Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts in Limerick city?

• 12-01-2008 3:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm moving to Limerick city at the end of the month (near Mary I). Was just wondering of any martial arts clubs that are around? Is there still one across from Bobby Byrnes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Watch this space mate, Thaiboxing coming to Limerick City soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Ger Healy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There is BJJ run in Limerick too. I think Fergal posts here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tango13

Waza Kai Jiu Jitsu, 4 Perry St., near Tait Square / Baker's place.
    Sensei Mike Carroll teaches street style self defence including standing, ground and knife defence. I can personally recommend this one.
    If you're interested it's on tuesday and thursday at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I've trained with Mike Carroll, and am still training with Fergal Quinlan and Ger Healy (when I have the time) I would have no problem recommending any of them, but it all depends on what you want from your training. I would suggest that you take a couple of classes with each of them, see what suits you best. You have Mikes details, ger posted his above, and the bjj in ul was on mondays and wednesdays, but that may change this semester, once i find out i'll post here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

We had Ger Healy up teaching in the Galway MMA Summer Camp and he is a very good instructor and an all around nice bloke. A lot of good fighters starting to come out of his camp, so you could do a lot worse than drop down to Ger's place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hitman119

first off don't go to the kickboxing class up the road from the icon night club there not the best. Your best bet is to go to waza kai in pery square the trainer there in my Opinion is one of the best in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Watch this space mate, Thaiboxing coming to Limerick City soon!!

RedRaven, any update on this?

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

sombaht wrote: »
    RedRaven, any update on this?

Cheers,
    sombaht
    I think that Robert Ng is running a thai class out in Ger Healy's place. Not sure of the times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

I think that Robert Ng is running a thai class out in Ger Healy's place.
    Tim,
    Is that the Combat Sports Centre?

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement

Sorry to jump in, but Yeah, Combat Sports Centre is Ger's place. AFAIK, Roberts class is on Thursdays, not sure of the time. He also has a class in the school progects, across the road from bobby byrnes on o'colnnell ave. on Fri nights

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

I'd second both ,Ger Healy and Fergal Quinlan, Ger has been coaching MMA guys , with great results. And Fergal is one of the most technical Brazilian Jiujitsu guys I know.
    You've got some nice options there ,for Limerick ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hi Guys,looking to take up Martial Arts in the Limerick area?
    What would ye recommend to take up,did some kenpo when i was younger for a few years,
    Something both practical and good for fitness.

No idea about Kenpo but you won't go wrong with any of the places mentioned above.

hi jackncoke,
    You ca call out to our gym and take a test run for free.
    If you like what we do, we can have a chat afterwards and talk about what your goals are from training.
    There is a map on the gyms web page just click the link below

Best of luck with whatever you do

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Any Judo yet in Limerick or Clare?
    It's unbelievable¬!!

buck65 wrote: »
    Any Judo yet in Limerick or Clare?
    It's unbelievable¬!!

Not that im aware of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 munster100

luckily there are lots of very good clubs around limerick so no doubt you'll find something that suits you but definitely try a few of them out.

also take a look at

www.galliganstangsoodo.com

these lads have been teaching a long time in limerick and are well worth checking out. classes are very good & the range of different aspects of martial arts they cover is excellent

in the city they have classes wednesday & saturday in the school opposite bobby byrnes but the same group of instructors run classes all over limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

sorry lads but could ye just confirm where bjj training takes place in limerick and a possible contact no.? do ye stil know if bjj is done in the university?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yeah its on the the university (old sports building) on mondays and wednesdays. Cant remember the exact time think its 8

• Advertisement

Here is a link to bjj in limerick

http://www.munsterbjj.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Tango13 wrote: »
    Waza Kai Jiu Jitsu, 4 Perry St., near Tait Square / Baker's place.
    Sensei Mike Carroll teaches street style self defence including standing, ground and knife defence. I can personally recommend this one.
    If you're interested it's on tuesday and thursday at 8.

I started training here last week and love it. Very professional set up and very helpful. I have heard good things about Ger Healy too but unfortunately the training in the city centre suits me better.

just a heads up, we are planning on moving the gym http://www.combatsportscentre.com into limerick city very soon, will post more info as the time get closer. :)

thats excellent news ger ill be keeping an eye on this...

Ger Healy wrote: »
    just a heads up, we are planning on moving the gym http://www.combatsportscentre.com into limerick city very soon, will post more info as the time get closer. :)

Hoping to get down to you during the (3 month) holidays Ger, Fergal was talking to me about it. Will it be ready for Rodrigo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wendycat

Some time ago I went to karate inPoland (Kyokushin), unfortunately there is no such type in limerick. So I want to subscribe to something else. Does anyone know of a club which is good? And, of course not too expensive :D I don't like MMA, so I don't want to go on such thing. Thanke you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pat Forde

Hi Wendy, no there is no Kyokushin in Limerick but I run several Tang Soo Do classes around the city and county if you are interested. Tang Soo Do is a strong kicking art like Kyokushin but without low kicks, the forms are also very simular. I have had some Kyokushin black belt students in the passed who trained in my classes while working short-term in Ireland.
    If you are interested in trying a class my website is www.munstermartialarts.ie or you can call me on 087 2366866.

Pat.

wendycat wrote: »
    Some time ago I went to karate inPoland (Kyokushin), unfortunately there is no such type in limerick. So I want to subscribe to something else. Does anyone know of a club which is good? And, of course not too expensive :D I don't like MMA, so I don't want to go on such thing. Thanke you :)

You can go to the Combat Sports Centre and just do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I can't recommend the coach there (Fergal) highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wendycat

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    You can go to the Combat Sports Centre and just do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I can't recommend the coach there (Fergal) highly enough.
    Thanke you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Can second that! Hes' trained with some of the Best Jiujitsu Guys out there. And very technical guy. You can't go wrong training under Fergal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been training with Mike Carroll in the Waza Kai Ju Jitsu dojo since January, but unfortunately I'll probably have to take a long break from that from September on.

Can anybody recommend martial arts clubs in Limerick City, with training for adults on Monday and Wednesday evenings? I think most clubs train on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'll be busy those evenings after September. I'd hate to let the last 6 months of training go to waste just because I'm busy two nights of the week.

The combat sports centre has training every night, and an open mat on saturdays. click the link in my sig below

I've been training with Mike Carroll in the Waza Kai Ju Jitsu dojo since January, but unfortunately I'll probably have to take a long break from that from September on.

Can anybody recommend martial arts clubs in Limerick City, with training for adults on Monday and Wednesday evenings? I think most clubs train on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'll be busy those evenings after September. I'd hate to let the last 6 months of training go to waste just because I'm busy two nights of the week.

This dissapoints me...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cletus wrote: »
    The combat sports centre has training every night, and an open mat on saturdays. click the link in my sig below

I was reading that just before I posted earlier :) It says 10 week intro course has already been filled. Would that mean I'd have to wait until the next beginners' enrollment?

This dissapoints me...

It disappoints me too man, it really does.

I was reading that just before I posted earlier :) It says 10 week intro course has already been filled. Would that mean I'd have to wait until the next beginners' enrollment?

I dont think its a requirement that you do the beginners course, you can probably just go down some evening

• Advertisement

No you can call in and jump into the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IKnowNowt

Hey, the Combat Sports Centre website appears to be down. Anyone know if there is a new page elsewhere? Or can someone post details here, like membership fees, timetables, etc.? Cheers!

Oops, just noticed how old this thread is! Is CSC still open even??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

IKnowNowt wrote: »
    Oops, just noticed how old this thread is! Is CSC still open even??? :(
    They changed the website recently. http://www.limerickmma.com/ They've probably moved since this thread was made to a place in Windmill lane just off henry street. It's well worth popping in for a look and a class.

• Advertisement

Ah, cheers for that mate!

Demeyes wrote: »
    They changed the website recently. http://www.limerickmma.com/ They've probably moved since this thread was made to a place in Windmill lane just off henry street. It's well worth popping in for a look and a class.

Cheer Demeyes for the post.

IKnowNowt first sesson is free, so no comitment unless your happy with the gym.

Now no excuse!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Is there an upper age limit for new beginners Ger?

Sin City wrote: »
    Is there an upper age limit for new beginners Ger?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Oh and incase anyone is interested, there is no judo on in combat sports.
    I went there last night,after reading a facebook page and waited around. But alas no judo happens there any more.
    Happens out in childers road on mondays.

:mad:Sean

Oh and incase anyone is interested, there is no judo on in combat sports.
    I went there last night,after reading a facebook page and waited around. But alas no judo happens there any more.
    Happens out in childers road on mondays.

:mad:Sean

Hey Sean,

Where did you find this info?
    Judo has not been on our class schedule since Oct of last year
    Judo was taught in the gym by James Burke but James has decided to cancel the session. Im pretty sure James is coaching somewhere else.

Ger Healy wrote: »
    Cheer Demeyes for the post.

IKnowNowt first sesson is free, so no comitment unless your happy with the gym.

Now no excuse!!!!!

Thanks for the reply Ger, I'm keen to learn BJJ so I might pop in and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hobothemonkey

Really interested in taking up Bjj again could i get a link to a timetable/pricing of the CSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Really interested in taking up Bjj again could i get a link to a timetable/pricing of the CSS
    50 a month and thats 2 days MMA and 1 BBJ (Tuesday)

150 for the starter pack

http://www.limerickmma.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hobothemonkey

Sin City wrote: »
    50 a month and thats 2 days MMA and 1 BBJ (Tuesday)

150 for the starter pack

http://www.limerickmma.com/

Cheers dude

• Advertisement
Advertisement