Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a bike!

Options
  • 12-01-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

New to the cycling forum. Due to dodgy knees and impact wear and tear I am ditching the jogging for cycling as a means of staying active. I havent cycled in years so am way out of the loop of whats in and out in terms of bikes these days.

Basically what im looking for is something to cycle a few kms in the phoenix park a couple of times a week. Would be looking at a budget of maybe 350e.

Any helps appreciated.

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would probably go for a hybrid- something like a Trek 7.1FX or a Dawes Discovery. 350e is a little tight, could you go to say 450?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

decent but entry level road racing bikes start at 700eur. second hand may be the best way to go. this forum is littered with threads about finding the cheapest road bike, i suggest you start digging for some golden nuggets of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

if its just a few kms in phoenix park, you wouldnt need an entry level road racing bike, id agree with blorg about the hybrid. if you can stretch the budget, go for Lapierre RCR100 http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=12394 (€439). or maybe a second hand Giant FCR3 http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=16575

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cycling is no substitute for jogging as regards to fitness.:o
    if you want to keep fit you will have to cycle maybe four to five times longer than your usual jogging distance, id reccomend a entry level proper racer, not the mickey mouse sub €500 jobs:o
    Running with the right runners and on grass will cut the impact on your joints:)
    best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You can get fitted with correct runners and that will cut down on injury.
    I don't know anywhere in Dublin that does this but I've used this place in Bray.
    They test you and give you the correct runners for you. I highly recommend them.

The two bikes recommended above look good. If you know the correct frame size you can order the Giant here for about 100euro cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

for XC running, nike structure triax are very good, I use nike air moto which are spot on for me. but ive a neutral gait.
    people are different, so the right runners are extremly important to avoid injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe a decent second hand bike like noblestee suggested might be the way to go. I only really want it to put up 10k 2 nights of the week in the park on the nights im not playing footie.

Cheers for the advice.

R.O.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

On chainreactioncycles.com they have a beone briza 1.0 for 372 euro. its down from 600 euro. great value. I got one and im enjoying it.

Advertisement