Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

mad man wrote: »
    .............What is certainly true is that any thing you build that is any way inovative will result in someone writing a letter into the paper,going on Billy McCarty or lodging an objection which will describe it using words like a)ghetto,b)high rise flats,c)glass boxes.

That is so true mad man.:(

Centra will hopefully be only the first shop. With an anchor tenant in place, shops that are more interesting will hopefully fill up the remaining space. Waterstones and HMV would be great. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can't believe they finished Railway Square without a anchor tenant in place, madness I tell you.

Can't see it filling up anytime soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote: »
    I can't believe they finished Railway Square without a anchor tenant in place, madness I tell you.

You're right, when they couldn't find an anchor tenant they should have stopped building and let the wind blow through the place, proper order!

Lets hope you are very wrong about it filling up. Quite the withering assessment.

The problem with the place, in my opinion, is that the internal design was poor. There is a lot of space in there but it's all on the ground floor, so it would suit normal shops but the square footage is too large. It wouldn't suit many larger stores because it's all on one floor. I have the impression that the floors are very low too, but maybe that's just in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I suspect Musgraves were always going to be an anchor tenant. Visualisations before building even started had Super Valu in among the generic shops, so Musgraves probably just decided to use Centra instead of Super Valu more recently.

• Advertisement

Yeah cause they'll put a stop to all the illegal parking, :rolleyes:
    I've seen people parking in the bus stops down on the quays...these people don't give a **** because nobody is ever going to give them a ticket

I'm all for having a mobile car crusher patrolling the Quays ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah railway square is a shame but hopefully they will fill it up at some stage in the future as it could be a great location under the proper direction.
    Waterford needs to move on with these types of building projects. The new shopping centre is a fantastic idea. Whereas Waterford is a hugely historical/heritage city we can't make it 100% just about that. Modernising the City has taken some large steps in recent years so lets hope the good work continues with proper thought and public input also.
    We're always complaining that we are not regarded as a proper City. This is a milestone in gaining that proper recognition we know we deserve! :D

Where has this come from? It has been know that Musgrave’s is to be the anchor tenant in Railway Square long before they finished building it. They applied for planning permission to adjust their space and were turned down the first time. They had to change and apply again and got it the second time. That has been part of the delay. See the planning permissions:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07174

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07361

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07426

This thing of finishing without an anchor tenant in place is not true a toll.

I remember a big plan in the papers several years ago about the Lisduggan centre being redeveloped. It was going to be a lot bigger, with M&S being a main anchor tenant (along with another major retailer, IIRC) and Tesco moving to a new building near it too. Was that all hot air or did it just fail to get permission?

Kahless wrote: »
    I remember a big plan in the papers several years ago about the Lisduggan centre being redeveloped. It was going to be a lot bigger, with M&S being a main anchor tenant (along with another major retailer, IIRC) and Tesco moving to a new building near it too. Was that all hot air or did it just fail to get permission?

It got planning all right. Lately, I saw a planning application to amend part of the original permission so I take it from that something is moving there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Musgraves is Super Value, Centra and there warehouse. Super Value were originaly the anchor tenant, but it seems Musgrave put Centra in. I assume they dont think this is an anchor tenant, and it will actually be a Super Value in addition?
    Where has this come from? It has been know that Musgrave’s is to be the anchor tenant in Railway Square long before they finished building it. They applied for planning permission to adjust their space and were turned down the first time. They had to change and apply again and got it the second time. That has been part of the delay. See the planning permissions:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07174

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07361

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07426

This thing of finishing without an anchor tenant in place is not true a toll.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It got planning all right. Lately, I saw a planning application to amend part of the original permission so I take it from that something is moving there.

Interesting.. is there any article that states whats happening (planning wise) and what the plan to go in there is? Never knew M&S were part of the picture!

Sully wrote: »
    Interesting.. is there any article that states whats happening (planning wise) and what the plan to go in there is? Never knew M&S were part of the picture!

All I really know is from the planning applications. I never heard of the M&S thing either. But when you think about it, it makes sense. The second application kind of sounds like an M&S with the second floor. They want a store in Waterford, they have said they would like an out of town one, they failed to get the necessary zoning on the Airport Rd. Lisduggan is ready to go, so…………………we’ll see.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=05217

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07423

Bear in mind that the article I mentioned is from over 5 years ago, so it could be different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

they have no tennants, m&s only showed a little interest in it.They were looking at a site out by 6cross roads in november but apparently they have no future plans to open in waterford.

As expected, its been delayed yet again. What the hell is wrong with our country? They got asked for more information on January 24th so that puts it back until March 10th. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A decision was due on this today after been put back from March 10 to today, Guess what, it has yet again been put back for yet another couple of weeks.

This is really getting beyond a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

If they cant make a judgement every couple of weeks you begin to wonder what they are doing????????

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A decision was due on this today after been put back from March 10 to today, Guess what, it has yet again been put back for yet another couple of weeks.

This is really getting beyond a joke.

Christ. Someone needs to tell them to cop the **** on. Youd think there would be some policy / law that prevents delays. This could go on indefinately. I wonder is this the plan? Keep delaying until the company gives up?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

sound like the north quay?

• Advertisement
Advertisement