Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G Hotel closing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Galwaytech

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Why, have you tried to move them? :D FFS we weren't trying to imply that they were held together with glue and self tappers, but from a construction point of view, a lot of the walls could be knocked to re-design the building without interfering with the strength of the structure.

Prove me wrong though, I know how a lot of hotel workers are qualified engineers/construction workers/architects :p

John, I've not tried to move them but I have had to work with trades that are qualified on the structure of the building, and beleive me, they have caused several problems.

I think the post I was referring to was implying that it would be very easy and cheap to convert the building. All buildings can be converted to another use if enough money is available, I agree with you John.

But it's not going to happen..... just yet.

I did hear that the next Harry Potter Movie is going to be filmed in Connemara!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I stayed in the G about a year ago as my wife's Uncle had a party there. I have to say I think the place is superb and the room was not over priced. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Apparently - The IBIS is being turned into a centre for asylum seekers. Electricians are taking out the light switches in all the rooms (very random detail -- obviously all asylum seekers eat a lot of carrots, or while you may have the right to claim asylum you do not have the right to switch on your own light....)

Any comments?

It's true! about the hotel i mean. It'll house asylum-seekers until 2011.
    Are there any tax-breaks involved in this type of venture, anyone know?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's true! about the hotel i mean. It'll house asylum-seekers until 2011.
    Are there any tax-breaks involved in this type of venture, anyone know?
    Sounds a bit rum to me, given that the number of asylum applications has dropped dramatically over the last couple of years.

Still, who am I to get in the way of a good "fureners are steelin out hotles" story. Best get the Gubmint to do something about it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Perhaps this will mean the end of the Eglington Hotel for this purpose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps this will mean the end of the Eglington Hotel for this purpose?

The old Ibis has 100 rooms and is much nicer than that slum the Eglington, it would be a good idea, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I stand corrected. Perhaps this will mean the end of the Eglington Hotel for this purpose?

No it probably just means that its another hotel for them.

"Ah sure the hotel is full... feckit sure we'll give them another one"

• Registered Users Posts: 11 micfur

For clarity purposes let me just state up front, I,

* was born and bred in Galway.
    * have no affiliation with the owners/workers/suppliers of the G Hotel
    * don't even know any of the above.
    * have eaten there.
    * have been to Brown Thomas perhaps 5 times in my entire life (to buy presents)
    * am a scruffy dresser

Had to say that before the accusations of bias get chucked my direction.So my opinion on its various aspects:

* Decor: It is simply stunning. Worth visiting for that reason alone. And certainly cannot be equalled west of the Shannon. However I can understand how its boldness wouldn't be to everybodys taste.
    * Food: I have eaten there 3 times (last time over a year ago) and the food has been beyond criticism each time. It is a more pricey but worth it for the quality. A question of getting what you pay for.
    * Restaurant Staff: Major black mark in my book. Each of my 3 visits I found the restaurant staff to be bordering on incompetent. Take too much time between courses, up to 45 minutes, I kid you not. No bread at table until asked for. Half clearing the table. A general air of being out of their depth.
    * General Hotel Staff: Top class. Friendly, polite and helpful. I heard a wonderful story once about the doorman putting his shoulder to a car door to squeeze in the last occupant to an over crowded Peugeot 207 who had spent an afternoon at the bar.
    * Bars: Spent a night on the beer there during Race Week 2005. One of the best nights out I have had in years. Would recommend the Black bar.

In my opinion it adds a certain welcome 'dash' to Galway. People should try it before criticising, or complementing, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Haven't been in the G much, the decor isn't to my taste.
    I did hear about this rumour of the place closing and becomming apartments.
    It was around the time of the races last summer and it came from a taxi driver.
    Interesting to hear it may have been spread about by rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well idon't have any negative comments about the place. i just stayed there for two nights for vday weekend. was amazing. staff very efficent and friendly. food and drinks were amazing. ya it is pricey but look at what goes into running the place and the decor. talk about amazing. i hope they don't close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I suppose it's whatever is your own personal taste. For the same amount of money you could stay at Ashford Castle - much more my style (don't like the snobbiness associated with it, but what a place!)

I've yet to stay there (might stay there for a night this summer) but spend most weekends up that area. Arrive by boat and up for a feed of pints at the Cottage - Bob's yer uncle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

fureners are steelin out hotles
    Noooo! Not our hotles! They may take our freedom, but they'll never take our busty teen lesbiaaaannnnnssss!!

Advertisement