Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables? Say it ain't so?

• 12-01-2008 5:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Just heard this news from the RTE website (I'm off foreign). Why the hell do we have to settle for him at this early stage? He should be the last man asked to do the job. He will still be there in 6 weeks, he's desperate, and getting no offers from anyone else. Can we not try and get someone half decent?

It's givens me a sick feeling, howe can this be? Ray it aint so? (some light humour to distract us briefly from the worst news we are going to hear all year.)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Could do a hell of a lot worse imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

News broke at the Irish Football Writer's Awards dinner on Friday night that the three-man selection panel of Ray Houghton, Don Givens and Don Howe were set to recommend that Terry Venables be offered the vacant Republic of Ireland position.

An FAI board meeting is scheduled for 22 January and Venables could be installed then, but the FAI are refusing to comment on the story.

The awards took place at the Radisson Hotel, at Golden Lane in Dublin, where Paul Doolin of Drogheda United won the manager of the year award.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yet another disaster from the FAI. I expected nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not a disaster yet, get behind the manager and see how he does before coming down on him ffs, not even got the job yet and people are already predicting how bad he will be before a ball is even kicked.

I think he could do a job anyway, at least he has won something, not like many of our previous managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

What has he won?

some cup 15 years or so ago?

Don Howe was never going to want another manager, probably same with givens and all Houghtons former liverpool teammates probably turned him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

La Liga, was more than 20 years ago mind, probably demeans it. Took palace up a couple of divisions back when they were proper crap. Won the (old money) 2nd division with QPR and took them up to a decent finish in the top flight, took them to an fa cup final too, can't remember who they lost to mind, may have been spurs. Not too bad as it goes. Has done more, both internationally and in league football than most of the managers we have had in years.

Would you not have a look around to supplement your knowledge before dismissing his achievements ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

"I think he could do a job anyway, at least he has won something, not like many of our previous managers."

hmmm you've added nothing, he won the FA cup which I was talking about, what else? I dont consider getting a team promoted an amazing achievement. Sure they may aswell interview every manager who got a team promoted then.

what has he done since euro 96? nothing

Everything he done worth while was years ago, we dont see Kenny Daglish being linked with top jobs in England because he won the league with Liverpool and Blackburn years and years ago.

So why not give a good reason why he's a good manager now, not because he done something 20 years ago.

From wikipedia, what he has done since euro 96

Definitely sounds like the right man for the job......

"Australia

Venables' next managerial role was with Australia. His side swept through the Oceania World Cup qualifiers but were beaten in a play-off by Iran on away goals, a match often referred to as the most tragic moment in Australian football history. With the team having drawn 1-1 in Tehran, Australia lead the second leg 2-0 at half time but the partisan crowd were left stunned when they conceded two late goals. Venables was later sacked.

Portsmouth (chairman)

At the same time, Venables acted as consultant and then chairman at Portsmouth. He purchased a 51% controlling interest in the club for £1 in February 1997 but left in controversial circumstances 11 months later. His company Vencorp received a £300,000 bonus in the summer of 1997 and he is thought to have been paid around £250,000 upon leaving the club, but he left them bottom of Division One.[3]

Crystal Palace

In March 1998, he returned to Crystal Palace who had just been taken over by Mark Goldberg, and then relegated from the Premier League, for a brief period, before leaving acrimoniously in January 1999, as the south-London club went into administration. His appointment had created a media frenzy, with Goldberg boasting that he was going to turn Palace into a European force within the next five years. But the dream was over within a year, and Palace narrowly avoided going out of business.

Middlesbrough (head coach)

Despite being linked with vacant managerial positions with Wales and Chelsea, Venables remained out of football for nearly two years until December 2000, when he was appointed head coach to assist Middlesbrough manager Bryan Robson in a bid to help the club avoid relegation. The club eventually finished 14th and survived. However, Venables felt Teesside was too remote a base for his media and business interests and he left at the same time as Robson in June 2001.

Leeds United

In July 2002, Venables joined Leeds United as manager. Despite Venables inheriting a stronger squad than the one that had qualified for the UEFA Champion's League two years earlier, by December of that year the side had crashed out of both the League Cup and the UEFA Cup and were languishing in the bottom half of the table. Venables had fallen out with the vital midfield pairing of Olivier Dacourt and David Batty, and this was widely blamed for this decline.[4][5] Further trauma was to follow in January 2003, when Jonathan Woodgate was sold to Newcastle United without Venables being informed, in an attempt to pay off mounting debts. With the club spiralling towards relegation, Venables was sacked in March 2003.[6]

England (assistant)

Venables was linked with Australian club Newcastle United Jets in 2005, but his commitments in the UK prevented him from taking up a role within the club, and his agent announced that he did not sign any deal with the club. At the end of the 2005–06 season, he was linked with a return to Middlesbrough,[7] but decided that at his age he would be unable to manage a Premier League club full time. Later in the year, Venables returned to the England set-up as assistant to new manager Steve McClaren. He was later sacked from this role in November 2007, along with McClaren, after England failed to qualify for the 2008 European Football Championship [8]."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Definitely sounds like the right man for the job......

"Australia

Venables' next managerial role was with Australia. His side swept through the Oceania World Cup qualifiers but were beaten in a play-off by Iran on away goals, a match often referred to as the most tragic moment in Australian football history. With the team having drawn 1-1 in Tehran, Australia lead the second leg 2-0 at half time but the partisan crowd were left stunned when they conceded two late goals. Venables was later sacked.

Crystal Palace

His appointment had created a media frenzy, with Goldberg boasting that he was going to turn Palace into a European force within the next five years. But the dream was over within a year, and Palace narrowly avoided going out of business.

In July 2002, Venables joined Leeds United as manager. Despite Venables inheriting a stronger squad than the one that had qualified for the UEFA Champion's League two years earlier, by December of that year the side had crashed out of both the League Cup and the UEFA Cup and were languishing in the bottom half of the table. Venables had fallen out with the vital midfield pairing of Olivier Dacourt and David Batty, and this was widely blamed for this decline.[4][5] Further trauma was to follow in January 2003, when Jonathan Woodgate was sold to Newcastle United without Venables being informed, in an attempt to pay off mounting debts. With the club spiralling towards relegation, Venables was sacked in March 2003.[6]

England (assistant)

Venables was linked with Australian club Newcastle United Jets in 2005, but his commitments in the UK prevented him from taking up a role within the club, and his agent announced that he did not sign any deal with the club. At the end of the 2005–06 season, he was linked with a return to Middlesbrough,[7] but decided that at his age he would be unable to manage a Premier League club full time. Later in the year, Venables returned to the England set-up as assistant to new manager Steve McClaren. He was later sacked from this role in November 2007, along with McClaren, after England failed to qualify for the 2008 European Football Championship [8]."

That is a shocking CV.

"His side swept through the Oceania Cup qualifiers...."

Tel must have wrote that glowing entry himself. ffs, you would somehow expect a nation of 20 million people to whip a few dozen islander neighbours who probably have a million people between them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I still have nightmares about his time at Leeds. Incredibly overrated manager who was OK once but has been living off past glories for 20 years. His rather shady character doesn't inspire much confidence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I dont see what all the negative talk about El Tel is. Leeds were in a mess when Venebales took over. The club was in dept, the only player he bought was Barmby. Woodgate, Keane and Ferdinand were sold. I think Fowler was aswell, that was just to pay off the debt. I thought Darcourt and Batty were both injured.

He came in as Head Coach to Middlesbourogh in 2001. They were bottom of the Premiership and finished 14th and He also won manager of the month that year!

A lot of people have said to me about him "what about the way he is portrayed?"

yeah well what about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tom Bowers wrote Broken Dreams, essential reading for any football fan

El Tel is no more than a crook. He won't concentrate on Irish job and he'll too busy working on his other "projects"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's grand lads, it's not true. Some fella's mate on the gambling forum saw Didier Dischamps out the FAI headquarters in Merrion Square(rofls) yesteday, so it looks like Didier is the nap of the day!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

micmclo wrote: »
    Tom Bowers wrote Broken Dreams, essential reading for any football fan

El Tel is no more than a crook. He won't concentrate on Irish job and he'll too busy working on his other "projects"

yeah thats an excellent book el tel has somewhat of a shady reputation and harry rednapp gets slated in that book aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i'm sure Big Sams name will crop up now, he started out with Limerick i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

DaveH wrote: »

He came in as Head Coach to Middlesbourogh in 2001. They were bottom of the Premiership and finished 14th and He also won manager of the month that year!

A lot of people have said to me about him "what about the way he is portrayed?"

yeah well what about it?

Can we not aim a bit higher than a manger that won manager of the month one month in 2001? If we were to go around interviewing each manger that met that criterion, we'd be spending a long, long time interviewing.

It's grand lads, it's not true. Some fella's mate on the gambling forum saw Didier Dischamps out the FAI headquarters in Merrion Square(rofls) yesteday, so it looks like Didier is the nap of the day!

:D

Sweet mother of Jesus.

If you believe ****e like this, exactly how much do you lose per year gambling?

How much have you lost on previous dead certs like O`Leary and Souness by now then?

For a start, headhunters usually fly out to visit the hunted, not ask them to fly to Dublin for a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sarcasm lads. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

seriously lads, i begin to wonder anout some 'fans'

the man hasnt even been appointed yet and some will be wanting him out

at least give him a chance, starting to sound like (some) newcastle fans here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

My own opinion is he's worth a shot.

+ Very good coach and has a reputation of having very good man management, player motivation and tactical skills.
    + Deep knowledge of the English leagues and the English/Irish style of play i.e. 4-4-2 pressure defence and quick counterattacking play.
    + Is reported to have tried to implement positive changes as Englands #2 during the Croatia match (wanted to push on for win) but was overruled by McClaren.
    + Would want to prove he is still an good manager.
    + No transfer dealings need to be made.

- Has a reputation as a having very dodgy off the field activities.
    - At times distracted by media entanglements.

IMO the positives outweigh the negatives. At least he's a proper manager as opposed to a rookie trainer. I'm a Leeds fan and he wasn't to blame for the mess he inherited at Leeds. He was very harshly treated by Ridsdale and the Board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Can we not just chuck this whole international soccer thing? We gave it go, had a few laughs in 90's, but jokes looking a little tired.

If we want to win things, we need to find an international sport that's nobodies national game and then thow all our money and resources into it. Badmington perhaps, or Fencing? I know a few fellas who are handy with a stanley blade, who knows what they could achieve with a four foot saber on the world stage.

I think El Tel is (note is, not was) a bad manager and you've only to look at the CV posted by kaisersose77 to see he's more than a little distracted by his other interests. I'd rather hire a 15 year old with a good FM2007 record.

Manger of the month in 2001? ffs.

Having said all that, the question "oh yeah? then who?" is at the back of mind, and frankly, Ireland manager is a crap job with little financial incentive. so we have the choice of washed up old boy or unproven new boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

theCzar wrote: »
    If we want to win things, we need to find an international sport that's nobodies national game and then thow all our money and resources into it. Badmington perhaps, or Fencing? I know a few fellas who are handy with a stanley blade, who knows what they could achieve with a four foot saber on the world stage.

id say we could even manage to lose a hurling world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Kaiser Soze i dont think you understand that NOBODY wants this job.

You keep saying "What has he won?" and "I dont see getting a club promoted an achievement." But its not like Marcelo Lippi is jumping at the job.

Your expectations of a manager are far too high. But i do agree with you that i dont want Venebles, the man destroyed Leeds and is clearly way past his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm willing to give him a chance although not happy. Reaching the playoffs shouldn't be an impossible job so I don't think he'll be a spectacular failure

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Sarcasm lads. ;)

My apologies to Chukcy the Tree :p I saw he clearly has an interest in gambling, then thought of a certain mate of mine who until he shook the habit would put hi whole weeks wages on one or two horses based entirely on what some old wanker down the pub told him.

Ive heard alot of talk about Tel being some type of cockney only fools and horses wideboy, what exactly is/was the scandal he was involved in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm willing to give him a chance although not happy. Reaching the playoffs shouldn't be an impossible job so I don't think he'll be a spectacular failure

Stan has permanently lowered the bar for spectacular failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

id say we could even manage to lose a hurling world cup.

well we did lose what was pretty much a game of gaa against the australians so you're pretty much on the money there! i really think we should give tel a shot (id personally prefer brady/giles but thats just me) if tel is named manager lets see what he can do, he cant be worse than the last fella we had!

shane86 wrote: »
    Ive heard alot of talk about Tel being some type of cockney only fools and horses wideboy, what exactly is/was the scandal he was involved in?

From Wikipedia:
    Venables is also well known for his business interests, most notably with English clubs Tottenham Hotspur and Portsmouth. However, on 14 January 1998 he was disqualified by the high court from acting as a company director for seven years under section 8 of the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 for mismanagement of four companies - the London drinking club Scribes West Ltd, Edenote plc, Tottenham Hotspur plc and Tottenham Hotspur Football and Athletic Company Ltd.[12] The case was brought by the Department of Trade and Industry who cited instances of bribery, lying, deception, manipulation of accounts and taking money that should have been given to creditors.[13]

Having been a football pundit for BBC since the mid-80s, he left for ITV in 1994, following a legal dispute with the corporation over allegations made against him in the Panorama programme.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    But i do agree with you that i dont want Venebles, the man destroyed Leeds and is clearly way past his best.

im a leeds fan and i can tell you that is 100% false, at least get statements right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

event wrote: »
    im a leeds fan and i can tell you that is 100% false, at least get statements right

How do Leeds fans feel about O'Leary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its just what ive been told from 4 of my Leeds supporting mates.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How do Leeds fans feel about O'Leary.

me personally, i dont blame him really

yeah he spent all the money, but he was given it and told i was alright.
    ridsdale is the main culprit, blame lies squarely wit him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

me personally, i dont blame him really

yeah he spent all the money, but he was given it and told i was alright.
    ridsdale is the main culprit, blame lies squarely wit him

His book did not go down to well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Its just what ive been told from 4 of my Leeds supporting mates.

Well they dont know what there talking about. Rot had well and truly set in before El Tel took over. Ferdinand was sold before he started. Robbie Keane wanted out before el tel was appointed. Woodgate was sold by the chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Big Sam as his assistant :D

• Advertisement

The problem with Venables at Leeds was that he was brought in to stop the rot and things went from bad to worse while he was there. He had a reputation as a top quality manager but he left the club in greater disarray than when he found it, and while not all of this was his fault, he does have to take his share of the blame. It was clear that he was only in it for the money, a fact borne out when he refused to defer the money the club owed him after he left, despite them being in a dire financial situation. Having said all that, his record was significantly better than Peter Reid who succeeded him.

Advertisement