Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G Hotel closing?

Options
  • 12-01-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Ive been hearing a lot of rumours from different people in the last few weeks that it was closing down soon. Some people saying that its not a rumour and that the owners (who are some construction company) are going to turn it into apartments.

Anyone hear anything?

I know they haven't had huge business since starting up. I was in there once and didnt think much. Its not a bad looking place but wouldn't have considered it a 5 star hotel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This is what smart construction people do. They build a hotel because of huge tax breaks and then turn the fecking things into apartment blocks. Genius. Sneaky, but genius

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I doubt if the G is closing any time soon, the owner is more likely to turn another of his Hotels , the old Corrib Great Southern and it's grounds into appartments instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

galwayrush wrote: »
    I doubt if the G is closing any time soon, the owner is more likely to turn another of his Hotels , the old Corrib Great Southern and it's grounds into appartments instead.

Is the Corrib Great Southern open again under the new name of Corrib Heights Hotel? Passed by recently and it had a big sign outside advertising vacancies/prices.

scart wrote: »
    Is the Corrib Great Southern open again under the new name of Corrib Heights Hotel? Passed by recently and it had a big sign outside advertising vacancies/prices.

Changed to that name least year, those are 'old' signs... get with the times, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I heard that the G hotel was built in should a way that the internal walls can be easily removed/moved to change into apartments. Maybe this is just one of those stories that go around.

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    I heard that the G hotel was built in should a way that the internal walls can be easily removed/moved to change into apartments. Maybe this is just one of those stories that go around.

You wouldn't be far off. Don't know if the G is built like this but it's the way hotels are being built these days. See my above post re. tax relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

And the rumour mill keeps turning.......First ive heard of this and i have mates working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've been hearing these rumours for the past 6 months or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I DOUBT IT!!! THEY COULDN'T!!!!!! Thats my favourite place for cocktails...... but then again 25 euro for coffee and a sandwich is a tad overpriced......

I'D BE GUTTED!!!!! Why give it all that cool P.R and have Erin O'Connor and other supermodels at a Phillip Treacy fashion show there a couple of months ago??????

Dayummmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I DOUBT IT!!! THEY COULDN'T!!!!!! Thats my favourite place for cocktails...... but then again 25 euro for coffee and a sandwich is a tad overpriced......
    eh? if they charge 25e for coffee and sambo...how pricie are cocktails?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'D BE GUTTED!!!!! Why give it all that cool P.R and have Erin O'Connor and other supermodels at a Phillip Treacy fashion show there a couple of months ago??????
    Hubris?

It's pretty hard to take a place seriously as an upmarket boutique hotel charging the earth when your nearest neighbours include Reid Furniture and Atlantic Homecare. I, for one, go for the "tax efficient" theory.

That or the general manager is John MacBialystock...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stayed there once, class place but very expensive.

I got a booze free cocktail and it was 9 euro, the girlfriends one with booze was 18 euro :eek:

Wouldn't let us take pictures inside either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

They charge almost a tenner for a soft drink and they wouldn't let you take photos??!! :eek: Sounds like they deserve to close with such an attitude, there can't be such a large masochists' market in Galway.

padraig71 wrote: »
    They charge almost a tenner for a soft drink and they wouldn't let you take photos??!! :eek: Sounds like they deserve to close with such an attitude, there can't be such a large masochists' market in Galway.

There's copyright issues with the decor or some muck like that

TBH if you complain about the prices, just don't go in there. You can have a meal and a drink etc. etc. cheaper in Ashford Castle and Ashford Castle / G Hotel are just non comparable (Granted theyre different types of hotel). G reminds me of posh puke, where Ashford is like a finely presentated steak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    G reminds me of posh puke, where Ashford is like a finely presentated steak

I think that that's going to be my quote of the month!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

MargeS wrote: »
    eh? if they charge 25e for coffee and sambo...how pricie are cocktails?

Well we drink the prosecco in there and thats 6 euro??? I think, 6 or 7 and then we have martinis or whatever, theyre like 13.

They're so moronic in there though, a friend and I went in there to get sloshed one night, expreimented with all the cocktails...not so cheap ones, cheap ones....... the waiters changed shifts just when we finished and ordered 2 more prosecco's and we were only charged for the 2 proseccos, lmao 14 euro for a night full of drinking, and a little bowl of warm nuts, lmao!!!!! I'd call that cheap! morons!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There's copyright issues with the decor or some muck like that

That sounds like the sort of rubbish they would tell you. Legally, it doesn't make sense. There's nothing to stop a private individual taking photos of someone else's intellectual property, otherwise you would be infringing copyright every time you took a pic of a car to sell or any item you put on eBay. Any time you photograph a person, they are wearing clothes whose design is copyright. Any building is designed by architects who own the design, but that doesn't stop you photographing it. Of course, if you were doing a photo shoot in order to sell magazines or exploit the copyright in some other way, that might be different, but I don't think that's what the poster was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

God, there are so many negative comments about the place in this post! You have to wonder what it is about the g that gets to people so much.

I work for a sister hotel company and I can say categorically that the place is not closing down.

On another point you hear from every miserable taxi driver in the city...how on earth could a cup of tea and a sandwich possibly cost 25 euro!!!??? For one thing what kind of sandwich could it be...as far as I remem the g, sandwiches are all under a tenner and tea varies depeding on the brand but can cost no more than a fiver. And think about it when does a coke cost a tenner. They would be rightly lynched if that was the case, but when you think logically about it no one in Galway could charge that!!!! What you pay for if you still think that is expensive is service and surroundings.

The interiors as puke v Ashford Castle....hmmm.....well the owners of the g are due to become the owners of Ashford shortly so they will have in their hotel group two of the finest hotels in the west of Ireland. Both very different offers, both very different in terms of style and service, both subject to the personal taste of people or dare I say it the lack of it at times...

The level of detailing from lights to tiles to furniture to music in the g is unreal, it is very special and the international awards it has received recognise this. It's a shame that it is not recognised in Galway as such. But then again the amount of new hotels in Ireland that imitate the g or get their inspiration (some of these in Galway) from it are many....but if you want your meat and two veg hotel there are plenty of places where you can go in this town.

anyway that's my tuppence worth....also would like to throw out there that these rumours came about when a new hotel opened in Galway and began to go after all our business...partic for race week. I am just surprised that they have lasted so long...but that's the thing about the g, love it or hate it, we still talk about it!

PS for those of you who want to see a room, found this online:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VideoGallery-g186609-d548446-i17073315-The_g-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

Galvianlord; regardless of the owners of Ashford Castle and and the G becoming one and the same, I think that JohnClearys comment is very apt in decribing the difference between the two.

Ashford Castle is a renowned top class hotel in beautiful surrounding, affording it's guests every luxury.

The G, and correct me here if I'm wrong, opened stating that it was a 5 star hotel. As far as I am aware, a hotel must be operational for 12 months before it gets rated, and must have a certain level of amenities, amongst which would be a swimming pool and leisure centre. Also, the G, as stated by someone earlier, is situated in a shopping centre, and any of the rooms with a view also face onto one of the citys busiest roadways, with a constantly high traffic noise should the guest choose to open a window. A few of my customers have stayed in the G, and have said that while the rooms are lovely and the staff friendly, the reception is stark and the food in the restaurant is a disgrace. One couple I know were pointed in the direction of restaurants in the city centre rather then toward the restaurant in the hotel itself.

If you are working in a sister hotel, perhaps you're situated in the Merrick, which in it's glory days under the Great Southern banner once afforded its guests all the trapping of wealth. I do have to say here that I feel that some of the work done on the Merrick is very nicely done.

In my opinion, the G is most certainly the poor relation in this family of hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

non-alcoholic cocktails €8.50
    200ml soft drink €2.75
    Tea varies from €4.50 to €6
    Coffee from €4 to €4.5

I think the €25 tea and sandwich that the hotel advertises in the local media refers to "the g tea" which is actually €27, comprising of
    tea, selection of 5 sandwiches, some scones and sweet treats..

http://www.theg.ie/images/File/New%20lounge%20menu%20041107.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

God, there are so many negative comments about the place in this post! You have to wonder what it is about the g that gets to people so much.

anyway that's my tuppence worth....also would like to throw out there that these rumours came about when a new hotel opened in Galway and began to go after all our business...partic for race week. I am just surprised that they have lasted so long...but that's the thing about the g, love it or hate it, we still talk about it!

Well for me when i went in the interior was absolutely terrible.The reception looked like a clinic for colonics,the corridor was full of staff standing around doing nowt and the colors chosen for some of the rooms were so bright they were headache inducing.If i stay in a hotel i want to be able to relax not to have a headfvck.And as for its view and location well no need for me to pass comment really.Anyway thats my opinion :)

What really puzzles me is how you think this new hotel has gone after your business partic for race week?Every Hotel in the county is practically booked out that whole week so you can't be losing business.If its because its closer to the track (and its way closer) obviously its better suited to punters but once again has nothing to do with taking your business.

padi89 wrote: »
    What really puzzles me is how you think this new hotel has gone after your business partic for race week?Every Hotel in the county is practically booked out that whole week so you can't be losing business.If its because its closer to the track (and its way closer) obviously its better suited to punters but once again has nothing to do with taking your business.

I originally thought that Galvianlord was refering to the House Hotel, but from what you've said I take it that he means the Clayton.

I'd much prefer the Clayton to the G; it has a much friendlier atmosphere, the staff are really nice, the bar is comfortable, the food is edible, it doesn't tend to overcharge, and, if I remember correctly, they're about to open a 1,400 seater conference centre. It got the launch of the Veyronjust before race week, possible because it is far more accessible due to it's proximity to the dual carraigeway, and the fact that it isn't part of a shopping centre (I just can't seem to get away from that one...).

They also tend to be very supportive of local events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The level of detailing from lights to tiles to furniture to music in the g is unreal, it is very special and the international awards it has received recognise this.
    Pity they couldn't do something with the arse end of it so, I thought it was storage space for Maplin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

I had a wonderful experience in the g.... I was there for drinks with friends and yes the drink's were approx €2 extra compared to the prices in the city centre pubs such as the Skeff etc. However the service that we got that night was certainly worth the extra few pound. For me i was going there with my eyes (open) and therefore wasnt suprised with the extra cost, I was out for a nice drink, in great company with very nice staff.
    You get what you pay for. I dont think that every one like's to be waited on hand and foot but that night i did enjoy it. I do work within the Hospitality industry and i am quite critical regarding establishments and I realise that the g hotel is not ever one's cup of tea.

If people dont like place's like this, then just dont go, but just keep an open mind about them. I believe that there is a market for an establishment such as this in Galway but probably more suitable for tourists rather than the local market

As far as i am aware the g does have its failte ireland/AA five star rating, whether it advertised itself as having it before that or not I cant say.

I think the main problem with the Irish perception of five star hotels, is that they have to all be Ashford Castles! This isnt the case internationally, I have been in high end boutique hotels in industrial docklands in Germany, in suburbs and strip malls outside Madrid, so while the location might not be great it doesnt distract from the levels of service and beauty of surrondings in the g. Ashford doesnt even have a pool or spa!

As for the food, the restaurant is very good. I just noticed a few negative comments on that, and I have to say anytime i have been there food has been excllent in both lounges and restaurant. So its unfair to dis the whole offer because of one poor exp or because someone has a hang up about the place. A comment like disgrace seems unfair. Price wise its on a par with hte likes of ard bia and the malt house. As the Bridgestone Guide published during the week agrees with me.

As for interiors everyone is entitled to their opinions, so not going to comment. I think I have made my feelings on the wonderland quality of the place clear. But why the negativity. It is something very new for Galway. It should be praised because it allows itself to be so different. It raises the bar for hoteliers in the city. It will be the parent of hotels in Dublin and London, all that for a Galway based hotel company, a major employer etc is that not something the city should be proud of!?

Let the negativity roll on....we seem to have gone from it closing to just knocking it, god knows i could do that about plenty of hotels, clayton, ardilaun, imperial, house, but whats the point, all cater to different people with different expectations...IMO there is a welcome place for the g in that mix.

PS 25 EURO for afternoon tea is not bad, compared with other hotels & cmon people that is more than just a cup of t with sambos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

As for the food, the restaurant is very good. I just noticed a few negative comments on that, and I have to say anytime i have been there food has been excllent in both lounges and restaurant. So its unfair to dis the whole offer because of one poor exp or because someone has a hang up about the place. A comment like disgrace seems unfair. Price wise its on a par with hte likes of ard bia and the malt house. As the Bridgestone Guide published during the week agrees with me.

Hang on here, it clearly isn't just based on one bad experience. I haven't set foot in the place myself but i've never heard a good word about the food there. you are without a doubt the first i've come across who is positive about the place. Can't argue with the masses...

ah come on, you havent even been there and you take umbrage....maybe you should try the food first before passing judgement, just a thought....in the interests of balance, which seems to be lacking in this thread.

another vid link to the hotels bday fashion show with philip tracy

http://www.rte.ie/tv/offtherails/av_20071205.html?2315661,null,228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

It is something very new for Galway. It should be praised because it allows itself to be so different. It raises the bar for hoteliers in the city

The problem with the G is it tried to be too different and ended up just looking pretentious much like the sham that is Tosh :rolleyes:.All i heard about the G was the whole spiel they were spinning before they opened,that the interior was designed by Philip Tracy.Thats great but i think he should stick to the hats after having a look around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

dont knock it unless you have tried it!:)

Advertisement