Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sling box and eircom

Options
  • 12-01-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hope someone can help me out..I am trying to setup Slingbox but get as far as remote viewing but it will not work..I have forwarded the ports on the router (I think) and the sling can be seen in set up on the local lan but after i try to set up remote viewing it disappears from the LAN until I reset the Slingbox...If anybody has managed to set up the sling box for remote viewing on Eircom Router (Netopia) can they post the Ip settings etc that they put in??
    It may be the firewall (Norton) which will not allow me to turn it off so I'll uninstall that and try then..

any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

I have successfully set this up. If I understand your post correctly you can stream locally on your own network but have difficulty when accessing it remotely. I am not at home at the minute so I cant check the settings on my old type Netopia. On one of the newer types Netopia 2247-02 you need to change the firewall settings to "LOW". quote(This level of firewall protection allows information to be sent securely to the Internet, but prevents most attempts from the Internet from identifying the network address of your Router. Some methods of network address identification are allowed, such as via a pinhole, IPMaps or a NAT default server.)
    Also in Configure/Advanced/NAT I think you may need to install static NAT. You can only do this when its connected to router. I am not that sure of this as I may have had it set before I set the firewall to "LOW". I also setup up a no-ip account to track to my non-static/dynamic IP address.
    Let me know which type of Netopia router you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Hi Last,
    thanks for your response (-; I finally got it sorted..I discovered that the router was not recognising the ip address of the slingbox and it kept assigning the sling box an ip of 192.168.1.4..eventually I discovered that after changing the ip of the slingbox I needed to restart the netopia for it to recognise the correct ip address for the box..happy days now.thanks again..i was too reliant on the router doing the job it was supposed to..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Glad you got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Does the slingbox work as well in real life as the Marketing says? I have 2mb broadband with bt. Would this be sufficient?

I assume it would have to be a wired connection between sling and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I was thinking about getting a slingbox but would prefer built in wireless so I got one of these instead - currently reduced to €167 in Maplin. Very pleased with it so far - when viewing locally i.e on laptop in the house it allows timeshifting etc (not when viewing over the net though). I'm on the basic smart package - 256 upload - quality is fine but I'm not a sports fan! I've got it hooked up via RGB scart to my Sky+ box and picture quality with local viewing is brilliant. One criticism is that it doesn't have a SKY+ remote skin but I managed to work around this by using it's ir code learning mode. Also remote control response is a little laggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Am living in the States and was thinking of setting up one of these boxes here so I could watch the Irish channels....anyone tested it whilst abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The main deterninant of who well it'll work is the upload speed of your Irish connection - needs to be around 250-300 kpbs or probably higher for sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Hi..
    Just got feedback from London..the pic is not great but that is due to her upload speed at home in Dublin..it's 256kb but recommended is at least 512kp upload..I still think it will need higher upload than 512kb for good quality pic..if she upgrades her broadband spped i'll get back withthe results..

Advertisement