Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applied Maths, Accounting, or both?

• 12-01-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm in fourth year now and need your expert opinions.

Next week we have to pick our subjects for fifth year and I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to do medicine in university so I will need some pretty hefty points. I am going to choose:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Accounting/Applied Maths

I love maths and am wondering which is easier and more enjoyable Applied Maths or Accounting?

Would I be completely shutting the door on any commerce/buinesss career by ommitting Accounting?

I was thinking that I might give both shot (one outside school or go to the 'tute) if it were possible.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I'm in 6th year applied maths and imho there's not much crossover between HL maths and applied maths (only a little bit of trig, vectors and integration). The first thing we were told in applied maths is that it was named wrong and should really be called applied physics. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but be aware that just because you are good at normal maths doesn't necessarily mean you'll find applied maths easy, especially if you're not doing physics aswell. Unfortunately, I can't speak for accounting. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I took both Applied Maths and Accounting in 5th last year. I absolutely hated Accounting. I was no good at it, and I just found it very boring in general... I suppose this could have been because of the teacher, but anyway.

Luckily since I was taking Applied Maths as an extra subject after school, I was able to drop Accounting at the start of this year. If you love maths, and problem-solving in general, I'd say that applied maths is definitely more enjoyable. However, it is a fair bit of work, and it might be fairly hard if you don't have physics as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I love maths and am wondering which is easier and more enjoyable Applied Maths or Accounting?

Would I be completely shutting the door on any commerce/buinesss career by ommitting Accounting?
    I find accounting has very little to do with the maths course, it's mainly only addition that you do. If you did business for the junior cert and didn't mind the bookkeeping you should like it.

No, but if you end up doing a business degree in college accounting would be the most important of the three business subjects to have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

tabouli wrote: »
    The first thing we were told in applied maths is that it was named wrong and should really be called applied physics.

You were told wrong tbh.

Applied Maths is the study of maths applied to other domains (e.g. physics), as opposed to pure maths which is abstract and without application.

Applied physics is a completely different subject entirely.

Further Reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_mathematics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_mathematics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_physics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

tabouli wrote: »
    The first thing we were told in applied maths is that it was named wrong and should really be called applied physics.

lol, that is so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you were doing physics I'd say definitely do applied maths. 'Course I don't do Accounting, so I can't speak for that.

As far as I'm aware, Accounting isn't a required subject to get into business courses, but of course if you want to do something accounting-related it'd seem to make sense to do it for LC too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i had this exact same problem at the end of 3rd year. But i was doing physics and knew the teacher i would have from outside school and get on really well with him etc, and he is class!! i had been told who the accounting teacher was going to be and he wasnt that good so i went with the applied maths and i love it!! From what i have heard from the accounting class, a huge amount failed their xmas test and they dont seem to enjoy class

If you were doing physics, id say defo applied maths because it makes physics way easier!! But since you are not, i suggest talk to people taking the subjects under the different teachers in your school and think of what kind of a career you want and then make the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I loved Maths when I was in school and I did Accounting and Applied Maths for the LC! Loved Applied Maths and hated Accounting but, everyone's different I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Id say accounting is easier, I am doing both atm. If you are capable of doing 8 subjects then do them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

applied maths is pretty hard for me at the moment..may be that because i don't do physics? you don't actually need physics ...but it really helps ..

as for accounting , to be honest the only reason i do it is because of the points.. i heard it is really easy to get a good grade on it ...but it really is really really sickening theres so much stuff you gotta to take in to consideration ...some people found it extremely difficult ,others thinks it so easy:D i spoz it up to you , For me tho it really isn't that hard..once you understand wot is going on and becareful with the numbers and stuff you are pretty much there ...but i have to say i am not a big fun of accounting ...:cool:

you could do acc in school and do applied maths outside? then yo could drop one if one isn't going to well ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Just like to add that your subject choices for the LC generally will have no impact on your career. Essentially, you can't "shut the door" on anything by choosing the "wrong" LC subjects.(except in a few cases relating to science courses, but I haven't seen any business courses which require business subjects)

Agreed

I did the BComm in UCC, loads of my classmates had done no business subjects in LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm currently in fifth year and while Applied Maths has certainly helped with Physics, I haven't really come across anytime wherein it's been the other way around. It's a pretty handy subject in my opinion.

As for accounting, I wouldn't know. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I'll pick applied maths and give the other a shot elsewhere. Hopefully it works out.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Advertisement