Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake not always fully engaging

Options
  • 12-01-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I've started having problems with my VW polo, specifically with the handbrake. I pull it up what I 'think' is fully and the handbrake light comes on, then if I take my foot off the footbrake the car starts to roll backwards...albeit very very slowly, even on a steep gradient. I am extra cautious in pulling up the handbrake to begin with (as far as it will go and until it clicks) so I don't know if I should be concerned this is happening or whether the handbrake has grown especially tempremental over the few months I've had the car.

Really yanking it up again stops the rolling which I know implies I'm not fully engaging it...but it's only started happening the last week or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Maybe it's adjustable. Still under warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MollyCoddle

It's under a used dealership warranty....I think they'll charge though if I take it in and there's nowt wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's under a used dealership warranty....I think they'll charge though if I take it in and there's nowt wrong with it.

Sounds like it's not quite right- they'll almost certainly look at it for nothing. They'll know by yanking on it if it's right or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In the meantime, if you don't do this already, put the car into either 1st or reverse if you're on a hill, if the front of the car is facing up the hill, then reverse, and if the front of the car is facing down the hill, then vice versa(in any event cars should always be put into gear when they're turned off no matter where they are), and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, depending on which side of the car is next to a wall or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You don't state what year the Polo is, so I'll assume it has drum brakes at the rear.

The handbrake on a Polo is self adjusting. However, sometimes the self-adjusting wedge gets stuck (the adjusting wedge is item no.16 in the attachment). The simple solution is to jack each rear wheel up and support the car on axle stands. Remove the rear road wheels. Have someone sit inside the car and press the footbrake to the floor. While the footbrake is pressed, sharply tap the rear brake drum with a hammer (don't bash the bejaysus out of it). This tap should release the wedge and all should be well again.

Your handbrake when pulled, should come up about 4 or 5 notches on the ratchet - i.e. you should hear four or five clicks, at which point the handbrake lever should be good and tight and the car held fast.

In the meantime do as E92 says and leave it in gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement