Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing pistol back to Ireland?

Options
  • 12-01-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I have lived in Hungary for quite a while now, but I'm moving back to Ireland soon,
    I am a member of a club here, and own my own 9mm (cz75).
    When I move back home, I assume I can take my pistol with me, but will I have to put all the security measures that you guys talk about in place first? i.e monitored alarm, safe etc

I tried to find info about it, but couldnt, if anyone could help me here it would be much appreciated

regards

steppen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It really depends on your local Superintendent. He has to issue you your licence and he can set the conditions. Everyone here has had a different story with pistols and there have been quite a few refusals for 9mm's in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

steppen wrote: »
    I have lived in Hungary for quite a while now, but I'm moving back to Ireland soon,
    I am a member of a club here, and own my own 9mm (cz75).
    When I move back home, I assume I can take my pistol with me, but will I have to put all the security measures that you guys talk about in place first? i.e monitored alarm, safe etc

I tried to find info about it, but couldnt, if anyone could help me here it would be much appreciated

regards

steppen

If you are moving back to Ireland all you will need to do is apply for a Firearms Certificate from the Superintendent in the area where you intend to reside. Once granted then you may travel with the firearm or import it without a importation certificate, forgive me but off the top of my head I am unsure if Hungry is part of the EU, if it is then you will need an Article 7 from the Super at some point, either before at the time or after you import it.

Hope this helps:

You may be granted the certificate in Ireland on the strengeth of your Hungarian certifiicate, they may insist you join a club!

Presently the legislation has not been brought into force to require you to store the gun securily however even though the legislation is not in place a good gun safe is certainly worth it.

Regards
    Declan

PS If you are moving to Dublin, two good options for clubs are:

1) East Coast Shooting Club: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun

http://www.eastcoastshootingclub.com/

2) Hilltop Sports Club: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun

http://www.pcquad.com/

Advertisement