Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

Options
  • 12-01-2008 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Im with Eircom and have a 2mb connection.This problem has happened before a few months back and I just waited a few days and it went away, but I want to know hot to fix it.I have a router.Its a 2247NWG netopia.

Im not the most technical person so if you could help me out it would be great.

The internet keeps disconnecting every 10 or so minutes(red light appears on router) and then reconnecting.I have tried turning if off and then back on but this does not work.Sometimes it doesn't happen at all for over an hour, and then other times it just keeps doing it every 10 minutes.

Im wondering if it could be the following, but I don't have a clue.

The router over heating?(But its not that hot.)
    Hackers?
    Some problem with the router?(it happened a few months ago, so I don't think it is this.)
    The weather?
    Eircom's fault?

These are the only things I can have a guess at, if you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dacookie wrote: »
    Im with Eircom and have a 2mb connection.This problem has happened before a few months back and I just waited a few days and it went away, but I want to know hot to fix it.I have a router.Its a 2247NWG netopia.

Im not the most technical person so if you could help me out it would be great.

The internet keeps disconnecting every 10 or so minutes(red light appears on router) and then reconnecting.I have tried turning if off and then back on but this does not work.Sometimes it doesn't happen at all for over an hour, and then other times it just keeps doing it every 10 minutes.

Im wondering if it could be the following, but I don't have a clue.

The router over heating?(But its not that hot.)
    Hackers?
    Some problem with the router?(it happened a few months ago, so I don't think it is this.)
    The weather?
    Eircom's fault?

These are the only things I can have a guess at, if you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you, i'm on the same package and have the same router. In the last week my bb speeds have also decreased slightly.
    Every so often(it varies in intervals) a red light just appears on the router under the label "internet" and, of course, no pages on the net will load. I have to keep restarting the router to get it to fix itself.
    Also Im not sure if it's relevant but my line attenuation figures have increased from 46 to 50 in the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Ok are you using the fliters , (they look like small phone line extension), this can case the broad band to disconnect , as the first 3000Hz is user for the phone , and rest is for the broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Mach wrote: »
    Ok are you using the fliters , (they look like small phone line extension), this can case the broad band to disconnect , as the first 3000Hz is user for the phone , and rest is for the broadband

In my case I tried using it without filters but the red light still came up every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Mach wrote: »

I tried it with and without.Still same problem.

TBH I think its bad weather, this happened before when there was huge winds and rain, and it just started working again after awhile.

And come to think of it, out of around the 3 times its happened, its always happened around WInter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement