed on staying, I picked the first thing that poped into my head. Originally I just came for some technical help on a computer forum but stayed for the cheese. It's a kind of stupid name but it's growing on me now.

Pretty much the same reasoning, I just signed up to get some tech help and ending up staying. I usually use leimrod but decided to use the name L31mr0d for a change.

Its an amalgamation of my real first name and Nimrod, the name of the Greenday Album I was listening to at the time and a character that was also in the animated series of the X-Men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Mine's basically my nickname - Dee - short for Deirdre. There were already some Dee's so I'm THE Dee.

I joined in 2001 I think, how young I was...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I am DT Jesus.

Got any change?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I'm a Major Max:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

It's pronounced Beau-del-ear and it's the name of my pussy***

***cat that is :D which I got from a cartoon I use to watch years ago called Phantom 2040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Nickname I got when I was a kid.

Was always asking questions so my dad started calling me dinter as in short for didn't there? Grew from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Um...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Character in Greek mythology, and also the name of a pretty kick ass song by Perfect Circle :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

My nickname is Barney, and I like to splash my bodily fluids all around the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

orestes wrote: »
    Character in Greek mythology, and also the name of a pretty kick ass song by Perfect Circle :cool:

Do they have a song of really dark music and a fella going "ooooh" on it over and over again like a soft chant. I heard it years ago, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mine means I was too lazy too think of one. Sums me up nicely I think.

Advertisement