Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Phil to clean up Xbox Live.

• 12-01-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Good ol' Dr Phil has set about cleaning Xbox live of all the racism.

Story here .

With any luck this would result in Microsoft introducing the ability to ignore entire continents in matchmaking so you don't have to play with them

So long USA for me, click.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

A-Trak wrote: »
    Good ol' Dr Phil has set about cleaning Xbox live of all the racism.

Story here .

With any luck this would result in Microsoft introducing the ability to ignore entire continents in matchmaking so you don't have to play with them

So long USA for me, click.

id love to restrict matchmaking to ireland only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea that would be cool alright but I do play with some Americans occasionally and there fine!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jeebus f**king christ. I nearly want to kill the f**ker after reading that article!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

the_syco wrote: »
    Jeebus f**king christ. I nearly want to kill the f**ker after reading that article!

Guess they dont call you a syco for nothing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Restricting the matchmaking to Ireland would be great, but you would defo struggle to get a game in the less popular games... Basically only Halo 3 and COD4 would do well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im finding a lot of English people being abusive towards the Irish :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

the english are inbred scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

the english are inbred scum

At least were not sinking to their level :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

An admirable idea but it's going to be hard to solve completely, much as racism in the general day to day encounters of the world is never going to be eradicated sadly enough.
    I don't even bother using my headset unless its with my mates, completely useless otherwise listening to some tosser flinging around insults. I must admit that I haven't come across too much behaviour online, but as I said before thats probably because I restrict my online activity to people I know usually. But yeah limiting to a specific country for matchmaking would be so handy.
    I was playing Halo3 one night with a young lad from England. He was a sound enough guy but the hassle he got from the yanks was appalling. They kept shouting "ah ha ha Harry potter. Listen to this idiot." I got pissed off and told everyone to "take it handy" as is the usual Irish way :D. Next thing I heard was the yanks once again ganging up shouting "ah he's from Ireland. Are you drunk? Ha I bet your drunk!!"
    And the Americans wonder why the rest of the world thinks they're ignorant.:rolleyes::D It is bliss so they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Looks like they have started the bannings over this

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvZnTFpip0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Morlar wrote: »
    Looks like they have started the bannings over this

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvZnTFpip0

Well, he shouldn't have been modding his Xbox, should he? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alOnuN-wCY

In this case, tbf, he was baiting people into doing it.

This isnt new - its not an xbox only thing either - any online game where people interact can have pisstaking and insults

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0OiamBxxoXA

Dr phil trying to 'stamp it out' is funny.

What I don't understand is the "move or I willl come f%$k you up" type comments... no, you really won't and it doesn't scare me.

The racist stuff is a hundred times worse. Makes you wonder how these people are being hedumicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

TBH i think we all get the urge to bite the head of other xbox live users, but when i get that urge i simply turnoff my headset, shout blatantly at the tv and let my gameplay do the taliking.Then, just bcos you're not talking, they comment away critiscising every move you make.Americans mostly BTW.That really annoys me

SDooM wrote: »
    What I don't understand is the "move or I willl come f%$k you up" type comments... no, you really won't and it doesn't scare me.

The racist stuff is a hundred times worse. Makes you wonder how these people are being hedumicated!

I think its people competing and lashing out at each other. Its like if an irish person plays football in england - if they get the ball or knock somone over they are going to get lots of 'you f****ing Irish C***' and throwing shapes- its more to do with people reacting and latching onto the first difference in the heat of the moment than an actual racist or supremacist belief.

You could also argue that this sort of thing just lifts the veil on feelings that are there beneath the surface anyway but I dont buy that. Of course there are some but not all insults are the sign of xenophobia/homophobia/racism - some are just insults and not the end of the world. Grow a thick skin imo. Dr phil should stick to what he does best which is helping neurotic tv-fame obsessed americans fill their empty lives. imo.

Morlar wrote: »
    I think its people competing and lashing out at each other. Its like if an irish person plays football in england - if they get the ball or knock somone over they are going to get lots of 'you f****ing Irish C***' and throwing shapes- its more to do with people reacting and latching onto the first difference in the heat of the moment than an actual racist or supremacist belief.

You could also argue that this sort of thing just lifts the veil on feelings that are there beneath the surface anyway but I dont buy that. Of course there are some but not all insults are the sign of xenophobia/homophobia/racism - some are just insults and not the end of the world. Grow a thick skin imo. Dr phil should stick to what he does best which is helping neurotic tv-fame obsessed americans fill their empty lives. imo.

I see your point, however, I don't know one person IRL who does this online. So what's the difference between "us" and "them?" I get frustrated at games sometimes, but as said above, I let the games do the talking.

SDooM wrote: »
    I see your point, however, I don't know one person IRL who does this online. So what's the difference between "us" and "them?" I get frustrated at games sometimes, but as said above, I let the games do the talking.

Neither do I - nor do I know anyone who does behave like that (that I am aware of). The thing is if you start bringing in dr phil I dont see what that can translate into except censorship and that is a bad road to go down.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow.... thats some olympic quality whinging on that video hahahhah.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Lol it was done on a lan.. check his ping 0 ms!

A solution to annoying people! Mute them works a charm!

British people can be funny! Playing the other night on CoD4

A British guy on our team said "You got to be having a F**KING GIRAFFE stupid Yank"

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement