Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial training availability in Ireland

Options
  • 12-01-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I have what is possibly a stupid question. Why is it that commercial flight training is only available in Cork, Waterford and Weston? Airports such as Shannon and even Galway would seem like good places to offer CPL training. I am starting my CPL in Cork during the summer, which means either moving down (I live in North Tipperary), or driving down 4-5 days per week.

I am just wondering is there anything regulatory which specifies if an airport can offer training, or is simply a case of supply and demand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Supply and demand, capacity, complexity, fees, facilities etc all come in to it. Galway probably low on the list because I wouldn't imagine demand is too high, Shannon/Dublin because of fees and capacity.

Nothing regulatory that I know of, though there may well be restrictions on training in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

There is no regulatory reason, just commercial. Nice as it would be to have a Commercial flying school in Galway. The demand just wouldn't warrant it. Also you don't just buy a couple of Cessnas, hire an instructor or two and set up a Flight Training Organisation offering CPL etc. JAA requirements mean you must provide classrooms for ground schools, simulators, CPL and IR instructors, complex aircraft training, a twin or two etc. Before the JAA you could. I did my CPL under the auspices of my flying club. That day is long gone.

Advertisement