Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Efficent driving

Options
  • 12-01-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was watching Top Gear sometime over Xmas and they had the old episode where the guys each bought a supercar for under a grand, and then had to drive it on 1 tank of petrol. Anyone remember that? In it, the hamster was driving along the road and someone went to overtake him and he was shouting "please don't overtake me, please don't overtake me" as if the act of being overtaken would reduce his fuel efficency. Why is this? Or am I taking the whole thing out of context? I just thought if there was a scientific reason for it, someone here would know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

corblimey wrote: »
    In it, the hamster was driving along the road and someone went to overtake him and he was shouting "please don't overtake me, please don't overtake me" as if the act of being overtaken would reduce his fuel efficency. Why is this? Or am I taking the whole thing out of context? I just thought if there was a scientific reason for it, someone here would know.

Wasn't it something along the lines that it was a lorry or caravan going to overtake him and he would have been ashamed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I thought been overtaken would be a good thing.
    He could draft behind the car then and possibly save fuel

I've no idea if this works but cyclists do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Wasn't it something along the lines that it was a lorry or caravan going to overtake him and he would have been ashamed?

That's possible. Certainly a caravan :)
    micmclo wrote: »

Well that would only work if he was directly in front. My first thought was that the slipstream caused by the overtaker coming up his side would cause him to slow down a little but surely the difference would be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

He actually says, "dont overtake you fool! Great, thats put my red warning light on"
    Dont know what he could be on about really. It shows a shot of james like hes passing hammond out but doesnt... not sure really. Maybe hammond was leading the way and had to stay ahead of James.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

micmclo wrote: »

I've no idea if this works but cyclists do it

In order to get a good slipstream off the vehicle in front you have to be so far up their @rse you would be done for tailgating. Very Very dangerous. Do know someone who did it years ago on a long journey behind a truck and figurered they used a lot less petrol. But you are in no way safe doing this.

Do you see the crashes the cyclist have when doing this? And thats only people on bikes. 2 tonnes of steel make much bigger mess of everything inside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Shamrogue wrote: »
    He actually says, "dont overtake you fool! Great, thats put my red warning light on"
    That was it exactly, Shamrogue, as if the act of being overtaken turned on his red warning light (presumably showing his empty fuel tank)

Advertisement