Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport 3D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm from Westport, love the satelite imagery and all that, but the 3d thing is kinda meh. It's great quality, but as soon as you leave the four main streets of westport into non-3d maps, it is surrounded by mountains! There is no mountains whatsoever within a mile of Westport, and places where there is houses, is replaced by a mountain.

However, I'm happy with it besides, it's a great leap for westport, but there's a lot done,more to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smartattack

Hey I live in Westport too,and I think its possibly the most uninteresting thing Ive seen in a long time!Who the hell would be interested in coming to this pretty town after seeing that?Wheres the flowers that the tidy town spent time on? And your right,wheres the houses and other streets gone?For gods sake who paid these people?An artists impression would have been more benefical. Im embarressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I agree it's fairly basic at the moment, there is a more detailed 3D model on the ATM3D site, includes trees and some extra detail which may have been removed to speed up Google Earth for Irish "broadband".

At the launch they said they are planning on mapping the rest of the town and each phase will be added to Google Earth, Murrisk Abbey and other historical features may also be included. But It takes a lot of work to scan, model, position and texture all the buildings and the company are dependent on grant funding.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

you can see the company site here nad downlaod a viewer
    http://www.amt3d.com/westport3d.php
    Internet Explorer required.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

When i was watching News2Day today on RTE2, it said that 3 secondary schools in the area have started a competition to design features.

We have not started anything, nor have I been told about it. Even though, i'm sure we will contribute in some way. I hope we do get a chance to contribute.

I think it kinda started off in too much of a rush, and the fact that there are only limited streets available, missing street features, extra mountains, compared with a dire broadband service really makes for a negative experience. Hopefully, when I go back to it this time next year(even though I will use it a lot between now and then), I hope to see big improvements.

If nothing else, hopefully, Eircom will take it on there chest, and bring a proper broadband wire down to Westport, as it is, the broadband is very slow. However good people think it is, it will do much more good than bad, and therefore, I think it was a great idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement