Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my puppy Isabella tomorrow

Options
  • 12-01-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Ive always had dog around me when i was a kid. When i went to college and to work i never had the time or place to keep one.

I now since have my own home and live alone in my new house, so ive decided before christmas i was going to get a dog.

Now, unless i wanted to get a purebred dog i absolutely refuse to buy a dog. There are hundreds / thousands of dogs that are in the pound and animal welfare units throughout the country so these little tykes need a home and i got one :)

I went to the welfare centre before christmas, and as i predicted once i seen all the dogs i wanted to take them all home! It was so cute looking at all the dogs trying to sell them selves to me.. Pick me! pick me! I decided i would need a pup for the reason that i could probably house train it more successfully than an older dog, however i did say to them if there is an adult dog terrier that was difficult to home i would consider it.

I picked after much much ardious decision making a bitch pup from a litter of 3, 6 month old Jack Russell Pups, oddly enough, she was by far the shyest of the 3 and the least dominant, so i felt because of this less likely to get picked by other ppl.

The pup is a bitch, so i duely named her after my ex Isabella.

Ive all the squeky toys, chewable items, pup food, bowls, collars and blankets i or she will ever need and i collect her tomorrow.

Shes had her full vaccinations and i need to get her nutered, this bit is the part that worries me, i know its really is necessary but i hate having to put her through it, but its for the best. Im told there can be risks involved :(

Im so excited about tomorrow :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

if you don't mind me asking, why would you call a dog after your ex?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Neutering is so important. For your sake, you won't have the inconvenience of Isabella going into heat a few times a year and possibly unwanted pups if she gets caught. And for her sake, it can prevent certain illnesses.

The operation is not so bad. My dog was in the vets for a few hours. She was groggy for the rest of the day. The next day she was making brave efforts to play with her toys and the day after that she was as right as rain. I was amazed at the speed of her recovery.

Do it quick and don't think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ulster wrote: »
    if you don't mind me asking, why would you call a dog after your ex?

The pup is a bitch, so i duely named her after my ex Isabella, she too was a bitch :D

Bitter much?

No, actually im only joking about that, i just really like the name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

Congratulations :D bet your counting down the hours!
    Im sure you new addition will settle in just fine and will have a long happy life with you!! Isabelle is a lovely name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

lol @ the name choice :p

congrats on getting a little one from a rescue, she sounds like a cutie and I'm sure you'll have you're hands full with her, JRT's are so mischievous, they are very entertaining that's for sure hehe.

sound's like you've done your shopping anyway, I'm a bit addicted to buying things for dog's/animals and have enough stuff for about 10 dog's lol! (a sign of what's to come probably) :p

• Advertisement

My sister has a minature Jack russel Terrier.
    Hes such a little wa*nker!! Always up to somthing!! So cute :o
    He even has his own Bebo page! :eek:

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4980230451

A Bebo page :confused: well theres a first haha just looked at it,bless! hes a cutie alright. So does this mean we shall see isabella on bebo now too,i demand some pictures as soon as you get her!!!

4980230451a6049497919ml.jpg

he looks like the proper PIMP here :D

Yea , she really loves that lil Mutt!

Dogs are different than other pets particularly their closest rivals cats... dogs show loyality and affection to people, where cats dont.

I remember in 1988 when i was a kid, my dog Hobo got hit by a car and broke his back leg, the vet saents he could fix is leg for £30, but he always limp and advised to put him down, i disagreed but had no say in the matter, i still disagree. I mourned so much i was sick for days, i remember my father telling me to copp on, but its a "boy and his dog" thing that many ppl dont understand :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Take a look at

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/searchresults/?sq=neutering

There are many many reasons why you should get your dog neutered

If you don't mind me asking are the rescue group happy to give her out intact or is it because she's too young to be done yet.

Getting a female neutered before they have their first season reduces the risks of mammary cancer by 99% !
    It also prevents pyometra which is a horrible womb disease females can get from not being done too.
    Apart from the health risks it is a serious pain in the butt having a dog in season - the mess , the potential for escaping and mating - the male dogs in the area going nuts
    Best of luck with your dog and I hope the link gives you some info to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

snyper wrote: »
    4980230451a6049497919ml.jpg

Dogs are different than other pets particularly their closest rivals cats... dogs show loyality and affection to people, where cats dont.

Hey congrats on the new addition, it's great you decided to give a rescue dog a good home. But I (and my cats) take offence at your loyalty comment!! There is nothing so loyal as a hungry cat! ;):o:D

• Advertisement

I got her, and she is sooo nice.. she was so shy at first, but now shes the Lady of the house, she follows me everywhere! shes the best woman ive ever had in the house, she jumps up onto the couch with me and watches whatever chanesl i watch, and does not complain!! :D

.. one drawback.. man does she like to poop on my solid oak floor.. maaaan it smells sooo bad!! i can get the smell out of my mind!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

LOL Congratulations! If the smell is that bad you should try a different puppy food. Something besides pedigree etc, your vet should be able to recommend one.

Welcome to the life of a dog owner... :rolleyes:

Advertisement