Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton's first interview

• 12-01-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

He's making himself out be the Irish Bertie Vogts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=507763&in_page_id=1779

"People in Scotland are only now talking about the good job Berti Vogts did in bringing those young players through. At the time, he was ridiculed. A figure of fun. But if you ask Walter Smith or Alex McLeish, they will both give him a verbal pat-on-the-back for what he did. He took all the flak.

"I believe there are similarities with what I've been through. Why do you think so many people want the Ireland job now? They weren't queuing up for it two years ago, were they? Top managers aren't stupid, they can see what's coming."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I felt sorry for him, and often those who criticised him had alot less of a clue about management than he ever did. The loss of Shay Given, Duff (who after a quiet spell had really come back with a bang, he was on fire in the first Slovak game) and Steven Reid possibly cost us the campaign imo. He had an awful run of injury luck in that respect. A particularly low one was when one of the rags went to his house and photographed him having a snowball fight with his kids, the headline implying he apparently a care in the world, a few days after one of the horror games (San Marino I think), and reported how he basically told them angrily to **** off. He had a point re the media in that regard, ffs he isnt allowed a non work life either?

However, the decisions in the 2nd Slovak game killed it for me. You can blame players to an extent, but if you keep picking the same underperforming players, in particular sticking to the puerile "the captain always plays" rule, it is your call. Bizarre rambling statements at post match press conferences never helped the case either. Talk of no booing in San Marino, Stalinist 1950s media smear campaigns and gems such as stating Irish temas dont play to their best in February really doesnt cut it. I cant see him managing anywhere higher than league 2 or, if brave enough, eircom league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It wasn't him who helped established players like Hunt and Doyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

seriously, what a f**king muppet

he's even pulled out the injuries excuse in the interview

i did feel sorry for him but that waned when he continued to fail to take responsibility for his disastrous tactics and man-management, and still after he has been sacked nothing changes "i made Kevin Doyle", "all the injuries", "those nasty pundits on rte"..... grow some balls, take responsibility for the disaster you oversaw or you'll never doing anything with your coaching badges

Advertisement