Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I qualify as a first time buyer?

Options
  • 12-01-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've sold my house in the UK, all the legal stuff has hapened and I have my "surplus" money and no mortgage.

As I am now buying a house in Ireland should I qualify as a first time buyer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

No. Doubtless there will be people in your situation who will try to get away with it. It is very tempting as stamp duty is pretty high in Ireland. But the government has had a huge income stream in stamp duty over the last few years, now that is drying up they are likely to start hunting down those who have evaded it. It could take 5/10 years for them to find you, it could take 20, but at any point you could get a letter demanding the money you plus interest. Not really worth the risk in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Correct- there is a whole new unit in the Revenue Commissioners investigating false stamp duty claims- for this very reason. To be honest- with the reform of stamp duty, along with the average prices paid for property- a lot of the difference between FTBs and other purchasers has been eroded (particularly at the lower end of the market).

Pay your tax dues and be a decent law abiding citizen like all of us should be. It simply doesn't pay to try and con the taxman- he/she will always catch up with you in the end, and these days its likely to be sooner rather than later.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rhinos13

I didn't say I wasn't going to pay it - I pay tax like everyone else.

I was just checking the advice I had been given was correct

Advertisement