Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Maynooth

• 12-01-2008 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Does anyone make this journey? How is it? I would never think of leaving home, so I guess it would be the bus there, or train. I'm going next year(perhaps), but seeing as I live like 20 minutes from UCD it would be much better going there. By the way I'm doing a links course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone make this journey? How is it? I would never think of leaving home, so I guess it would be the bus there, or train. I'm going next year(perhaps), but seeing as I live like 20 minutes from UCD it would be much better going there. By the way I'm doing a links course.

I use the Maynooth to City Center train but I only go from Clonsilla. Its probably about 35-40 mins from city to Maynooth. The trains arent all that regular in offpeak times unfortunately and are packed in the morning.

You can check the timtable on www.irishrail.ie

[edit] just checked, its 42 mins from Connolly to Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm coming from Killiney. I still would have to go on two trains though right?

Do you find it tough on time, as in can you do other things outside of college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

I was commuting for a few weeks from Dublin to Maynooth. It really was very annoying! I had to get 2 trains, I was always wrecked and falling asleep in lectures, and couldn't have the same social life as my friends so I ended up moving up and now i'm loving the whole college thing! I think it depends on the type of person you are though.. I have a friend in her 3rd year now who's been commuting (2 trains aswell) since first year, and doesn't mind at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't even like commuting from Leixlip. I want to live in Rye Hall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

My commute takes about 1 hour so it's not that bad.

I know someone who's friend lived in Leixlip and got an apartment on campus, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did it for a short time but moved down because it was a serious pain in the ass. Had to get a Luas into town from Dundrum, then go to the train station and get a train in from there. Took 1.5-2hours depending on how long I was waiting around for trains. Also bear in mind that the train that got you in on time for 9am is now gone so you'll either be late or far too early for any 9am lectures you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tusky wrote: »
    I use the Maynooth to City Center train but I only go from Clonsilla. Its probably about 35-40 mins from city to Maynooth. The trains arent all that regular in offpeak times unfortunately and are packed in the morning.

You can check the timtable on www.irishrail.ie

[edit] just checked, its 42 mins from Connolly to Maynooth.

Ha, I must see you at the station the odd time then.

It's not too bad of a commute but it can be a long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

I live in maynooth but go in and out to town a fair bit. I dont know if killiney is anywhere near blackrock? If it is your talking about a journey of around 1 hour 10mins.make sure you get the train to maynooth where ever it starts from i.e could be pearse or connolly, because you do not want to be on this train when it is full, its a complete nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

If there's a train to Longford in the morning that starts around Sandyford or somewhere and goes to Maynooth (I know the one in the evening does so dunno about morning time)

There are no train stations in Sandyford!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Sandymount? One of them places anyway on the southside anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Cheers everyone. So in conclusion would you say

1. Do everything in your power to get into UCD...

or

2.The Commute will be alright. To be honest I only go to college in Dun Laoghaire at the moment, and the bus takes ages, and I'm only driving time about 15 minutes away. Can't wait for the weather to get better, to start cycling.

If I have a 9 am class I won't go in(well most times anyway, unless needs be)

Only you can make the decision, some people are able for and some people aren't.
    If I have a 9 am class I won't go in(well most times anyway, unless needs be)

Without coming across as hostile, that is a really bad attitude to have. Now I am no angel and didn't go to all my 9am lectures across four years of college but if you're going in with that frame of mind then you have to ask yourself how much do you really want to go to college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Hahaha, wonder why?!

Hahaha, wonder why?!

Be nice, I cook and clean ! Sorta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Be nice, I cook and clean ! Sorta.

Yeah but not often!I mean I asked you to clean some mugs today...and when I got back you'd cleaned like 5 mugs and a teaspoon!!!I mean seriously now!!

I had to make a 1pm deadline! Which I missed!

Right I'll come up and clean before work tomorrow. Maybe.

Note to everyone else: Do not befriend this boy, he bans you from talking to random weirdos and makes you clean mugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

John wrote: »
    Only you can make the decision, some people are able for and some people aren't.

Without coming across as hostile, that is a really bad attitude to have. Now I am no angel and didn't go to all my 9am lectures across four years of college but if you're going in with that frame of mind then you have to ask yourself how much do you really want to go to college?

Hmmm....I see what your saying and in all honesty I never wanted to go to college as such.I never got excited at the prospect of ''I'd love to learn more about that subject'', despite wanting to, oh so much.However, if things aren't working out for you,pathwise in life, then surely it's better to continue to improve on your education so that you may have more options later, incase I'm suddenly inspired by some interest.I mean thats exactly what I've been doing, I wasn't going to convince myself that I liked something just because I've invested so much time in it like most people I know.Ironically though my course is only becoming slightly interesting now, so if I hadn't walked through the previous two years of depression, i wouldn't have been givin' the oppertunity to learn something interesting.
    It's really **** that I had to do that though,that you have to waste the valuable years of your life, bored to depression, just to be taken seriously enough, to be allowed to actually learn.

Advertisement